Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"which is why I feel disappointed my chance was taken away."

That's the part he's majorly ****ed up on.

At what point was it there to be "taken away"?

THIS is why footballers statements are usually PR drivel. It's cos they is well stoopids.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Prefer a bit of honesty myself :shrug:

He better play well though.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think it's a bizarre decision financially other than the club want to set in hand that players can't make demands and always get them.

Up to now Buckley, Bridcutt and Ulloa have all been left to move to the premiership, maybe Bloom said enough is enough it stops here. Otherwise players will think they can call the shots.

However £8million plus the Pritchard money would have got you a bloody good player, arguably better and more important than Stephens who lets be honest has only really had one good season. He could actually have already peaked.

Maybe the Pritchard money was the Stephens money.. once that deal went south, Stephens hope of a move went with it..

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Part of me thinks it'd be funny if we got promoted, refused to offer him a new contract, and he couldn't find a Premiership club willing to sign him.

(But really, I hope he's playing in the Prem for us next season)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So, a key midfielder for us is 100% fit but sits out a couple of games because? Hughton isn't going to drop a vital player for 2 tough games is he?

He will be gone in January.

It's obvious isn't it, he was unsettled and not fully focused. He did the same with Dunk. He'll be gone in Jan if we're way off the pace, I rather hope we're not.

Aug 23, 2011
Well he COULD have indicated that he'd get his head down try to get to the Prem with us instead of basically saying we aren't good enough couldn't he, the prick.

I'm probably in a minority but i didn't read it like that. He's not saying we're not good enough to get there, he said his chance might have been taken away. Whilst i'm confident in our team i know its going to be a big scrap to go up and the bookies odds are around 6/4 to 2/1 that we go up meaning there is between 30-50% chance we won't go up.

If you're passing a sandwich shop and you're hungry, do you buy one there knowing it might not have the sandwich you want but it will fill a urge or do you keep walking on the off chance there is a better sandwich shop a few miles down the road

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If you're passing a sandwich shop and you're hungry, do you buy one there knowing it might not have the sandwich you want but it will fill a urge or do you keep walking on the off chance there is a better sandwich shop a few miles down the road

Depends on whether the shop you're passing has artisanal bread or not IMO.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"which is why I feel disappointed my chance was taken away."

That's the part he's majorly ****ed up on.

At what point was it there to be "taken away"?

THIS is why footballers statements are usually PR drivel. It's cos they is well stoopids.

So which do you prefer ? PR drivel or straight talking drivel ? The latter has a lot more integrity and gives us the opportunity for many hours of pointless debate. win win !

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Silly Dale. Silly silly Dale.

You will not get an ounce of sympathy from me I'm afraid. You're on a contract, earning shitloads at a fantastic club pushing for promotion and you're suggesting that WE held you back from your dream. No Dale. Your agent and the club who didn't value you enough to pay the asking price are to blame.

The fact is, the people who pay you shitloads of money every week think you're rather valuable to them - owing to the fact that you almost got us promoted last year. We don't quite fancy being mugged off by a team with millions in PL cash. If they offered what you are worth, you'd be living your dream of being a second/third choice bench warmer with a premier league patch on your arm. So don't be mad at us.

What the hell is so difficult to comprehend about a contract anyway? You sign it. You earn a fortune. You honour it unless the club gets what they want from a potential buyer. You don't get to be disappointed.

So get your head down and get into some good form with your mate Beram and you'll be living a real dream next year if it all goes well.

And GET OFF TWITTER.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton

You will not get an ounce of sympathy from me I'm afraid. You're on a contract, earning shitloads at a fantastic club pushing for promotion and you're suggesting that WE held you back from your dream. No Dale. Your agent and the club who didn't value you enough to pay the asking price are to blame.

The fact is, the people who pay you shitloads of money every week think you're rather valuable to them - owing to the fact that you almost got us promoted last year. We don't quite fancy being mugged off by a team with millions in PL cash. If they offered what you are worth, you'd be living your dream of being a second/third choice bench warmer with a premier league patch on your arm. So don't be mad at us.

What the hell is so difficult to comprehend about a contract anyway? You sign it. You earn a fortune. You honour it unless the club gets what they want from a potential buyer. You don't get to be disappointed.

So get your head down and get into some good form with your mate Beram and you'll be living a real dream next year if it all goes well.

And GET OFF TWITTER.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

And GET OFF TWITTER.
Pretty good assessment.

Dale's agent has been filling his head with nonsense when he should have been urging Burnley to bid higher earlier in the window, not leave it until getting a replacement player is impossible.

The agent messed the move up bad-style with a poor strategy.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

And GET OFF TWITTER.

Couldn't agree more.

In a world where Jeff Hendrick is now worth £10.5m to Burnley, Dale is clearly worth at least that to them, so why they messed about with derisory bids for so long is anyone's guess.

Now Dale's got two options:

1 Do the minimum to see out your contract, while blaming the Albion, and see
a) your worth and reputation plummet and
b) your chances of ending up in the Premier League take a similar nosedive, OR
2 Get your head down, put the last few weeks behind you, and get back to the form that saw you and Beram boss the midfield for most of last season, enhancing your worth and reputation, and giving yourself every chance of playing in the Premier League either with the Albion (on a new contract) or someone else when your contract is up.

Bit of a no-brainer, isn't it? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dale Stephens should be venting his feelings at his agent not Brighton or their fans. Who is his agent by the way? I would hazard a guess that his new off er on his contract will be increased and he will sign it in October

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's obvious isn't it, he was unsettled and not fully focused. He did the same with Dunk. He'll be gone in Jan if we're way off the pace, I rather hope we're not.

Let's hope that he has had his wages docked for when he 'wasn't fully focused' then.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As I said in an earlier thread, if Dale Stephens genuinely wanted to go to Burnley, I would have let him go.

The problems as far a fans were concerned is that

1) we did not know this as he did not say anything publicly (unlike Sissoko) until he made the transfer request (might have been an agent's tactic?) until he left the training session (made be untrue and irrelevant)
2) we did not consider Burnley to be a proper Premiership club playing sufficient wages* and likely to remain there only for one season (the same might apply to us if we went up)
(*signing a long term contract for a team that might get relegated???. It smacks of agent wanting to get a fee.)

My intuition was if a proper Premier League club like Palace (?), Stoke, Sunderland (?), Watford came in for Stephens we might have had to let him go! Then Stephens might not have got a regular first team place.

I thought it might turn into a Naismith situation (turned down Sunderland). Not happy with Burnley's contract.

In turn we cannot deny so easily that Lualua wants to leave unless he can get more first team playing time. Its up to him now. He has the ability, just the application.

As for Dale Stephens, I think we need his physical presence in midfield, his quota of goals and set pieces. It might be worth 8 points and 8 goals this season (we will see). 8 pts might be the difference between automatic promotion and the play-offs? I'm glad we've got Poggy. Never seen him play, but in some respects the video is a bit like Stephen's without the set pieces and goal scoring.

Set pieces can be be learned. It is really just the midfield goals of Stephens that makes the difference.

What would I have done if I was Bloom. I think I would have sold him for £8 m and tried to buy Oliver Burke for £11 million or so. That's with hindsight. I probably worked out that Dale Stephens wanted to play in the Premier league but Burnley is a poor choice.

Rationally from a Dale Stephens point of view, I might have waited until January to see how Burnley and Brighton were placed in the league. Signing a long term contract with Burnley could easily be a mistake! But without a long term contract, he could get injured and be in stook.

You'd seriously spend £11m on a player that has made 27 league appearances!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here