Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens' appeal [Update: appeal rejected, 3 game ban stands]

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Any excessive force comes from Ramirez following through, not Stephens who pushes a football a few yards with his touch. If that's the reasoning then the red card should be rescinded.

During the appeal does the referee have to stand up and explain EXACTLY why he produced a red? Because I can't see how you can look at that and say it was a red.

I'd be surprised if the referee has to explain anything in this case. It's a kangaroo court so all that is needed is for Brighton to produce their evidence for the panel to bin and add an extra match to the ban.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
am going against the odds here. the fa have to rescind the red card. we can all see the evidence for ourselves and was no excessive force. using excessive force would surely make the bag of wind he contacted with go further than 2 yards (and the ball). we have been punish and the fa surely cannot punish us further by banning stephens when we still have a chance of promotion. would be better to use their obvious corruption more wisely and fix the games for our promotion to the premier league to be completed. after all who in their right mind would say that was excessive force?.. yes Wednesday fans are saying this but don't forget they wont study the videos and want him banned anyway.
come on FA do the right thing.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
am going against the odds here. the fa have to rescind the red card. we can all see the evidence for ourselves and was no excessive force. using excessive force would surely make the bag of wind he contacted with go further than 2 yards (and the ball). we have been punish and the fa surely cannot punish us further by banning stephens when we still have a chance of promotion. would be better to use their obvious corruption more wisely and fix the games for our promotion to the premier league to be completed. after all who in their right mind would say that was excessive force?.. yes Wednesday fans are saying this but don't forget they wont study the videos and want him banned anyway.
come on FA do the right thing.
That's a bit unfair. I had a shufty at OwlsTalk earlier. A lot of them think that it's a bad decision and are giving good thoughtful reasons - although they are still hoping that the appeal fails.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Surely if the FA do the honourable thing and own up to ill judgment on behalf of the ref, they are opening themselves up to a potential law suit from The Albion. Justice is the only casualty here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The severity of the injury would presumably refer back to the laws of the game covering excessive force. A perfectly timed ball winning tackle can be a red card offence if the referee concludes excessive force was used. I don't say that in reference to Stephens who I don't think used excessive force or was reckless, more to your point of it having no basis in the laws of the game.

However, you'd have to conclude that Mike Dean could justify himself by at first believing that the tackle was reckless and under the laws of the game regardless of winning the ball it is a yellow card, however upon seeing the injury decided it must have been excessive force hence the red. Wrongly in my opinion, but that is what they'll have been saying.

Careless, reckless, using excessive force
“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless
“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned
“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

Calde was sent off against Newport County for a 50/50 ball when the other player broke his leg (not a cut where the player was walking a few minutes later with a Mr Bump plaster on it). The red card was rescinded.

I doubt that it will be this time, because of the reputation of the referee and the importance of the game, but the excessive force wasn't any worse than that injury.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any excessive force comes from Ramirez following through, not Stephens
Exactly.

If I run at full speed and slam into the back of Goldson, should he be sent off when he turns round to see me unconscious on the floor?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's a bit unfair. I had a shufty at OwlsTalk earlier. A lot of them think that it's a bad decision and are giving good thoughtful reasons - although they are still hoping that the appeal fails.

Beat me to it - along with the expected guff there's a lot of sense on OwlsTalk about this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stephens is out of contract next year. Hasn't wanted to sign a new one and seemingly wants a return up north. I imagine a promotion may change his mind - if we don't I imagine we'll cash in. We didn't need to for Dunk.

Where has this ridiculous rumour about wanting to return north come from? He left Charlton to come further south to us. The rest is just nonsense. Most footballers will go where the money is.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sheff Weds like us have been on the arse end of a couple of very dubious reds this season.

I remember Foristieri being sent of for a 2nd yellow when he was brought Down by Dawson against Hull

And I think Bannan got a very poor decision given against him for a Red. So no doubt they feel hard done by also.

We have had this one and the assualt by Barton on Kayal that have likely cost us the opportunity of gaining big results.

Ofcourse Sheff W want it too stand, it means 2 of our key players are out on Friday, a HUGE bonus for them

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
when I mentioned the Wednesday fans I meant the majority not all. why would they be bothered to watch the video.? they would naturally be more concerned on any advantage their team could get. am not having a go at Wednesday fans just stating what I imagine to be their thoughts on this.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Funny isn't it, looking at Barton's Stamp and then this Stephen's challenge and the two outcomes. Was Barton wearing blades?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wish all bans were carried over to the regular season but the play-offs were immune. We now have a ridiculous situation where both sides are missing key players and both Stephens AND Bannen decisions were, to be kind, "questionable". If play-offs have to determine who goes up, at least let's have both teams able to field their best squads and not suffer this kind of lunacy.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Surely if the FA do the honourable thing and own up to ill judgment on behalf of the ref, they are opening themselves up to a potential law suit from The Albion.

On what grounds? The laws state "if, in the opinion of the referee, ...", don't they?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Funny isn't it, looking at Barton's Stamp and then this Stephen's challenge and the two outcomes. Was Barton wearing blades?

Exactly.... Bartons was 10 times a worse challenge, stamping motion and obvious intent, looked at by a panel and deemed not worthy of action.

I assume if Barton had drawn blood it would have been a red..... changing his decision after looking at the injury is a huge error on the refs part

How can Stephens be deemed a Red if a panel look at it on appeal when they cleared Barton...?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sheff Weds like us have been on the arse end of a couple of very dubious reds this season.

I remember Foristieri being sent of for a 2nd yellow when he was brought Down by Dawson against Hull

And I think Bannan got a very poor decision given against him for a Red. So no doubt they feel hard done by also.

We have had this one and the assualt by Barton on Kayal that have likely cost us the opportunity of gaining big results.

Ofcourse Sheff W want it too stand, it means 2 of our key players are out on Friday, a HUGE bonus for them
The Forestieri one was a terrible decision. He was clearly fouled and then carded for diving. His reputation got him the second yellow.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Exactly.... Bartons was 10 times a worse challenge, stamping motion and obvious intent, looked at by a panel and deemed not worthy of action.

I assume if Barton had drawn blood it would have been a red..... changing his decision after looking at the injury is a huge error on the refs part

How can Stephens be deemed a Red if a panel look at it on appeal when they cleared Barton...?

Did the panel actually look at the Barton stamp? I didn't hear anything about that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here