Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D Day for my wife and the rest of the school

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have never wanted to start a thread as to why "were loose" appears in case it was blindingly obvious and I missed something. But I have now summed up the necessary courage to ask what it actually means or is supposed to mean?

My understanding is that in regards to pre-match discussions upon NSC, there are often pessimistic Posters who state that they do not believe we will win.

These same Posters are, in addition, somewhat slapdash in their use of their Mother Tongue.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No job should be a job for life, I and many of my friends have been made redundant once, twice or more & bounced back stronger. If you're good enough you'll keep/get a job if you're the worst out of say 20 then the jobs really not for you or the children

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I have never wanted to start a thread as to why "were loose" appears in case it was blindingly obvious and I missed something. But I have now summed up the necessary courage to ask what it actually means or is supposed to mean?

Brightonmark1234 always used to post 'were loose' when discussing a upcoming Albion match. Maybe being ironic or just plain bad English/grammar.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No job should be a job for life, I and many of my friends have been made redundant once, twice or more & bounced back stronger. If you're good enough you'll keep/get a job if you're the worst out of say 20 then the jobs really not for you or the children

That's a very naive viewpoint, if you honestly believe that the decisions on who to re-employ will be based purely on merit, rather than which ones will save the most money. The most experienced teachers will be the ones on the highest pay scales...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Not all children are suited for university, but are somehow "pushed" in the direction, which is a shame.

I can't comment on the old tripartite system, I wasn't around then.

However the quoted part is crucial. I've got some good friends at university. However, they're far from academic and getting mid 2:2 is often good enough for them. In the mean time, I'm frustrated at getting low-mid 2:1's where I've had lapses in concentration and my grammar and sentence structure goes out the window. Which means I get a minimum 5 mark reduction! There's others on my course, who this week have already been out twice. We have two assessments and two exams to prepare for and they're out partying whilst me and many others are in the library from about 12pm-1am. University for some has been a 3 year party paid for by the tax payer. I often can sympathise with anti-student sentiments. Oh, and don't get me started on programmes now available..

Reform needs to happen but I can't but fe

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

However the quoted part is crucial. I've got some good friends at university. However, they're far from academic and getting mid 2:2 is often good enough for them. In the mean time, I'm frustrated at getting low-mid 2:1's where I've had lapses in concentration and my grammar and sentence structure goes out the window. Which means I get a minimum 5 mark reduction! There's others on my course, who this week have already been out twice. We have two assessments and two exams to prepare for and they're out partying whilst me and many others are in the library from about 12pm-1am. University for some has been a 3 year party paid for by the tax payer. I often can sympathise with anti-student sentiments. Oh, and don't get me started on programmes now available..

Who are these people, and what are the tax payer funded courses that are still available to them. Genuine question, from a father of two teenagers with £60k of tuition fees ahead of them.

Stumpy Tim

I got a 2:1 and got pissed for three years. Best of both worlds

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think it depends on school by school...I have heard of schools planning serious culling of their staff to others who have not yet made their mind up.

The law of unintended consequences, which actually in my job as European Change Manager I look to minimise as much as possible, has been at work with the school meals for all liberal policy. So the reception, year one and year two kids Now all get a free school meal. BUT in the past that was only available to the poorest in our society. So in effect it was brilliant that all kids get a decent mean...th unintended consequence was that schools as part of their funding formula were allocated cash based on free school meals. Now that has stopped so a huge chunk of their budgets have gone....to get around it, the schools have to contact those parents/ guardians who used to receive the free meals and ask them to sign a bit of paper saying they were receiving them by right...then the school collects them and submits a claim based on the responses. Trouble is the stigma of signing that paper puts people off, the " I can't be arsed" factor comes into play...higher than you would imagine, the " I hate school therefore why should I " is also prevalent. So where we got in x amount for free school meals, that is now around 15% of what it was.

I was a parent governor and LEA appointed governor and I advise anyone who has a child at a school that wants governors to put themselves forward. Even if it is just for a year...it will open your eyes as to how state schools are funded and the stuff we had to do for meddling government departments obsessed with political dogma.

Not sure what you mean by the free school dinner children and not getting the money for it. I work in a school and any child that has been entitled to free school meals/ parents in receipt of benefits or in care the school now receives a premium/ funding for these children. It's called pupil premium and is given to the school as extra funding to benefit these children. An example our school uses it to pay the cost of any trips for these children and to bring in extra support for this children. It also forms a big part of the ofsted inspection. We have to show that these children are making progress as in the past they have been a group that has struggled to attain. We were recently audited to see that the funding we are given is being spent directly on these children and not being used in other areas and are benefiting the children.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I genuinely worry for this country in about 10-15 years time.

We have a growing illiteracy and poor numeracy skills coupled with an education system on the brink and exam based results rather than creating genuinely intelligent and creative students. The growing dissatisfaction with school and unrealistic ambitions of kids who have don't believe they have to work for it is a recipe of disaster for this country. I left school in 2008. I only went to university in 2013 after a few level 3 courses and an apprenticeship. I only know of about 10 people who left school in 2008 who have gone to university. Many are unemployed, low skilled and stuck in entry level jobs.

I know of a few people who left school thinking they'll be professional football players and I shit you not, one kid called himself the 'British Eminem' who now has 3 kids in a council house in Whitehawk and as far as I know, works part time.

I don't ever remember being told about alternative careers other than university. I don't remember the military coming to my school, local businesses who offer apprenticeships etc.

It's entirely geared to getting grades that look good on paper, but have little transferability to real life. Teachers are getting the blame for this, rather than the constant meddling and experimentation from politicians.

Education is a ticking time bomb. It'll be the teachers blamed and not the politicians.

I am not so sure, you seem all over the place with this statement.

I agree in parts then whoooosh we are all suddenly doomed.

We're a pretty average family, wife went to University later in life after the rigours of self employment and I have run different business with differing success.

Our kids do the normal stuff and I can honestly say that they have achieved higher grades than I ever did and their friends too, and they are all a mixed basket of backgrounds etc. and it seems that they are all fairing pretty darn well in the employment stakes.

I am not aware of any obvious educational deficiency in their wider circle of friends either, I can only suspect that any poor numeracy or literacy skills are a result of other stuff rather than cuts or teachers.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Who are these people, and what are the tax payer funded courses that are still available to them. Genuine question, from a father of two teenagers with £60k of tuition fees ahead of them.

I'm lost. Who are these people? The lazy ones or the hard working ones?

And unless you're paying for them, every course is tax funded...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
That's a very naive viewpoint, if you honestly believe that the decisions on who to re-employ will be based purely on merit, rather than which ones will save the most money. The most experienced teachers will be the ones on the highest pay scales...

Ignorant post full of guesswork & false assumption.
You'd take Heskey on loan instead of Kane I take it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why do you have to be such a drama queen?

Living in fear?

It's your daughter's job, not yours. When did kids become such an appendage that we "live in fear" of them becoming unemployed? Sake.

If they have been moved out for some time, and then have to move back in with you, that is scary.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My wife as work at a school for the past 14 years in various capacities from a midday recreational supervisor ( dinner lady) to INA and has always previously had re re apply each year but a couple of years ago was put on a permanent contract, is she still affected by the changes?

This might seem radical, but have you tried asking your wife?

She probably has a better idea than anyone on here.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

No, no, HKFC is right, this is what happens.

If you think about it what else can you do if you havent a budget to cover an experienced teacher over a less experienced one, it works with your football analogy too ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I am afraid that this is life - some students have photographic memories and can absorb it all quite quickly. I would also suggest that some folk say they do very little but the reality may be rather different. Were the others out twice all night or perhaps down the pub for an hour inbetween essays?! If you are in the Hastings area, and need help, then PM me, and I will try to help with your grammar. I am not being pompous, but having taught German, which is far more precise than English, I would be in a position to help. I didn't understand your last two sentences, by the way - what programmes? I know, I am getting you started! Given what you wrote, I could not see what reform needs to happen; could be me, no sorry, to be precise, I, who can not understand.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
[/B]

I am afraid that this is life - some students have photographic memories and can absorb it all quite quickly. I would also suggest that some folk say they do very little but the reality may be rather different. Were the others out twice all night or perhaps down the pub for an hour inbetween essays?! If you are in the Hastings area, and need help, then PM me, and I will try to help with your grammar. I am not being pompous, but having taught German, which is far more precise than English, I would be in a position to help. I didn't understand your last two sentences, by the way - what programmes? I know, I am getting you started! Given what you wrote, I could not see what reform needs to happen; could be me, no sorry, to be precise, I, who can not understand.

That must have been a bug on my phone. I was sending from it and I don't use tapatalk.

There's plenty of examples of what some call 'non-degree' degrees. I would put sports coaching in there with a few others. I appreciate the offer, I'm fortunate enough to be given some software that's usually given to students with dyslexia due to being recently diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. The university said they'll give me extra support, though I'll keep that in mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No, no, HKFC is right, this is what happens.

If you think about it what else can you do if you havent a budget to cover an experienced teacher over a less experienced one, it works with your football analogy too ?

Yo be fair to [MENTION=14118]Vegas Seagull[/MENTION] it's the last sentence of my post he's objecting to - he's taking it to mean that the most experienced teachers will be the best ones - rather than my suggestion that they'll go for the biggest money savers. It's a fair comment too - there are plenty of great young teachers. (Not that I actually suggested otherwise anyway)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This might seem radical, but have you tried asking your wife?

She probably has a better idea than anyone on here.

Of course she does from her perspective, but was looking for information from the other side from people who know more that she is not aware of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here