Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Mirror: Pulis poised for Brighton

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Seems difficult to believe. Pulls has been unlucky in that there hasn't been a single Premier League managerial change yet this season. He'd have a very good chance of getting almost any job outside the top 6, and given his miraculous stint with Palace, any club fearing relegation would have him on top of their list.

As such, a job at the wrong end of the Championship seems an unlikely choice for him.

He wouldn't come cheap. If we did manage to get him, it would be a very clear indication of how seriously Bloom views the threat of relegation.

Think I recall Palace umming and arring about appointing him because of his wage demands. Went on a week or two long than it should have and Sherwood got the knock and pulled himself out of running.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
The story doesn't really match the headline does it? Hard to believe he'd fancy the job tbh. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he did however.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Two interesting points to note:

1) Victor Chandler opened the book at 14:02 today (according to oddschecker).
2) Pulis was chalked up at ruof having been double double carpet in the previous book.

So if Oddschecker's history is correct then the contraction of TP's odds are NOT market driven.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Remember how Gus had us purring in delight at some of the football we played? Well that certainly wouldn't happen under Pulis.
Industrial, agricultural, physical, long ball, functional, yawn yawn yawn.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Remember how Gus had us purring in delight at some of the football we played? Well that certainly wouldn't happen under Pulis.
Industrial, agricultural, physical, long ball, functional, yawn yawn yawn.

It wouldn't be the same I agree, but tbf to palace they didn't play much hoofball - I think his rep should change a bit based on that... Can't see it happening tho - anyone know anything of these Daily Mirror journos? Are the ones mentioned in the article actually the source re Pulis? Who knows...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He wouldn't come cheap. If we did manage to get him, it would be a very clear indication of how seriously Bloom views the threat of relegation.

I don't understand why manager's pay is so poor in relation to players, Wayne Rooney earned at least twice as much as SAF yet who was more vital to Man Utd's success?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't understand why manager's pay is so poor in relation to players, Wayne Rooney earned at least twice as much as SAF yet who was more vital to Man Utd's success?

It's curious isn't it? In the same way many of our players will be earning more than Paul Barber who is, effectively, the big boss.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Seems difficult to believe. Pulls has been unlucky in that there hasn't been a single Premier League managerial change yet this season. He'd have a very good chance of getting almost any job outside the top 6, and given his miraculous stint with Palace, any club fearing relegation would have him on top of their list.

As such, a job at the wrong end of the Championship seems an unlikely choice for him.

Agree with this. And if Bloom is seriously considering Pulis he may also be considering jettisoning Burke and his acolytes and putting his hand back in his pocket again to fund the team Pulis will want. Which all seems unlikely but hey, you never know - a final throw of the Premier League dice with a proven manager?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If it were to happen, I would pay big money just to see what he has to say to Kemy after the 1st day's training.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with this. And if Bloom is seriously considering Pulis he may also be considering jettisoning Burke and his acolytes and putting his hand back in his pocket again to fund the team Pulis will want. Which all seems unlikely but hey, you never know - a final throw of the Premier League dice with a proven manager?

No such thing as a final throw of the prem lg dice - not with our infrastructure. There will be plenty more chances. I know it's bad now, but the bigger picture is still bright. Look how many years it took Cardiff for example...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's curious isn't it? In the same way many of our players will be earning more than Paul Barber who is, effectively, the big boss.

It effectively all goes back to the "short career", risk of getting an injury and it being over.

It isn't unique to football, exactly the same in the television industry with wages for what they refer to as "the talent" being way above what their bosses are earning.

The senior executives have seem their wages rise hugely but unlike the talent who are usually on fixed term contracts, they are incredibly expensive to get rid off when they fail.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It effectively all goes back to the "short career", risk of getting an injury and it being over.

It isn't unique to football, exactly the same in the television industry with wages for what they refer to as "the talent" being way above what their bosses are earning.

The senior executives have seem their wages rise hugely but unlike the talent who are usually on fixed term contracts, they are incredibly expensive to get rid off when they fail.

Actors (maybe not the ladies) don't have a short career really though. Maybe PB's earning are comparable to CEs in other industries?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I cannot see Bloom ditching Burke and Barber so this story is dead before it started

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here