Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists - Toughest Hills of Brighton?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't know if its long enough to qualify, but May Road, near top of Elm Grove, is one of the steepest in Brighton.

I lived in May Road (the flat bit) until the age of 5 , the short steep bit joining Elm Grove at the top must be a 20%-25% gradient.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I won a hill climb on the bostal once. I was skinny then.
Blimey well done.
When I was starting out I used to have a love/hate relationship with it.
I'd do it one week, but not the next, it had a real hoodo over me, I could never get it right.

Cobb Lane is another story though.
It's about 25%, I never no when it's coming, it's straight after a descent, so you're not pedalling, in the wrong gear, etc.
Did have my weight down and had high hopes for doing it, this year.
But personal stuff has seen me off the bike, and comfort eating, so I can kiss goodbye, for another year. :down:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
But personal stuff has seen me off the bike, and comfort eating, so I can kiss goodbye, for another year. :down:

Welcome to the club, not been near a big hill in anger for 5 years (my poor bike), looking at buying a new mountain bike soon to get some small Down Loops in and build some fitness to get back on my road bike.

Still Easter Eggs a go this year....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My knee-jerk reaction to that would be:-
what about Bath?.

But not Lincoln.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
that hill is HORRIFIC
nah, that easy ( South Road, Preston Village) - short walk from the petrol station to bridge..

the real b'stard is The Drove, which continues up from past the bridge, up to Dyke Road. not that it is allowed.

nor advisable, as even walking that one is a b*tch! thr Droveway is t'other side of Dyke Road, which goes down to / past Hove Park..
045429_b903ad81.jpg

google earth-
the drove, brighton - Google Maps

Millers Road, which South Road turns left into, is also no picnic.

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Miller's Road been mentioned yet? I just this afternoon drove past some old boy puffing up it on a bicycle, he looked to be in a lot of pain

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
When I lived in Telscombe Village (a very long time ago), I used to do that regularly. I don't remember struggling. I guess I must have been fit in those days.

That was probably in the days when the world was flat...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Preston Drove

Used to have a girlfriend who lived virtually at the top of that hill and it is not that hard, it just is not long enough for the pain to get to you. Southover Street is pretty hard in places but it's neighbour Albion Hill has the steepest section in my opinion. Though it is between Bear Road and Wilson Avenue for those inside Brighton, and the Beacon being a clear winner outside.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Elm Grove a bit of a killer, I would have thought (managed to get up it in 1965, though). Bottom end of Wippingham Road, from the Hartington Road end, was a no-goer though

D

Deleted User X18H

The Brighton section of the Droveway. Of course, you would be breaking the law to cycle up it.

What? The Brighton section of the Droveway doesn't exist. The Drove however, is one way. Although some do try and cycle up and fair play to them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is there a circular route that would cover most if not all of these hills.
It might be a nice Sunday morning out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I hate Ditchling Beacon. Spend all my time worrying about being knocked off, can't concentrate on the cycling.
And the descent - madness, there's so much grit, sand and stones, potholes - it feels almost suicidal.
Out of Alfriston towards Seaford is tough - another that follows a descent, so you're often in the wrong gear.
Stumbled across The Bostal yesterday, in the rain, and yes, a bit of a killer.
Personally, I find Wison Avenue and Bear Road much easier than Albion Hill and Southover Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here