Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hey [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] how did you get on climbing Ditchling the other day?
Did you finally beat it?

If not we can talk you through it, as there are a few 'tricks of the trade' to make it fifth time lucky!

Only just discovered this! Apologies. Thanks very much: I did manage it - and it was rather easier than I thought it would be. I'd rate the Steyning Bostal Road as marginally harder - but I'm not a proper cyclist.
I managed to do few duathlons earlier this year. As a runner (albeit a rather ancient one) I found it mightily dispiriting to be overhauled by guys riding their high-spec machines whilst I struggled along (at just under 17 mph) on my cheapo Halford's TDF! I nearly upgraded by actually riding off on someone else's bike after transition, but this was a function of exhaustion rather than anything more sinister. Highly embarrassing though.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Really enjoying being on Strava since the summer....done about 350 miles now (on & off road), and have a couple of KOM's to my name.
Cant believe I didn't get it sooner, although it does seem to have a bit of a brain fart every now and again by not recording sections, going a bit loopy and all over the place. Is this due to it being on my phone do you think, rather than a proper bike computer etc?

I suppose that depends on the phone! I record all my rides on my iPhone 6, and did the same on my Samsung Galaxy 3 before that. No problems at all, though I use a Garmin for back up on longer rides.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I suppose that depends on the phone! I record all my rides on my iPhone 6, and did the same on my Samsung Galaxy 3 before that. No problems at all, though I use a Garmin for back up on longer rides.

I have a Galaxy S6. Its fine 99% of the time - but every now and again it just totally fails to record parts of the route, or Strava section, properly. Just a tad annoying when you feel you've done a decent time on a stretch - only for it to not be there once its uploaded!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sincere apologies, what follows is somewhat me, me, me.

According to the receptionist at my doctors (who paraphrased the letter which is yet to arrive with me, in the middle of the surgery :facepalm: ) I should be receiving some good news:-

My back is f***ed - with multiple compressions down my vertebrae - the receptionist didn't know most of the long words or have an actual diagnosis, neither did any of the half a dozen people queuing around me. :lol: :facepalm:

Most of my secondary symptoms are as a result of that.

Now I know what you're thinking here, but that is actually good news.
It's what I was hoping for and in all honesty was expecting.

I had the stuffing knocked out of me because the good old NHS wanted to see if my bad back was a cover for the other symptoms and masking the onset of Multiple Sclerosis.

So assuming sclerosis wasn't one of the unpronounceable words I'm in the clear, with 'just' a scoliosis in my spine to contend with.

Thanks for the kind words that have come my way, they've been much appreciated.
Again sorry for the me, me, me, I shouldn't have alluded to anything a while ago.
But as I'm sure you can imagine, it was rather in the forefront of my mind.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
No need to apologise SB. As I understand it most of us have symptomless spinal degeneration to some degree. Lose weight and strengthen your core. Nice to know its not something neurological.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One day a year I'm a wannabe Belgiumist, today's that day and so far I'm very proud of my boys.
(Even though I have no idea what's going on!!)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One day a year I'm a wannabe Belgiumist, today's that day and so far I'm very proud of my boys.
(Even though I have no idea what's going on!!)

Can Boonen go out in style?

We should have a cracking finish on our hands here.

BTW, good to hear it's not the news you feared most on the health front. Not nice to have a f***ed back, obviously, but speaking as someone with a well dodgy back (like a lot of us), it can be managed and hopefully won't keep you off the bike long term.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can Boonen go out in style?

We should have a cracking finish on our hands here.

BTW, good to hear it's not the news you feared most on the health front. Not nice to have a f***ed back, obviously, but speaking as someone with a well dodgy back (like a lot of us), it can be managed and hopefully won't keep you off the bike long term.

Where are you watching this?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sincere apologies, what follows is somewhat me, me, me.

According to the receptionist at my doctors (who paraphrased the letter which is yet to arrive with me, in the middle of the surgery :facepalm: ) I should be receiving some good news:-

My back is f***ed - with multiple compressions down my vertebrae - the receptionist didn't know most of the long words or have an actual diagnosis, neither did any of the half a dozen people queuing around me. :lol: :facepalm:

Most of my secondary symptoms are as a result of that.

Now I know what you're thinking here, but that is actually good news.
It's what I was hoping for and in all honesty was expecting.

I had the stuffing knocked out of me because the good old NHS wanted to see if my bad back was a cover for the other symptoms and masking the onset of Multiple Sclerosis.

So assuming sclerosis wasn't one of the unpronounceable words I'm in the clear, with 'just' a scoliosis in my spine to contend with.

Thanks for the kind words that have come my way, they've been much appreciated.
Again sorry for the me, me, me, I shouldn't have alluded to anything a while ago.
But as I'm sure you can imagine, it was rather in the forefront of my mind.

:thumbsup:

Blimey, you have had a lot on your mind. So pleased it's not what you feared.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey 1066 did you see Johnny Deg losing his shite with a Belgiumist in the second group.

They were doing a brilliant job disrupting the chase, and JD finally cracked.
Squirting one with drink, shouting and gesticulating,

The Belgiumer just kept on his wheel :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hey 1066 did you see Johnny Deg losing his shite with a Belgiumist in the second group.

They were doing a brilliant job disrupting the chase, and JD finally cracked.
Squirting one with drink, shouting and gesticulating,

The Belgiumer just kept on his wheel :lol:

Not the only German throwing his toys out the pram. Kittel launched his bidon at the Aussie team car as well :lol:

Next best result to what I wanted there. I'm never unhappy to see Sagan win a race :bowdown:

acheter

Banned
Aug 17, 2016
Looks nice - great feeling getting out on a new steed! (Those wheel reflectors are making my brain itch though!)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Not the only German throwing his toys out the pram. Kittel launched his bidon at the Aussie team car as well :lol:

Next best result to what I wanted there. I'm never unhappy to see Sagan win a race :bowdown:

Why so many DNFs?

That Sagan looks a bit promising doesn't he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here