Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm rather impressed that in this pr driven world of corporate bland statements and weasel words that a player can send a mis spelt tweet with no attempt to apologise or placed platitudes.

Except as honest and heartfelt as it was , its angered some fans, will alienate further his relationship with the club, and was poorly timed and worded.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
image.jpeg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Had they put in a sensible bid early, the outcome may have been different but they didnt and it wasnt so now lets go forward with DS in the team and perhaps Kayal will play better than he has so far with his co midfielder in the side and the outlook may not be so bleak as it appeared on Sunday.

Quite. Had Burnley offered us something closer to our valuation (which I suspect was £10m) a month ago, when we would have had a chance to replace him or use the money to go large on a number 10, then we would have had a far tougher decision. The way I see it, with all their pissing about, Burnley made keeping hold of Stephens very easy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Except as honest and heartfelt as it was , its angered some fans, will alienate further his relationship with the club, and was poorly timed and worded.

Exactly, not talking corporate bollocks is now seen as "refreshing" it seems. Even if it still doesn't hide the fact that he chose not to put in a transfer request until the last minute. Blame lies squarely at Stephens feet that he is still here, mis spelt tweet with no corporate speak or not.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dale forgets the club supported him during a long injury and paid his wages as well. Perhaps he owes the club the chance to fulfill their dream to play in the Premier League. Is that too much to ask for 1 season?

I don't think he does but if he'd been better advised then he would/should have referred to incidents like this in his statement note.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly, not talking corporate bollocks is now seen as "refreshing" it seems. Even if it still doesn't hide the fact that he chose not to put in a transfer request until the last minute. Blame lies squarely at Stephens feet that he is still here, mis spelt tweet with no corporate speak or not.

I think Burnley could /should have handled it better and met Albion's valuation earlier in the window. In which case Stephen would really have been OFF - FACT. He's rightly frustrated by that.
But the responsibility for the tweet is all his...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Some random Brighton fan tweeted that Stephens is refusing to play for next match. Teams news appears and no Stephens - coincidence ?

We play awful away to Reading and miss him.

Hughton says he needs extra training and that why he was dropped. I'm not convinced by that or others.

Next game comes along and it's a big one and everyone expected Stephens to be in the starting line up after a poor performance at Reading.

No Stephens again and our midfield is over run again. He didn't even come on but Norwood did.

If people still want to believe what Hughton says then they are fooling themselves. He will be sold in the next couple of days. FACT

Care to rethink?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Had they put in a sensible bid early, the outcome may have been different but they didnt and it wasnt so now lets go forward with DS in the team and perhaps Kayal will play better than he has so far with his co midfielder in the side and the outlook may not be so bleak as it appeared on Sunday.
Agreed.

2 wins v Brentford and Huddersfield are the tonic required to kickstart our promotion charge.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The tweet has pissed me off more than the transfer request.

1. He doesn't believe we are good enough to be promoted this season despite the fact he has an influence over this.
2. Nothing about giving 100% until his contract ends.

The club supported him admirably when he was injured - it's payback time Dale and you have some serious making up to do.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If the club have been "aware" for five weeks that he wanted to leave, did he not effectively hand in his transfer request then, when they became aware?

No he did not. You never 'effectively' hand in a transfer request.

If a club doesn't not bid up to the value that the selling club deem the player at any point, then the club should not sell the player, transfer request or not.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
He didnt want to hand in the request out of any form of loyalty. It was entirely out of desire to get his 'loyalty' bonus cut of the transfer fee. That leaves me unconvinced that there was all that much honesty in his tweet

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What I didn't know until this morning is this is the second time that Stephens had, in his mind at least,an opportunity to play in the Premier League:

[tweet]771250516294676481[/tweet]

"Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have launched a bid to sign Charlton Athletic midfielder Dale Stephens.

Villa boss Paul Lambert is hoping to improve his squad before the transfer window closes, if the right opportunity becomes available, and is now thought to have made a move for Stephens.

The 24-year-old joined Charlton last summer on a three-year contract from Oldham Athletic after taking in a brief but impressive loan spell at Southampton."

I can completely understand his desire to make the move and test himself at that level.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't think he does but if he'd been better advised then he would/should have referred to incidents like this in his statement note.

And then it wouldn't have reflected his feelings at the time. Who cares about the wording. DS is communicating with the fans without censorship. That's a good thing. If it was sanitized by PR then it wouldn't be worth reading.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If he needs to be advised about something like that then clearly that says a lot

When you've handed in a transfer request that day, have refused to sign a new contract and your employer/ club are simultaneously releasing interviews at the same time saying how pleased they are with the transfer window as well as having to fend off fans speculating wildly about your intentions and motivation etc then anyone, however comfortable in the public eye, would probably seek some good advice about making public statements.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Its all very well ,keeping hold of your best players,but against their wishes,i feel is unwise,the rock solid team spirit ,may well have been damaged,one of our greatest assets.DS and the club now have to repair the damage (not helped by the Argus headline ! )I feel this event will have much more bearing on our season ,than not signing a striker......(ps..i am an EM fan !!! )
Yep spirit concerns me

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Outlook bleak? LOL. Genuinely.

We've lost one game all season and taken two sides to bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You've also come out openly and said the team will be signing a striker.

I did and right up until about 8pm I thought we would have managed it but sadly we didn't. We did try hard though. I was never 100% sure on any of it but I was fairly confident on it but like anything in life nothing is 100% certain

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It means he bins any loyalty bonus he would've been due.

When it became apparent that Burnley were playing at silly buggers and TB wasn't going to cave, Dale, in his desperation to move, played the only card he had, which was a 9 and a 2. Tony had a full house.

Brilliant ''coin of phrase'', I love it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here