Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cyprus Potatoes

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Are they different in any other early season potato in the Med?

The fresher the better I'll wait for the Jersey Royals and my own off the allotment a month or so after that. Or just pick up a couple of 99p buckets from B&Q, some compost and off you go

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bloody love them. Waxy and excellent roasted.

Also perplexed as to why they’re rarely sold
Quite possible for a similar reason as why it's very difficult to obtain Greek or Cypriot wines, (ther than Retsina), citrus fruit, or even olives, (other than Kalamata), in this country.

The truth sadly is, that neither Greece nor Cyprus, for some inexplicable reason, exports it in any meaningful numbers. Such a shame as Greece is one of the leading wine procucers in Europe, yet all it exports, to this country at least, in any sort of number, is the humble Retsina. I like Retsina but it is hardly a wine.

The same applies to citrus fruit, they grow an awful lot of it, but what they don't produce for themselves is often left unpicked. Such a shame.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Left there years ago, I was there before it was trendy, when it got trendy it never really improved and now parts of the High Street resemble the arse end of Oxford Street.

I liked living there, but never got the trendy posh label ever.

Balham, particularly the area between it and "Clapham Junction" is far posher than Clapham (infinitely so) but we like to keep very quiet about it.

We have a garden centre for instance albeit next to the prison.

I hear that Battersea has gone so far upmarket now, the locals are renaming it South Chelsea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone else a fan ?

.. and can anyone else throw light on why supermarkets don't sell them ? Is the mud that puts people off ?

Not that worries me because they are in abundance in the multi cultural yoghurt knitting urban utopia where I exist.

I just feel sorry for those you have never tried them. I eat mine with a fine olive oil and Greek yoghurt,

There are the king of the baked potato varieties.
Macknade sells dirty whiles at 65p a kilo (or pound, whatever). The Cyprus potatoes are £2.50 for the same weight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hear that Battersea has gone so far upmarket now, the locals are renaming it South Chelsea.
That happened 30 years ago.

And Clapham and Balham became Claahm and Baahm

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's always been "up-market" although like most bits of London it has it's rough bits.

"Between The Commons" , leading up to Northcote Road puts a lot of North London to shame.

If anything Clapham has gone down hill.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've got a mate who did a season in Aiya Napa back in the day – and he reckons they're shitehouse!

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Organic potatoes always taste about 10x better than non-organic, but then that's the same with organic meat and veg also.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The best potato I ever had was in Lisbon. Here, in fact

Looks like a great restaurant. I normally go for humbler fishy places and there's something they do with the spuds and slightly split them that's just incredible. A good mixed salad, some spuds and a bottle of cold, crisp Arinto will do me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's always been "up-market" although like most bits of London it has it's rough bits.

"Between The Commons" , leading up to Northcote Road puts a lot of North London to shame.

If anything Clapham has gone down hill.
I owned property in Railton Road, Brixton, back in the early 1980's, one of the few houses that wasn't burned out in the riots. I wonder how much it would be worth today.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Quite possible for a similar reason as why it's very difficult to obtain Greek or Cypriot wines, (ther than Retsina), citrus fruit, or even olives, (other than Kalamata), in this country.

The truth sadly is, that neither Greece nor Cyprus, for some inexplicable reason, exports it in any meaningful numbers. Such a shame as Greece is one of the leading wine procucers in Europe, yet all it exports, to this country at least, in any sort of number, is the humble Retsina. I like Retsina but it is hardly a wine.

The same applies to citrus fruit, they grow an awful lot of it, but what they don't produce for themselves is often left unpicked. Such a shame.
I lived there for 6 years or so in the 1970s, and have visited for holidays dozens of time since. When we lived there, the suggestion was that Cyprus didn't import anything fresh, and that it could produce (grow) anything they needed, they even planted bananas so as to avoid importing. There was always an enormous sense of pride in their own produce, and the potatoes are stunning. When spuds are being harvested you see convoys of trucks taking them for processing, especially in the areas to the east of Larnaca, north of Ayia Napa where the soil is a deep red colour. IIRC they have always exported them.

20 years ago or so archaeologists working on an area that was to be developed for the tourist industry discovered artefacts that showed the (then) oldest evidence of wine production in the world. CY wine is either toenail or pretty good. Some of the indigenous grape varieties, produced by wineries like Tsiakkas using Vamvakada/Maratheftiko grapes make really good wines, IMO.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
20 years ago or so archaeologists working on an area that was to be developed for the tourist industry discovered artefacts that showed the (then) oldest evidence of wine production in the world. CY wine is either toenail or pretty good. Some of the indigenous grape varieties, produced by wineries like Tsiakkas using Vamvakada/Maratheftiko grapes make really good wines, IMO.
Yep l absolutely agree.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I owned property in Railton Road, Brixton, back in the early 1980's, one of the few houses that wasn't burned out in the riots. I wonder how much it would be worth today.
Good location. Only a stone's throw from the station.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Sell them in our little shop. And love them ourselves for roast or chips. Jersey Royals are just coming in now but very expensive and they sold out in a couple of days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here