Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Decathlon are a great brand! My dad also bought himself a Rockrider 560 full sus MTB a couple of months back & it is SUPERB value for money (£500) The Triban range of road bikes are fantastic too - but save your petrol Bozza, the Crawley Store doesn't open until August / September at the earliest IIRC (just interviewed for the Cycling Dept. Managers job!) Get down to the one in Southampton, or the one at Lakeside, instead.

Thanks, yes - just discovered that when I went to check on opening hours! I'm not that keen to take a longer trip right now - I can wait!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks, yes - just discovered that when I went to check on opening hours! I'm not that keen to take a longer trip right now - I can wait!

I just took a punt and ordered mine in the end. It is best to try them though, although there is plenty or adjustment, and reviews do give you a good idea if you want to take a risk. I was pleased with the Rockrider in the end, but would have gone back with it had I not liked it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That article is quite old and, clicking through, the stand-out of those deals aren't available any more. I guess they were when the transition between 2015 and 2016 bikes was going on.

I might venture to the bike shop up in Storrington. I've been there before because my MTB bike is a Specialized and they do their stuff too. Is this shop any good?

That is South Downs Bikes - they are very good, friendly and knowledgable.

At the price range you are looking at, ebay may be your friend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That article is quite old and, clicking through, the stand-out of those deals aren't available any more. I guess they were when the transition between 2015 and 2016 bikes was going on.

I might venture to the bike shop up in Storrington. I've been there before because my MTB bike is a Specialized and they do their stuff too. Is this shop any good?

That is South Downs Bikes - they are very good, friendly and knowledgable.

At the price range you are looking at, ebay may be your friend.
Yep Pogue is right Southdowns are very good, I've known the owner for years.

As said earlier they are a 'major' brand main dealer so the start off point will be around £500.
The same applies to Martin's Trek branch in Goring.

But you should definitely pop in for a chat, advise and a spin out on an Allez or something.
The Storrington branch does occasionally sell second hand bikes (on the right as you go in).
I've never properly looked but I imagine they aren't ebay friendly prices, but at least you'll know what you're getting.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I watched the last 7km of today's stage seeing as it was always only ever going to be a bunch sprint.

There's going to be some serious moaning about the finale on here later :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched the last 7km of today's stage seeing as it was always only ever going to be a bunch sprint.

There's going to be some serious moaning about the finale on here later :lolol:
My only problem with the finale is that nobody properly gave it a good 'Renshawing'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My only problem with the finale is that nobody properly gave it a good 'Renshawing'.

I thought two of them gave a pretty good Renshawing impersonation to be fair. Katusha haven't complained though, which is fair enough when they were glad to throw their own weight around as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought two of them gave a pretty good Renshawing impersonation to be fair. Katusha haven't complained though, which is fair enough when they were glad to throw their own weight around as well.
But all their headbutts seemed to be 'justified'.
I don't think any of them were landed just for the hell of it!

barchetta

Mar 21, 2016
i spent around 3 months procrastinating about which bike, price point to enter at. tried decathlon af, halfrauds boardmans, evans pinnacle,

i looked at lots of reviews and went for a few test rides. i ended up going for the top of the cycle to work scheme, payed over 12mths, around 85 per month before tax and ni.

i chose the defy 0 lots of good reviews and comfy. i kept it down to around 40 miles trips to date, fast fun and not too tiring. you could do a lot worse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], how much out of 10 for today's brow sprint demo?
It was certainly a pretty good effort, almost on a par with me & Phil, last night. :lolol: :facepalm:

i spent around 3 months procrastinating about which bike, price point to enter at. tried decathlon af, halfrauds boardmans, evans pinnacle,

i looked at lots of reviews and went for a few test rides. i ended up going for the top of the cycle to work scheme, payed over 12mths, around 85 per month before tax and ni.

i chose the defy 0 lots of good reviews and comfy. i kept it down to around 40 miles trips to date, fast fun and not too tiring. you could do a lot worse.

Great bike, I've had mine almost a year and love it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hiya [MENTION=3697]sten_super[/MENTION] :wave:

It's been a while since I raised an eyebrow at your location, but I just have to check something:-

Reverse Cambridge Road Climb
https://www.strava.com/segments/1702110?filter=overall

Please tell me that segment has been named sarcastically?

Hello! I was just thinking yesterday that it was about time I made a reappearance in this thread.

I have no idea why it's called a 'climb'. It's even flatter than Strava makes it look. To be honest I have no idea why it's a segment at all - it's a turn off a main road onto a small side road, nothing interesting about it in the slightest.

There are a few sections with 'comedy' names on my commute, including "Alans prowl" and "Big Gay AL's cruise".

In other news, road.cc's Dealcatcher has been rather bad for my wallet recently. Last week started with the purchase of these Tenn Bib Shorts for £17.99 (because at that price it'd be rude not to, frankly) and then I saw this De Marchi jersey for £35, and before I knew it I'd added two base layers and six pairs of socks to get me up to the £75 to enable me to claim £10 back. I'm a sucker for a deal.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Chapeau, FP. The only way is...

Down.

:)

And as if by magic - down in to the bottom 3 again!
Looks a lumpy hard slog today in the Dauphine with a couple of cat 4's & a sharp Cat 2 towards the end. Could well see another group going off the front on a long one again - but sadly one of my men wont be in it. Trofimov failed to sign in this morning so Im a rider short already!
Normal service has been resumed for Fignon's Ponytail....!

Does anyone have experience of riding with a toddler in a child seat on a road bike? I have bought a Hamax Kiss seat, helmet for sprog and am supposed to be picking her up from nursery tomorrow on the bike for the first time (she's 18 months). Any advice besides being ridiculously cautious until I get used to the adjusted handling?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Does anyone have experience of riding with a toddler in a child seat on a road bike? I have bought a Hamax Kiss seat, helmet for sprog and am supposed to be picking her up from nursery tomorrow on the bike for the first time (she's 18 months). Any advice besides being ridiculously cautious until I get used to the adjusted handling?

Haven't done it for years but my memory is don't wear cleats and watch the weight doesn't flip the bike over when you stop and put your foot down. I used to have the seat on the back of a mountain bike, once your going its okay, its the getting started and stopping that I remember as more problematic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yeah, what HHI said, I've had them on my steel frame road back and it can make the steering feel jittery as you've got weight at the back so less weight going through the front wheel, but nothing major. Once you get going you soon get a feel for it and confident in the handling.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016

Not a road bike, but I have that seat on a mountain bike (only used on the road).

They will love it, but:

Don't expect (most) cars to give you any more room, just because you've got a child on the back

Obvious one, but don't give them anything to hold, otherwise their toy Peppa Pig will end up with tyre marks on her from a Nissan Qashqai

Again, probably another obvious one, but - due to the extra weight - don't be tempted to get out of the saddle for anything resembling an uphill. It doesn't make for a particularly stable experience as the bike rocks excessively to the side...

And if all goes well, after a while, the pressure you feel in your lower back is their head as you've gently lolled them off to sleep. Or maybe that only happens at Center Parcs.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Again, probably another obvious one, but - due to the extra weight - don't be tempted to get out of the saddle for anything resembling an uphill. It doesn't make for a particularly stable experience as the bike rocks excessively to the side...

And if all goes well, after a while, the pressure you feel in your lower back is their head as you've gently lolled them off to sleep.

Yes I had forgotten these especially the later when cycling back from the park. Also remember them getting cold at times as they are not moving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here