Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How do you keep up with all this? I know about Terpstra and Boonen, obviously, but the other three? It's all a bit of a mystery to me...

Just a tad addicted to race watching and reading unfortunately. It's even got to the stage where I spend my work breaks, if I can, watching the live CN ticker on my phone for weekday races like Dwars Door Vlaanderen.

Update on those bets. Poor Debusherre went in a ditch at around 80km to go and is currently in hospital being looked at for head injuries. Hopefully all is ok.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just a tad addicted to race watching and reading unfortunately. It's even got to the stage where I spend my work breaks, if I can, watching the live CN ticker on my phone for weekday races like Dwars Door Vlaanderen.

Update on those bets. Poor Debusherre went in a ditch at around 80km to go and is currently in hospital being looked at for head injuries. Hopefully all is ok.

I often have Eurosport running on my work computer, and time my lunch break to catch the finish of races. Unless it is a big one then I try and watch the whole thing back later. Dwars Door Vlaanderen is 100% the kind I will watch in full. This thread is called Cycling Geeks after all. :blush:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Tough school on those bets 1066. 21st, 34th, In a ditch, 15th and 20th.

All looked like decent shouts as well. There seems to be less and less value about these days, I think the UK betting industry has finally woken up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mental block.

Which side of the patch do you stick to the tube?

Right Moto, here's my top tips.

1) Make sure you sandpaper the tube first and clean it.

2) Put on the glue and allow to go tacky for anywhere between 1 - 5 mins (depending on what it says in the instructions) before applying patch.

3) Take off the foil and put that side on the tacky glue pressing as hard as you can for as long as you can. Put the tube over the corner of a table for a firm surface to press against.

4) Have a cup of tea and come back to peel off that cellophane from the patch. Don;t even bother removing it if it looks like it's going to take the patch edges up with it.

5) Put a bit of glue all around the edges of the patch and smooth off with your finger. Allow to dry completely.

6) Rub that chalk all over the patch making sure the edges are well coated.

7) Finally....If you're in no rush, put the tube back in tomorrow and then pump it up.

Good luck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tough school on those bets 1066. 21st, 34th, In a ditch, 15th and 20th.

All looked like decent shouts as well. There seems to be less and less value about these days, I think the UK betting industry has finally woken up.

Yeah, the usual pattern for me on betting, which is why I only do it in small doses and not too often.

I thought they were all good shouts personally, but hey ho, a Sagan win at last makes up for it at least.

Really sad news on the Wanty rider Antoine Demoitie. Came off today and was then run over by a moto. In intensive care in a critical state. Family by his bedside. Hoping and praying he pulls through.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Really sad news on the Wanty rider Antoine Demoitie. Came off today and was then run over by a moto. In intensive care in a critical state. Family by his bedside. Hoping and praying he pulls through.

Holy shit. Them bikes ain't lightweight. Everything crossed for him.

Some sod always gains access to my patches and superglues the foil on. I can never peel it off cleanly. Now worried about the tyre as the stone was easy to dislodge and has left quite a hole in the tube. Maybe time to swap them over?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Holy shit. Them bikes ain't lightweight. Everything crossed for him.

Some sod always gains access to my patches and superglues the foil on. I can never peel it off cleanly. Now worried about the tyre as the stone was easy to dislodge and has left quite a hole in the tube. Maybe time to swap them over?

Sounds like it. Can you actually see through the hole when the tube is inflated? Is it sidewall or the main part of the tyre?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How do you keep up with all this? I know about Terpstra and Boonen, obviously, but the other three? It's all a bit of a mystery to me...
For 'inside' info The Cycling Podcast is tough to beat.
They had a great interview with Benoot a couple of weeks ago.

Got to feel for Terpstra, so far this monument season.
He's done a pooh load of seriously hard miles for absolutely nothing.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sounds like it. Can you actually see through the hole when the tube is inflated? Is it sidewall or the main part of the tyre?

I'll have a proper look tomorrow.

2 patches down, so the whole lot has been binned. I might put repaired tubes back on, but I'll be reluctant to travel without brand new spares.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For 'inside' info The Cycling Podcast is tough to beat.
They had a great interview with Benoot a couple of weeks ago.

Got to feel for Terpstra, so far this monument season.
He's done a pooh load of seriously hard miles for absolutely nothing.

That's the one with that Lionel bloke isn't it? I've tried a couple of times to listen to that and I just can't get beyond his voice and some of the inane chatter they come out with.

It's strange to see Terpstra selflessly working so hard for the team these last couple of races as normally that's not his bag. It seems him and Stybar were sacrificed to bring back the escapes for a sprint for Boonen and Trentin. Perhaps the former have been promised protected status in the two big ones coming up if they pretty much work as doms in these 'smaller' races :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the one with that Lionel bloke isn't it? I've tried a couple of times to listen to that and I just can't get beyond his voice and some of the inane chatter they come out with.

Yeah, they do enjoy keeping it lite. (notice the lack of the word bantz!)
But it's worth sticking with, you only have to look at Richard, Daniel and Lionel's books to know they are genuine.

Benoot interview starts at 15mins:-

http://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/7-cometh-the-cobbles

It's strange to see Terpstra selflessly working so hard for the team these last couple of races as normally that's not his bag. It seems him and Stybar were sacrificed to bring back the escapes for a sprint for Boonen and Trentin. Perhaps the former have been promised protected status in the two big ones coming up if they pretty much work as doms in these 'smaller' races :shrug:
So far Cancellara has single handedly ripped Ettix apart.
It doesn't seem to matter how many are chasing Fabian it's always Terstra on the front, and when he's finally done in, there's nobody else.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, they do enjoy keeping it lite. (notice the lack of the word bantz!)
But it's worth sticking with, you only have to look at Richard, Daniel and Lionel's books to know they are genuine.

But I've tried sticking with it before and just can't. I think without Lionel's voice I might just be able to wade through the dross for the good bits, but unfortunately Lionel just kills it for me every time. Silly prejudice I know, but I can't help it I'm afraid.

Thanks for the link though, I'll give the Benoot interview a go at least.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But I've tried sticking with it before and just can't. I think without Lionel's voice I might just be able to wade through the dross for the good bits, but unfortunately Lionel just kills it for me every time. Silly prejudice I know, but I can't help it I'm afraid.

Thanks for the link though, I'll give the Benoot interview a go at least.
That might be troublesome for you, it begins with your nemesis interviewing Tiesj's DS.

Night all :wave:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, the usual pattern for me on betting, which is why I only do it in small doses and not too often.

I thought they were all good shouts personally, but hey ho, a Sagan win at last makes up for it at least.

Tragic news, I'm afraid.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-218488?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Jesus Christ. That is awful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Terrible news.

That's at least 3 accidents involving motorbikes this season alone.
Christ knows how many near misses.
After all that it's hard to believe it still had to take a tragedy like this to bring about change.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's a sickening thing to read this morning. I'll wait for more detail before commenting further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here