[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I take it not much action on the last climb today then as I could only find highlights of the last 5 km. In Italian and through a wet & foggy lens so couldn't make out a whole lot to be honest but was pleased to hear the commentator shouting "Fabio Felline!" repeatedly :) Not too disappointed to see young Battaglin nick the win as it's good to see him come of age.

From the Top 10: 2,3,14,15. Not many jersey points though.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
That one was bullet like compared to last seasons Tour.

Last seasons Tommy V win was the cycling equivalent of Marcos P chasing the through ball from Vicente.

:lolol:

Yes, I didn't say it was the same just reminded me due to the gritting of teeth.

I was just catching up on the podcasts and did I get the impression Cav swore on live TV after winning stage 1, is their nothing this man cannot do.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I take it not much action on the last climb today then as I could only find highlights of the last 5 km. In Italian and through a wet & foggy lens so couldn't make out a whole lot to be honest but was pleased to hear the commentator shouting "Fabio Felline!" repeatedly :) Not too disappointed to see young Battaglin nick the win as it's good to see him come of age.

From the Top 10: 2,3,14,15. Not many jersey points though.

Not sure if its any good to you, i.e. if you have an i-pad or tablet but Eurosport doing a £4.99 month deal (that you can cancel after the race) and you can rewind back up to three hours of any coverage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure if its any good to you, i.e. if you have an i-pad or tablet but Eurosport doing a £4.99 month deal (that you can cancel after the race) and you can rewind back up to three hours of any coverage.

Don't talk to me about bloody Eurosport! :angry: I've had this conversation with Pantani already about how useless they are. I signed up to the early bird 12 months for £1.99 deal but they completely screwed it up (I won't bore you with the details). I make do with Steephill links and youtube now along with well earned me time in the shape of annual leave days off work for the really crucial stages/races + watching Tdf back as live on recording from ITV4.

Thanks for the thought though. There's also cyclingtorrents too but I've never tried them personally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've gone very Italian over the next couple of days, 5 in total.
A couple of Brits, and a Cheque.
I've accidently kept my big expensive failing Swede, Kessiakoff, who I thought might have got something over the last 2 stages.
He's certainly going to get feck all over the next 2.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've gone very Italian over the next couple of days, 5 in total.
A couple of Brits, and a Cheque.
I've accidently kept my big expensive failing Swede, Kessiakoff, who I thought might have got something over the last 2 stages.
He's certainly going to get feck all over the next 2.

I'd swap your Freddie for two of my no showers any day of the week. Handy bloke to have kicking around come ITT.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd swap your Freddie for two of my no showers any day of the week. Handy bloke to have kicking around come ITT.
Good point.
I didn't have him in the team for his TT prowess, maybe I thought he was someone else!!!.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Don't talk to me about bloody Eurosport! :angry: I've had this conversation with Pantani already about how useless they are. I signed up to the early bird 12 months for £1.99 deal but they completely screwed it up (I won't bore you with the details). I make do with Steephill links and youtube now along with well earned me time in the shape of annual leave days off work for the really crucial stages/races + watching Tdf back as live on recording from ITV4.

Thanks for the thought though. There's also cyclingtorrents too but I've never tried them personally.

I am really disappointed that there is no early evening highlights on Eurosport, it seems you have to wait till 10.45 for any kind of highlights which is far too late for me. I am really surprised with the whole TV scheduling as I think there is quite a bit of demand for good TV coverage and would get decent viewing figures. There is certainly enough interest in the Giro especially with a big British contingent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You chaps did miss Cobo blowing out of his arse a Cat 3 (or whatever it was).

His Vuelta win must be so bent.

The Sky boys got done good and proper there.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Only just seen this thread on here.

I'm cycling John o Groats to Lands End in a 5 weeks and only bought my bike 3 weeks ago...

Just wondered if any of you 'cycling geeks' had any decent tips for the ride? 960 miles over 9 days. I know its going to be tough but any little pieces of advice would be brilliant.

Been on spinning classes for a month or so and did 85 miles out on Monday in the sun and found it ok but aware I need to put in a whole load more work over the next 4 weeks!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I'm cycling John o Groats to Lands End in a 5 weeks and only bought my bike 3 weeks ago...

Just wondered if any of you 'cycling geeks' had any decent tips for the ride? 960 miles over 9 days. I know its going to be tough but any little pieces of advice would be brilliant.

Been on spinning classes for a month or so and did 85 miles out on Monday in the sun and found it ok but aware I need to put in a whole load more work over the next 4 weeks!

Beyond good luck & fair play to ya, no tips from I'm afraid...you're in way over my head. Few on here should have plenty of good advice though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I am really disappointed that there is no early evening highlights on Eurosport, it seems you have to wait till 10.45 for any kind of highlights which is far too late for me. I am really surprised with the whole TV scheduling as I think there is quite a bit of demand for good TV coverage and would get decent viewing figures. There is certainly enough interest in the Giro especially with a big British contingent.

Let's just hope cycling can keep on gaining popularity in this country and perhaps eventually ITV will cover the Giro too. They've got the Vuelta now so it's the next logical step. I don't have Sky so really value ITV coverage (I just record and watch it back in the evening skipping out all the adverts).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] may have done this last year?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Hiya Lovecake.

I did Land's End to John O'Groats last year - 975 miles over 10 days. It was absolutely brilliant, one of the best things I've ever done.

However, you've left it a bit later to get yourself ready than I did...You do need to get some miles in your legs, preferably with a lot of hills, because, as you will discover, the UK ain't flat! Over the next three weekends, look for sportives of 100 miles or so (South Downs Spring Sportive is on May 18th, then there's King of The Downs, though that may be too late. There are many others), or just go for a 100 miler on your own, or with cycling mates. Make sure that you follow at least one of these with a ride of over 50 miles the next day.

Also, I don't know how busy you are during the week, but I made my commute home 30 to 40 miles at least three times a week during the last 6 weeks of my training last year. In the week before the ride, lay off, rest and get the carbs in.

Who are you doing it with? Have you got the accomodation included, or are you going fully laden? I did it for Marie Curie Cancer care, and we had mechanical support and transport for our luggage throughout. I can't imagine doing it any other way!

While riding, keep eating - energy bars, bananas, flap jack etc. I found those SIS drink capsules invaluable too.

Make sure your bike is ready - fully serviced, seat at right height, and I do hope that you've got proper cycling shoes and pedals. What is your bike? Photos?

When I cycle at the weekend I'm always in a hurry. Kids to see, meals to cook, work to do etc. One of the beautiful things about this ride is that all that you have to think of each day is getting to your destination. So don't kill yourself, take your time. Don't miss out on the scenery - I never knew what a beautiful country we live in. Stop to take photos, take it all in. Some of the guys on my ride seemed to think that it was a race - so they rode head down, flat out and missed everything. A few didn't take a single photo. What a waste.

Buy Assos shorts! I can't stress this highly enough. They are so much better than any others that I have worn. They are expensive, but I had no saddle sores or chaffing, no need to use chamois butter throughout last years ride, and still they keep me comfy. Check out ebay - you can find them second hand at affordable prices.

Tons of sun-cream! Keep topping up!

If it's cool, or rainy, wear a cap under your helmet.

I'll come back to you if I think of anything else, but feel free to pm or ask any questions!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports