Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club knew he wanted to leave and I would suggest that the signings of Sidwell and Norwood probably, at least to me, suggest they were preparing for his departure.

The signings of Sidwell and Norwood were because Hughton wanted 4 first choice Centre Mids unlike last year. The club were preparing for being in a stronger position to get promoted which also included keeping Stephens.
Any interview with Tony Bloom or Hughton or Barber over the summer or a quick perusal of the back page of the Argus might have given him a very strong clue as to how things might have turned out...Not sure the club , either publicly and behind the scenes, could have made it any clearer...

Bloom at Fans Forum at beginning of August "We’d very much like [Dale] to sign a new long-term deal."
Bloom at Fans Forum "We really want to keep the squad that performed so magnificently last season together but we can’t guarantee it, as no club can. But we are looking to keep our best players and strengthen the squad"
Barber on a bid for Dunk in July " but you could have used this quote for the Knockeart or Stephens bids...“We have received a bid for Lewis Dunk and it has been very firmly rejected without any discussion.
“We are very busy assembling – and soon we will be preparing – our squad for another attempt at securing promotion to the Premier League, our key ambition, so we have no intention of selling Lewis who has been, and remains, a key part of our squad.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...tle-united-transfers-brighton-firmly-11467650

Perhaps he thought they didn't mean it.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bobbys tweet is all well and good, I don't think anyone is blaming Stephens for wanting to maximise his earnings by moving to a PL club, I'm certainly not. But there are ways of going about it. As a professional, he should be capable of staying focussed, keeping his head down and carrying on with the job he is contracted and being paid HANDSOMLY by BHAFC to do. That's really not much to ask, it should really go without saying. If he got sold under those circumstances then no problem at all, he'd leave with mine and everyones thanks and best wishes.

However, losing your head to the extent that the manager then feels he has to drop you from the team, stewing for 5 weeks before putting in an 11th hour transfer request, and then grizzling on Twitter when you don't get your own way is absolutely NOT the way to go about it. That's whats got up my nose.

Spot on ... no one can begrudge him wanting to earn more money and even achieve playing in a higher division (though i think this is a secondary point). What annoys me is if he does not want to play for Brighton anymore then why didn't he put in a transfer request in a timely manner i.e. five weeks ago, itr would have made his position absolutely clear. We now have a player who is not committed and potentially has cost us points already and clearly does not care given his twitter post.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The signings of Sidwell and Norwood were because Hughton wanted 4 first choice Centre Mids unlike last year. The club were preparing for being in a stronger position to get promoted which also included keeping Stephens.
Any interview with Tony Bloom or Hughton or Barber over the summer or a quick perusal of the back page of the Argus might have given him a very strong clue as to how things might have turned out...Not sure the club , either publicly and behind the scenes, could have made it any clearer...

Bloom at Fans Forum at beginning of August "We’d very much like [Dale] to sign a new long-term deal."
Bloom at Fans Forum "We really want to keep the squad that performed so magnificently last season together but we can’t guarantee it, as no club can. But we are looking to keep our best players and strengthen the squad"
Barber on a bid for Dunk in July " but you could have used this quote for the Knockeart or Stephens bids...“We have received a bid for Lewis Dunk and it has been very firmly rejected without any discussion.
“We are very busy assembling – and soon we will be preparing – our squad for another attempt at securing promotion to the Premier League, our key ambition, so we have no intention of selling Lewis who has been, and remains, a key part of our squad.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...tle-united-transfers-brighton-firmly-11467650

Perhaps he thought they didn't mean it.

or maybe his agent told him they didn't mean it.. Need to ban agents from football they are leaching/leeching money out of football

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bobbys tweet is all well and good, I don't think anyone is blaming Stephens for wanting to maximise his earnings by moving to a PL club, I'm certainly not. But there are ways of going about it. As a professional, he should be capable of staying focussed, keeping his head down and carrying on with the job he is contracted and being paid HANDSOMLY by BHAFC to do. That's really not much to ask, it should really go without saying. If he got sold under those circumstances then no problem at all, he'd leave with mine and everyones thanks and best wishes.

However, losing your head to the extent that the manager then feels he has to drop you from the team, stewing for 5 weeks before putting in an 11th hour transfer request, and then grizzling on Twitter when you don't get your own way is absolutely NOT the way to go about it. That's whats got up my nose.

Oh well :shrug: I believe that it was only when he handed in his transfer request that Burnley exceded the £8m offer. If we had gladly taken it DS would have deserved a pat on the back foir getting us a maximum price for him. His request could have worked in our financial favour too but we didn't take it.

el punal

I'd feel sick if he kissed the badge. I can't see it happening.

I wonder what footballers did before club badges became "de rigueur" on shirts? During the 1960s and 70s many clubs didn't bother with them, even the Albion. I suppose in those days players didn't need to show their cod loyalty either - get on with the game and score or make a last ditch tackle would have been seen as the commitment required.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the last minute transfer request was a tactic by his agent. The club were making it very clear they didn't want to sell and at that stage there was absolutely no indication that Dale wanted to leave, other than the jumping to conclusions merchants on here. As far as the rest of the Premier league clubs were concerned here was an excellent player who was in demand but his club didn't want to lose him and the player was happy to stay.

Burnley had bought someone else and seemed to be losing interest so the agent sends a message to other clubs that effectively says my guy is available, come and get him, but you'll need to be quick and pay top dollar. But no further bids were forthcoming so the agent's ploy didn't work if indeed it was his plan.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Well put Easy.....agree 100% on your post. In my opinion Dale Stephens could turn out to be a pantomime villan with the fans if his performances are now not up to the standard of last season however all will be forgiven if he is seen to be committed and plays the way we all know he is capable. My money is on he will come good, let's hope so......We really need the Kayal, Stephens combination to be hitting top form to be competing in the top four.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who is the "we' that Andy is writing on behalf of?

Not me. On balance the agent on behalf of his client could have mentioned he possible pitfalls to such a move. But he might have done, we have know way of knowing.

The whole gist and idea of the open letter seems very good to me. Credit where is is due.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stoke fans?

If Stoke made a genuine bid, I could understand his frustration. Not sure he would have made their first team. Not sure we could have stood in his way either?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Stoke made a genuine bid, I could understand his frustration. Not sure he would have made their first team. Not sure we could have stood in his way either?

I think the editor of the Argus has made it clear to Andy he's no intention of selling.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand all the fuss about his late transfer request as by doing so there could only be one winner if it was accepted us. He would have lost his 5% Burnley having not had to pay it increased the offer to us so as I say 1 winner,,,,us, However TB decided, right in my eyes, that it made no difference as he didnt want to sell him so now lets move forward and see what a new contract offer in October brings for him. Hopefully the wage rise offered plus us being in for promotion again and his child happily settled in school to make his wife happy will encourage him to sign a new revised contract, If he signs his and Kayal signs his we are back in business.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Time to move on. Time wil tell. Can't believe this thread is still running - roll on the next game :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I cannot understand all the fuss about his late transfer request as by doing so there could only be one winner if it was accepted us. He would have lost his 5% Burnley having not had to pay it increased the offer to us so as I say 1 winner,,,,us, H.

Yeah great, 8 million in the coffers and a midfielder light at the end of the window. Stupid and petulant action by Stephens who should have done it months ago if he was that determined to leave.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yeah great, 8 million in the coffers and a midfielder light at the end of the window. Stupid and petulant action by Stephens who should have done it months ago if he was that determined to leave.
The 8 million included add ons.

How much of that was the fantasy add on of Burnley staying up ? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Which is why it was rejected. The onus was on Burnely for submitting ridiculously low bids and knowing TB resolve they should have have put in a bid that made him at least consider it. They didnt so DS was forced to try to help them out but well done to TB for resisting the money. Now lets move forward and make the best of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports