Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So after the excitement of the Sagan show last weekend in Belgium at Omloop & KBK, tomorrow we have even more spectacle with Strade Bianchi. Fantastic race this!, and all sorts of riders can win it. Short odds for the bigger favourites and outsiders aren't much longer as the field is so strong. I might have a little dabble with an Italian pairing of Felline and Rosa.

Meanwhile, Paris-Nice starts on Sunday. I've just discovered Velogames are doing this. I just went and picked a team in 5 minutes flat of all Frenchies. I've done this before with all for a French race and it turned out not too bad, so I'll definitely be sticking with this quick fire selection. As fantasy seems to have died on it's arse here now, I won't bother setting up a league, but I will join a geeks one if anyone else can be bothered to come out to play and post the code here.

Wish I'd read this yesterday. I love Strada Bianchi, and had not noticed that it was happening.

Will be sure to watch Paris Nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Traditional Puncheur weather this morning, I see.

Several of us geeks used to cycle this annually. I do hope nobody from here is unfortunate enough to be out there today.
Ha

For me traditional Puncheur weather is shorts and s/s jersey assisting a 3 and a half hour smash round lesser Sussex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When did you do it?

And it's 4 and a half hours.

Just checked strava, 08.03.15 - 3 hrs 40 mins, ave 17.6mph. :whistle:

On a lovely blue skied, windless, spring/summer morning. :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just checked strava, 08.03.15 - 3 hrs 40 mins, ave 17.6mph. :whistle:

On a lovely blue skied, windless, spring/summer morning. :thumbsup:

Which year? The weather has ALWAYS been shit when I've done it (and I managed about 4 hours 10 minutes from memory. I can't be bothered to check!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which year? The weather has ALWAYS been shit when I've done it (and I managed about 4 hours 10 minutes from memory. I can't be bothered to check!)
Blimey you're hard work this morning:-

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yeah, my birthday. It's ALWAYS sunny on my birthday.

Rightly so.

I would have been eating an enormous breakfast and then lying, comatose on the sofa.

Rightly so.
I did that afterwards.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
:lolol:

But...

2 weeks ago, frustrated by lack of rides, I did a run in (with the benefit of hindsight) the wrong trainers. I was sore afterwards and could not tell if it was Achilles tendon or calf muscle or both. Got away with a ride last weekend, but midweek and yesterday I 'forgot' the injury and put too much load through i.e. sudden burst of speed. Pretty sure it is calf muscle damage. Am now hobbling around and fear a fair few weeks off the bike. When I can walk a bit more freely, it will be time to get a service done. Poxy start to the year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

But...

2 weeks ago, frustrated by lack of rides, I did a run in (with the benefit of hindsight) the wrong trainers. I was sore afterwards and could not tell if it was Achilles tendon or calf muscle or both. Got away with a ride last weekend, but midweek and yesterday I 'forgot' the injury and put too much load through i.e. sudden burst of speed. Pretty sure it is calf muscle damage. Am now hobbling around and fear a fair few weeks off the bike. When I can walk a bit more freely, it will be time to get a service done. Poxy start to the year.

You lost me after 'I did a run'. :shrug:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
OK...so I now know as well. What a pity the coverage only showed the last 14km, and only one of the strade bianchi.

Still, that climb into Sienna is always great to see.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
OK...so I now know as well. What a pity the coverage only showed the last 14km, and only one of the strade bianchi.

Still, that climb into Sienna is always great to see.

Crucially we missed the crash that shaped the race. I think Felline was down in the midst of it and Rosa too, but at least Felline dug deep and went solo to try , in vain to catch the lead group of 12 riders. Dumoulin had to come from around the crash too and he paid for that towards the end. In fact it was his initial attack that Kwia was smart enough to latch onto and use as the launch for the winning attack. Very well earned win for Kwiai and great to see him back after the disaster of last season for him.

Paris Nice was a bit mental today. More like a Spring classic than a stage race and so brilliant racing to watch!
Demare is looking strong for Milan San Remo.
A bit surprised to see Coquard and Greipel go pop towards the end (no surprise to see Kittel drop when it went uphill) but it was clearly a hard day in the echelons. Smart move by Allaphilipe but a bit disappointed Gallopin did't have it to go with him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just had a sneaky look at Paris Nice proceedings. Looks like another epic day and a must watch this evening :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here