Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
IMHO Pritchard was the key to any move and was Target A and that B & C didnt exist because we expected to get Pritchard not getting him completely threw us ..We will never know the full story behind this so I think that it is best now to draw a line under it and look forward to Dale Stephens appearing against Brentford with something to prove

For the umpteenth time, Pritchard is not the same type of player as Dale. If he had signed, he would have replaced Sam B, not Dale...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is Dale's the most analysed tweet in NSC history? :jester:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I'm surprised with this tweet from Dale. I totally believed he was not playing because he wanted to improve his fitness levels.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is Dale's the most analysed tweet in NSC history? :jester:

Most of the sad acts on here will analyse any pointless crumb of anything until they're blue in the face to avoid stepping away from their PCs/MacBook Pros and experiencing the real world. If this thread doesn't make 160 pages by Sunday NSC will have failed itself.

theboybilly

Dale needs to remember that we didn't have to fight off many rivals for his signature and that the two clubs in for him during this window are among the bookie's favourites for relegation. It's very likely he'd be back in the Championship next August. This whole sorry saga has really spoiled these last few weeks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
IMHO Pritchard was the key to any move and was Target A and that B & C didnt exist because we expected to get Pritchard not getting him completely threw us ..We will never know the full story behind this so I think that it is best now to draw a line under it and look forward to Dale Stephens appearing against Brentford with something to prove

I'd like to see Kayal and Stephens start that match, the sooner everybody has a chance to move on from the window the better.

That said, I do think the Pritchard fiasco and the Stephens transfer request have put a dampener on what had started off as a good window. We do need a fourth striker and there's no doubt an Odemwingie or Sessegnon would be a damn sight better than some of the striker dross we've seen at the Amex and would give everyone a lift.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Tony Bloom has proved in his dealings with Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt, Bennett etc. that if a player wants to go and he receives an acceptable deal in return, he will not prevent players from going to the Premier League. Several clubs have mentioned in buying and selling terms that he is a fair and easy man to do business with.

Dale has been unlucky that he was not wanted by a club that was willing to pay a fair price for him, but instead by a board that spent the whole summer penny pinching and trying to beat a poker champion despite the fact that their, much publicised, massive TV money meant that they were trying to bluff with a hand that their opponent could see.

The transfer request at the last minute was never going to be accepted as it gave the club no chance to recruit a replacement. If Stephens wants to blame anyone for this, it should be Burnley's board. His tweet at the time of the Euros showed that they knew what the price was. They thought that if they unsettled the player, continued to make unacceptable bids and generally acted in a fairly shoddy and underhand way, they would get want they wanted. Even if we end up worse off, I like that Bloom stood up to their bullying, two-bob approach to doing business.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have just seen Stephens tweet in full. Not expecting him to be going the extra mile this season. Shame Burnley didn't offer sensible money as I think we'd be better off without him having read his tweet. Sounds pretty bitter

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Tony Bloom has proved in his dealings with Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt, Bennett etc. that if a player wants to go and he receives an acceptable deal in return, he will not prevent players from going to the Premier League. Several clubs have mentioned in buying and selling terms that he is a fair and easy man to do business with.

One way to look at it. Another is that by selling our best players every summer we're never going to get our team into a position to challenge for the premier league, and TB has realised its about time we stood firm.

Years ago we would hope that our board would turn down offers, but they rarely did and we always lost our stars. Now we've finally held firm I find it ironic how many posters are upset at this, and would rather we had sold Stephens to avoid upsetting one of our players.

Also, the people who are most angry with Stephens are those who would have done exactly what Dale wanted, and vice versa. Strange old world

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Only just read the post - so sorry if people have the same view...

I wanted to leave 5 weeks ago told the club but only yesterday "reluctantly" put in a transfer request.

Yeah right.

Should have put it in 5 weeks ago,

My least favourite player. Far too much power in the hands of the players. Want to leave ? no problem.

Players appear to be a position to "resign" and effectively pick up redundancy,

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well he COULD have indicated that he'd get his head down try to get to the Prem with us instead of basically saying we aren't good enough couldn't he, the prick.

I think that would have been the STANDARD thing. But apparently the fact that he honestly couldn't give a shit is REFRESHING

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think that would have been the STANDARD thing. But apparently the fact that he honestly couldn't give a shit is REFRESHING

I can understand why you might feel that way. Trouble is the players then think it safer to keep their heads down and speak to the autocue. Dale has said something that you (and I) disagree with, that's all. After all this kerfuffle I think I will pass on reading players views for a while as they will have asked the club to check their views beforehand for fear of causing offence.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
He isn't the first player to want to move on in a situation like this, and he certainly won't be the last. He's not a Brighton fan, and if me or you were offered double our salary by a bigger company in a bigger pond, most of us would take it in a heart beat. I'm sure we can all understand why he wants to leave.

But the window shut yesterday and he's still here. He says he'll honour the last 10 months of his contract, so if gives 100% for the club like he did last year and be our important rock in the midfield again, that's all we want. If he sulks, then F him. But I hope he can rise above it, keep the seemingly immense team spirit we had last year intact, and help Brighton have a good go at reaching the promised land again.

His message, I think, shows that he cares even just a little bit, so I'm hopeful this is the route we're going down.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He isn't the first player to want to move on in a situation like this, and he certainly won't be the last. He's not a Brighton fan, and if me or you were offered double our salary by a bigger company in a bigger pond, most of us would take it in a heart beat. I'm sure we can all understand why he wants to leave.

But the window shut yesterday and he's still here. He says he'll honour the last 10 months of his contract, so if gives 100% for the club like he did last year and be our important rock in the midfield again, that's all we want. If he sulks, then F him. But I hope he can rise above it, keep the seemingly immense team spirit we had last year intact, and help Brighton have a good go at reaching the promised land again.

His message, I think, shows that he cares even just a little bit, so I'm hopeful this is the route we're going down.

Three times I tried to write the same thing and Chrome crashed three times.

People seem to forget that unless you're playing for your home town club you are highly unlikely to be a life long fan of the club you play for, ergo, you are an employee. He was an employee last year when he had a brilliant season and, like Dunk did last year, I hope he goes on to have another great season this year.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
DS tweet told us his side of the story.
You may not like it but we now know the facts.
Which is more than we got from the club with their lies to the fans about DS training to gain fitness instead of being in the team at Reading.
Transfer deadline finished and DS gave us his side.
Get over it and move on.
DS straight into side for Brentford where he should be and we start over.
Remember how Mboro pulled together after the Karanka walk out and look how they are now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ffs I can't believe how long people are dragging this shit out for! It's happened it's over !

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Maybe Stephens put in the transfer request to try and get Burnley to up their offer or see if Hull or another TINPOT team could be tempted to ? His agent should have told him to put the transfer request in at the end of the season so everyone had time to do a deal not 12 hours before the window closes.

I think foreign agents work with the assumption that the Premier League is where it is at and work on the very short term: the position could look very different of Burnley are bottom and Brighton are in the top two at Christmas? With relegation clauses, promotion bonuses, regular starts or in the reserves, the PL is not all roses as Bridcutt, Buckley and Poggy found out. Naismith could not agree terms at Sunderland, from Norwich.

Not so much heads are turned as players are misled. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here