Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From Dale's perspective, I hope we have a contract waiting to be signed that substantially awards a promotion should he stay. He is a great player and lad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't bother coming back with another bid Burnley [emoji38]ol:

Seems like it is now too late in the window for us to get a replacement, so no deal can be done.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've never quite got the old "he's not for sale" or "Don't bother coming back with another bid" angle.

Sure, it's all PR to please the fans but we know it's meaningless.

Every player is for sale. If someone offers money we literally can't refuse, then they go. That's the whole point or a transfer.

Anyway, hopefully Burnley aren't willing to go higher and that's it done.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Albion have knocked back a FIFTH bid from Burnley for midfielder Dale Stephens worth over £7 million.

And they have told one of the clubs that pipped them to promotion last season not to bother coming back with another offer before the transfer window closes tomorrow night.

LOVELY. STUFF.

Fck off Burnley you tin pot chancers.

Yeah that's top quality writing from the Argus. Made me chuckle.

I like the sheer incredulity in capitalising "FIFTH", and then straight into "and don't bother coming back" - there is literally no chance we said that, but it's just lovely to read.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
From Dale's perspective, I hope we have a contract waiting to be signed that substantially awards a promotion should he stay. He is a great player and lad.
If that's what happens (and he signs it) then we will all be happy-except Dyche.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So that's what we need to do in the coming days is make sure that the players in question are still focused on Brighton. That's the challenge. Turning down Transfer money is the easy part.

This.

I've come to the conclusion that the money is almost irrelevant. Stephens is considered so important to this season that the only question is can CH get his mind back on the game and fully focused for 6/12 months if DS stays. That's a big call because if we keep him and Dale sulks all season, we are more likely to blow promotion than we are if he goes and is replaced.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You KNOW or you are GUESSING?

He's guessing, he posted on the Duffy thread a couple of days ago that both Stephens and Dunk were definitely going, the deals were agreed, and the club were waiting for an opportune moment to announce it.
He's a palace troll imp

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I wonder what the situation would have been had they come in with a sensible bid in the first place not a derisory one.possibly the same he is not for sale.

It would have been the same. Burnley are not in a strong enough position and do not pay enough wages to be worth the move. Always so. Still an a danger from a handful (or less) of clubs. But there is a value of a succesful season ahead. Some players go through a whole career w/o winning anything.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
This.

I've come to the conclusion that the money is almost irrelevant. Stephens is considered so important to this season that the only question is can CH get his mind back on the game and fully focused for 6/12 months if DS stays. That's a big call because if we keep him and Dale sulks all season, we are more likely to blow promotion than we are if he goes and is replaced.

I don't think he's one to sulk. But the circumstantial evidence suggests his head has been turned by the PL riches. The international break may be timely. Should we hang on to him, CH will have 10 days to get him back on track. It's obvious to me we have missed him. He fills the holes you are only aware of when he is missing. We comprehensively lost the midfield battle at Reading, where this was most apparent.

PG

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Good point, and he could put him in the reserves for 10 months, and lose £5.5m (at least) and continue to pay his sizable wages, but I think he has better business acumen.

It's not just that. Until such time as Brighton can get promoted, we have to be able to demonstrate we are a good club to come to for developing your career. Players will be put off by coming if Brighton's stance is seen to be anti-player. In some ways, this is probably a bigger thing than £5.5m.

The only way Stephens stays is if CH believes that he will contribute significantly this season despite the contract situation and Premier League interest.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
It would have been the same. Burnley are not in a strong enough position and do not pay enough wages to be worth the move. Always so. Still an a danger from a handful (or less) of clubs. But there is a value of a succesful season ahead. Some players go through a whole career w/o winning anything.

surely at this stage he has more chance of winning something at Brighton (as in promotion). ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well if I were Dale I'd be interested in the opportunity of playing in the PL this season, with a nice pay rise too, so I guess I'd hold off signing a new contract if I could. But once the window is closed (or closing) I guess the new contract with a release clause would be a good option.

Well he hasn't handed in a transfer request, so he can't expect us to sell him. So if the club don't sell he's got nothing to complain about. So once the window is closed, I'd think it's in his interest to sign a new contract. Wage increase and contract security, without preventing him being sold next summer.

Bu if he requests a transfer doesn't he waive any bonuses he may be due from us?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think he's one to sulk. But the circumstantial evidence suggests his head has been turned by the PL riches. The international break may be timely. Should we hang on to him, CH will have 10 days to get him back on track. It's obvious to me we have missed him. He fills the holes you are only aware of when he is missing. We comprehensively lost the midfield battle at Reading, where this was most apparent.

PG

One jury member (me) would say unsubstantiated rumours and no evidence whatsoever.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And you say I'm making ridiculous points?
Yes. It's irrelevant to how well he can help us for the rest of the season. You're saying that because he's not featured much yet, in the 5 games we've had, "it's not like we're losing a regular player".

Come on, who are you trying to kid here?

Maybe you can explain why he isn't playing at the moment then?
It's all speculation. Maybe it's to keep him out of the public eye, maybe it's because it's difficult for a player to be fully focused when a PL club is trying to buy them. Dunk wasn't playing at the start of last season, so you would have said "it's not like we're losing a regular player", but Dunk was an important part of our team over the season, playing in 39 of our 46 games. If Stephens stays he should be an important part of our squad. Surely you can see that?

Like Bridcutt, if his head has been turned by a glamorous PL club (Burnley ffs) then I'd rather see him go.
So you would have rather Dunk gone too.

Towards the end of Bridcutt's stay with us it was like having 10 men.
Bridcutt wasn't set for another full season with us. Bennett was, and he did just fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here