Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right, second wind on my cycling season having done the usual bugger all during the Summer.

This year I'm finally willing to give mudguards a go as I once again intend commuting in all weathers and will be using the commute bike for weekend and evening club rides as well for another winter.

Recommendations please anyone?

I should add that I'm currently wading through this: http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...best-mudguards-keep-you-dry-when-weathers-not

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right, second wind on my cycling season having done the usual bugger all during the Summer.

This year I'm finally willing to give mudguards a go as I once again intend commuting in all weathers and will be using the commute bike for weekend and evening club rides as well for another winter.

I should add that I'm currently wading through this: http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...best-mudguards-keep-you-dry-when-weathers-not
I use the Zefal full length clip on mudguard, and am very happy with them.

Very easy to swap from bike to bike which in turn may wear the clips, although annual replacements, if needed, are less than a tenner.

I've ridden in some proper filthy downpours and been spotlessly clean afterwards.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Hiya. I have raceblades but can't rave about them. I expect to convert over to SKS Chromoplastic because they are longer and use eyelets. Don't look as good, but that ain't a clincher.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That takes me back 20 years, proper grizzly old schoolers who put an old racing tub inside a clincher for winter. Weighs a ton, rolls like shit! Just get a gatorskin.

Might have been necessary years ago but the tyres available now are so much better.

But a cunning plan. Why heavy now and who would really notice a different 'roll'? Cut 2mm out to ensure a better fit and Bob's your uncle. I've come perilously close to too numb fingers with a flat in the past. If this is cast iron, it has to be given serious thought in the winter months.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hiya. I have raceblades but can't rave about them. I expect to convert over to SKS Chromoplastic because they are longer and use eyelets. Don't look as good, but that ain't a clincher.

Yeah crud raceblades or SKS seem to be popular choices, but as with most things, I'm reading mixed reviews.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But a cunning plan. Why heavy now and who would really notice a different 'roll'? Cut 2mm out to ensure a better fit and Bob's your uncle. I've come perilously close to too numb fingers with a flat in the past. If this is cast iron, it has to be given serious thought in the winter months.
According to gnarly hero the trick is to not cut too far up the side wall.
You must still have enough 'inner' tyre to be below the top of the rim, when inflated.
If you don't you'll get pitch punctures.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Yeah crud raceblades or SKS seem to be popular choices, but as with most things, I'm reading mixed reviews.

Hmm, I've ridden a fair bit with the Crud roadracer mk2 and you will find you occasionally bring them home in your bag. They'll keep you dry enough and will rub a bit. I now use the SKS stuff and was initially delighted. However, my rear SKS managed to snap in half on a particularly wet ride.

On the plus side you can cheaply and quickly get spares for the Cruds. Also the customer service from SKS was superb as they quickly shipped another set to me from Germany.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hmm, I've ridden a fair bit with the Crud roadracer mk2 and you will find you occasionally bring them home in your bag. They'll keep you dry enough and will rub a bit. I now use the SKS stuff and was initially delighted. However, my rear SKS managed to snap in half on a particularly wet ride.

On the plus side you can cheaply and quickly get spares for the Cruds. Also the customer service from SKS was superb as they quickly shipped another set to me from Germany.

Thanks. Fragility and rattle prone were some of the negatives I was reading on both.

Now gone with SB's Zefal recommendation. Just hope the fitting isn't as much as a faff as some reviews have suggested.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks. Fragility and rattle prone were some of the negatives I was reading on both.

Now gone with SB's Zefal recommendation. Just hope the fitting isn't as much as a faff as some reviews have suggested.
I can't imagine how cack handed you have to be in order to find fitting a faff with mine.

All you have to do is loop and connect the rubber clip around the frame, centre the guard then tighten the clips.
If it takes longer than 2 minutes you're doing it wrong.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I can't imagine how cack handed you have to be in order to find fitting a faff with mine.

All you have to do is loop and connect the rubber clip around the frame, centre the guard then tighten the clips.

2 Minutes?? Cripes, I hate to think how many sets of 2 minutes I used fitting my SKS guards. I took at least one eternity fitting P clips and recycling the chainset piece from my crud to extend the SKS guard. But, its all worth it now as they have lasted about 2 months and I think it's rained twice in that time!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 Minutes?? Cripes, I hate to think how many sets of 2 minutes I used fitting my SKS guards. I took at least one eternity fitting P clips and recycling the chainset piece from my crud to extend the SKS guard. But, its all worth it now as they have lasted about 2 months and I think it's rained twice in that time!

These SKS' have the same set up as my Zefal's.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CNbAs8vBvMgCFWXnwgodP4sGDA&gclsrc=aw.ds
There's a rubber belt that stretches from those black clips around the bike and locks into the other side (the bit that's pointing out) and that's it.
I must admit I was very dubious about how well they'd work, so much so in fact I didn't use them for years, until last winter.
Then it became obvious I'd been somewhat silly.
Sure occasionally, in my haste, I'd looped the rubber around a spoke as well as the forks :facepalm: but that's not something that goes unnoticed :lol:

One thought did occur to me last night, 'yay 1066 has guaranteed us a dry end to the year'!

Anyway the sun is out and there's cycling to be done, toodles.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've gone full circle in 24hrs....

Do I really need an MTB?

Surely a cyclocross / gravel-adventure bike is what I need?

I can do a quick blast around the Downs, and use a variety of trails and gravel paths etc. plus I'd have a winter training bike with interchangeable parts with the road bike...

Hmmmmmm.....thinking cap Bold!! :glare:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've spent most of the summer reading about gravel/adventure/cyclocross bikes, for winter usage.

Sadly for you, as Strava will testify, I'm too tired to go link-crazy now, if I don't get round to it later I'll sort it out tomorrow.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've gone full circle in 24hrs....

Do I really need an MTB?

Surely a cyclocross / gravel-adventure bike is what I need?

I can do a quick blast around the Downs, and use a variety of trails and gravel paths etc. plus I'd have a winter training bike with interchangeable parts with the road bike...

Hmmmmmm.....thinking cap Bold!! :glare:

I nearly went down the cyclo-cross route a few years back.

Thing is, you get more out of an MTB on the trails, and you can venture further off road than on a cx. It's just more fun.

Also, these days they are very light, and beautifully constructed. You'd be hard pushed to go as fast off road as you would on an MTB.

I am so pleased that I didn't buy a cx bike. You've got to be a serious cx racer to make these a worthwhile option, in my opinion. Buy an MTB, and I will take you by the hand and lead you through the trails of Sussex.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Not quite though. I'd have been well chuffed with my raceblades had they lined up properly. Because of the shape of forks etc, one end of the guard was rubbing the wheel while the other was about 3cm away from it. Lots of annoying bending of wires required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here