Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Why? thatd be worth nothing like the 7 thats already been offered

I was taking the piss.

Some said £4m and Ward and Barnes.

I said £4m and Ward, ie, wouldn't want Barnes for nothing!!

If Burnley have offered £8m, I'd have taken it, so long as we have players we want lined up to spend it on.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
You're a strange one aren't you. If he's talked into staying, as he was last year when Fulham wanted to sign him, then I doubt it will be? Why would it be?

Well, it was you who repeated non stop in the Duffy these that we had accepted a bid and he was on his way despite absolutely no evidence of it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tell Burnley 15m or do one. In fact Im happy to tell them to **** off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You're a strange one aren't you. If he's talked into staying, as he was last year when Fulham wanted to sign him, then I doubt it will be? Why would it be?

Well, it was you who repeated non stop in the Duffy these that we had accepted a bid and he was on his way despite absolutely no evidence of it.

So is the below no longer true? Have you made contact with the source who told you Dunk was off since? Seem to be saying he's not going now?

We have accepted, or as good as accepted a fee for Dunk. Sometimes you just cannot stand in a players way.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So is the below no longer true? Have you made contact with the source who told you Dunk was off since? Seem to be saying he's not going now?
No, but I think the club have upped his price a few of times in the past year, and obviously do not want to sell. Not heard any more, but was told if Duffy signs, Dunk leaves, and it was a very reliable source, who obviously I am not naming. A lot was promised after the Fulham bids last season. Lets hope Lewis is happy to stay another year. Anyway, not interested in discussing it further tonight. If he goes, I won't be on here saying told you so, and I'll be gutted as I think he is head and shoulders the best CB in the championship. If he stays, I'll be over the moon. But if peope want to mock, and believe nothing is happening, then fine, I really couldn't give a shit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No, but I think the club have upped his price a few of times in the past year, and obviously do not want to sell. Not heard any more, but was told if Duffy signs, Dunk leaves, and it was a very reliable source, who obviously I am not naming. A lot was promised after the Fulham bids last season. Lets hope Lewis is happy to stay another year. Anyway, not interested in discussing it further tonight. If he goes, I won't be on here saying told you so, and I'll be gutted as I think he is head and shoulders the best CB in the championship. If he stays, I'll be over the moon. But if peope want to mock, and believe nothing is happening, then fine, I really couldn't give a shit.

Has your source given you info before though? If they're that good, you must know their track record?

I'm not judging, I ****ing hope you're well, well wrong though!

You also mentioned Robert Codner on the other thread & touting Solly about. From what I know, Solly is very happy here etc...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Anyway as far as Stephens go, £8m would do it for me. He's one left on his contract, and £8m goes a long way.

Although I think the club might have to start putting their money where their mouth is. £8m pays a 40k a week 4 year contract. Not saying we should pay anyone that, but sell him for that, and offer a couple of our most sort after players, contracts they may get in the Premiership.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Has your source given you info before though? If they're that good, you must know their track record?

I'm not judging, I ****ing hope you're well, well wrong though!

You also mentioned Robert Codner on the other thread & touting Solly about. From what I know, Solly is very happy here etc...
Two different sources. And yes, very realiable.

Thing is, your average fan, doesn't see through the blue and white strips in front of him.

As an example, lets use Dale Stephens. He may be very happy here. BUT he has an agent, and as an agent, he will do all he can for his player( and with commission himself).

When you get a player who could play at the very highest level, all the top clubs will be looking at him and scouting him regularly. But where a player like Stephens (or other), who in time could fit in to a top Premiership side, or in one players case, tipped for International call ups, with all the will in the world, they are not going to get an England call up playing for Brighton in the Championship. The top sides, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, will be aware of them, but will not spend £10m plus as a rule, on a player without Premiership experience. So if a player goes to one of the relegation candidates; that move is better for their career, than staying at Brighton. They get a huge pay rise, and more importantly, they get Premiership experience. So, say if Stephens goes to Burnley, or Dunk to Sunderland or Hull, or Solly to Southampton and their team gets relegated, if they have done well, then one of the big boys, may come in for them. At the very worst, they will move back to the premiership with another mid-lower table side. If they don't stand out, they come back down with their new club, probably on top money.

Which is why when the likes of Stephens wants a move, it can be unfair to stand in their way. And if they club do it and block moves, then agents are aware of it, and therefore so are any new signings we try and make will be aware that the club will stand in the way of a big move.

Its a big gamble to hold onto a player who has a chance of premiership football, and can back fire badly on a Championship club who does it.

It's not as simple as saying, "well if he sticks with us, we will probably in the premiership next season anyway". It just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Thing is, your average fan, doesn't see through the blue and white strips in front of him.

As an example, lets use Dale Stephens. He may be very happy here. BUT he has an agent, and as an agent, he will do all he can for his player( and with commission himself).

When you get a player who could play at the very highest level, all the top clubs will be looking at him and scouting him regularly. But where a player like Stephens (or other), who in time could fit in to a top Premiership side, or in one players case, tipped for International call ups, with all the will in the world, they are not going to get an England call up playing for Brighton. The top sides, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, will be aware of them, but will not spend £10m plus as a rule, on a player without Premiership experience. So if a player goes to one of the relegation candidates; that move is better for their career, than staying at Brighton. They get a huge pay rise, and more importantly, they get Premiership experience. So, say if Stephens goes to Burnley, or Dunk to Sunderland or Hull, or Solly to Southampton and their team gets relegated, if they have done well, then one of the big boys, may come in for them. At the very worst, they will move back to the premiership with another mid-lower table side. If they don't stand out, they come back down with their new club, probably on top money.

Which is why when the likes of Stephens wants a move, it can be unfair to stand in their way. And if they club do it and block moves, then agents are aware of it, and therefore so are any new signings we try and make will be aware that the club will stand in the way of a big move.

Its a big gamble to hold onto a player who has a chance of premiership football, and can back fire badly on a Championship club who does it.

It's not as simple as saying, "well if he sticks with us, we will probably in the premiership next season anyway". It just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Bingo we have a winner.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

When you get a player who could play at the very highest level, all the top clubs will be looking at him and scouting him regularly. But where a player like Stephens (or other), who in time could fit in to a top Premiership side, or in one players case, tipped for International call ups, with all the will in the world, they are not going to get an England call up playing for Brighton in the Championship. The top sides, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, will be aware of them, but will not spend £10m plus as a rule, on a player without Premiership experience. So if a player goes to one of the relegation candidates; that move is better for their career, than staying at Brighton. They get a huge pay rise, and more importantly, they get Premiership experience. So, say if Stephens goes to Burnley, or Dunk to Sunderland or Hull, or Solly to Southampton and their team gets relegated, if they have done well, then one of the big boys, may come in for them. At the very worst, they will move back to the premiership with another mid-lower table side. If they don't stand out, they come back down with their new club, probably on top money.

yet Duffy said he was attracted here because Bloom wants to keep our best players?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
What puzzles me is Blooms previous statements with Bennett,Bridcutt,Buckley and Ulloa that he wouldnt stand in a players way who wanted to move.
Now this to me says one of 2 things. Either the policy has changed or Dale hasnt suggested that he wants to move

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
yet Duffy said he was attracted here because Bloom wants to keep our best players?
Okay. Can't be bothered any more. Of course wants to keep our best players. Apparently we have turned down £7m for Stephens.
But then again, he sold Leo , when under contract. As tried to explain, it is not always possible to get want you want in football. Do you really think Bloom wanted to sell Leo to Leicester? of course he didn't.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Stephens-Burnley-Argus (Merged Thread)

This pops up at the end of the Pokemon signing article on the Argus:

"Burnley have subsequently turned their attention back to Derby’s Jeff Hendrick. The Republic of Ireland international is expected to join them today in a club record £10.5 million deal."

Hendrick-2-Burnley-PLEASE

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What puzzles me is Blooms previous statements with Bennett,Bridcutt,Buckley and Ulloa that he wouldnt stand in a players way who wanted to move.
Now this to me says one of 2 things. Either the policy has changed or Dale hasnt suggested that he wants to move
Well he didn't sell Ulloa until the offer reached the valuation. That might have been the same with Dale, Burnley were pissing about with low offers. Now there's less than a day left, it's understandable if Tony's saying 'too late', as we don't have time to replace him. That's not standing in a players way, that's just being sensible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here