Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Time to move on. Time wil tell. Can't believe this thread is still running - roll on the next game :)

When it will resurface and judgement will be passed on DS, if he plays, as to whether he gave his all against Brentford...and on and on, game after game, until season's end.
:)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Heard of a paragraph?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14718734.Dear_Dale__Your_dream_is_still_alive/?ref=mr&lp=4

Just read the Naylor open letter to Dale and the first thing that struck me was, that'll please bhanutz, as Naylor seems to share his fondness for a paragraph. Although as a suspected grammatical pedant he might find the second paragraph rather irksome, as structurally it doesn't follow the formal rules to make it a proper sentence. Surely there should have been a comma between the words "Burnley" and "And", not a full stop, although this grammatical manoeuvre would have been at the expense of a paragraph which bhanutz might have found a tad upsetting.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If I remember correctly from my school days many years ago And never started a sentence or followed full stop.

Both of which are the same thing.

And it is considered perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with 'And' for effect. Grammatically incorrect, perhaps, but rules are there to be broken. If you do it right.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this whole saga drifted into the public domain c/o DS’s agent, trying to “big him up” for sale commission purposes, rather than DS deciding to do that himself. For starters, DS will almost certainly have a confidentiality clause in his Albion contract which would restrict him talking about contractual or career matters and limit any disclosure to general comments or post-match interviews etc. If there was any doubt as to DS’s professionalism or commitment to invest 100% into his Albion efforts then TB would have cashed in, but he didn’t. TB has concluded that DS is worth more to us in the team and that he’ll pull his weight, and be a key player, in our promotion drive. One can’t fault DS for wanting to play in the Premiership and hopefully he’ll achieve that ambition with us come May next year. I would speculate that the key mistake DS made was allowing his (more experienced) agent to encourage him to go public when in hindsight a more discreet approach would have been advisable. DS and others are staying, we have a fabulous squad, we could have done with another striker but it was not to be (and we must assume that TB couldn’t get what he wanted within his budget and wasn’t prepared to pay silly money for someone who wasn’t quite right) and we are where we are. Let’s hope that we can all now get on with pursuing a top two position in what most of us feel is going to be another great season. When DS steps out for us in his next game we should all be fully behind him.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14718734.Dear_Dale__Your_dream_is_still_alive/?ref=mr&lp=4

Just read the Naylor open letter to Dale and the first thing that struck me was, that'll please bhanutz, as Naylor seems to share his fondness for a paragraph. Although as a suspected grammatical pedant he might find the second paragraph rather irksome, as structurally it doesn't follow the formal rules to make it a proper sentence. Surely there should have been a comma between the words "Burnley" and "And", not a full stop, although this grammatical manoeuvre would have been at the expense of a paragraph which bhanutz might have found a tad upsetting.

What are you banging on about?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hadn't been on this thread for a couple of days. Thought I'd just drop by to see where we were, which turned out to be a row about grammar.

I love NSC :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hadn't been on this thread for a couple of days. Thought I'd just drop by to see where we were, which turned out to be a row about grammar.

I love NSC :bowdown:

And you're surprised? :shrug:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If I remember correctly from my school days many years ago And never started a sentence or followed full stop.

That's one of those 'rules' that is taught to kids because teachers want a simple way of showing them how to break sentences. The same goes for other conjunctions like so, but and because.

Adults really don't need to follow this 'rule' and the merits of teaching it to children is questionable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
That's one of those 'rules' that is taught to kids because teachers want a simple way of showing them how to break sentences. The same goes for other conjunctions like so, but and because.

Adults really don't need to follow this 'rule' and the merits of teaching it to children is questionable.

I may be in the minority, but BG is correct, and this is a rule that I still follow to-day.

We could turn the debate up a notch by discussing whether split infinitives are permissible.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I may be in the minority, but BG is correct, and this is a rule that I still follow to-day.

We could turn the debate up a notch by discussing whether split infinitives are permissible.

He's correct that he was taught it but it's not something you need to religiously follow as an adult. Split infinitives are never permissible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports