Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So I'm breaking my fantasy cycling duck and have entered a team. Outside of the front runners and the major tours I can't say I follow a huge amount of pro cycling, so my selection basically consisted of who I'd heard of that I could fit to the budget.

:nono: :nono:

Rookie mistake, if not the rookiest of all mistakes. :down:

Everybody knows when in doubt you pick the funniest name.

WHY YOU PEOPLE NO LISTEN.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
http://road.cc/content/news/161050-...rs-kentucky-new-ruling-allows-them-ride-bikes

Mahahaha.

I do question the validity of that story though, given this picture (as an example)

amish_bike.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unbelievable Jeff.

I over paid my credit card by £29.70.
Happy days, Wiggle here I come.

Less than an hour later I find out the oven door catch is broken.
T'internet saying I don't need the £8 replacement, or the £15 replacement, either.
Oh no the replacement I require costs...

...£29.64 - how is that possible?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK, I have to admit to a sinful monstrosity that I have created. In my quest for more aero, I have ended up with this arrangement -

I guess you've now got somewhere to rest your chin.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
OMG:eek::sick:

Are you one of those triple sporting event weirdos or something? [emoji38]ol:

At least you realise you have a problem, I suppose...
I feel dirty. Sleeveless, sockless and having to look down at this thing - it's pure self flagellation!
I guess you've now got somewhere to rest your chin.
Yeah, I might get the steerer cut down. Yes, that'll make it all OK!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll just leave this here...
e129934469cff12cf98d0e9726254340.jpg

Oh yes, at last night penultimate track meeting there was a little girl riding one of these:-

TX74S.jpg

She'd had it customised with a pink saddle and very pink tyres.
No prizes for what colour kit she was wearing, or which bidon was hers. :lol:

She looked brilliant.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Unbelievable Jeff.

I over paid my credit card by £29.70.
Happy days, Wiggle here I come.

Less than an hour later I find out the oven door catch is broken.
T'internet saying I don't need the £8 replacement, or the £15 replacement, either.
Oh no the replacement I require costs...

...£29.64 - how is that possible?
Just use string and sticks and spend the money at wiggle anyway.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Any geeks can recommend a lock to lock up a bike(s) values at £400? Existing lock still works but is getting cranky. Needs a squirt of WD40. Complex mechanism seems liable to get stuck and leave me stranded somewhere. And it takes ages ot get it to work.

Shortlist first. I expect I will have paid more for a second-hand bike in the past. I uusally prefer combination locks as keys get get lost. But good key locks considered.

(1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...as2&tag=bikelock02-21&linkId=GUKKMEIW2JYK6I6K

The only downside of getting an expensive lock I've found in the past is the bike can still get vandalised beyond redemption with a lock.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Any geeks can recommend a lock to lock up a bike(s) values at £400? Existing lock still works but is getting cranky. Needs a squirt of WD40. Complex mechanism seems liable to get stuck and leave me stranded somewhere. And it takes ages ot get it to work.

Shortlist first. I expect I will have paid more for a second-hand bike in the past. I uusally prefer combination locks as keys get get lost. But good key locks considered.

(1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...as2&tag=bikelock02-21&linkId=GUKKMEIW2JYK6I6K

The only downside of getting an expensive lock I've found in the past is the bike can still get vandalised beyond redemption with a lock.

I use one of these, along with a cheaper cable type lock. I've never had a bike nicked since I started using it 7/8 years ago. Was recommended by a bloke in a bike shop in London with a questionable past in the bike trade! He said they are great because they give no leverage and nowhere to put bolt cutters.

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p1091401/Masterlock_Street_Cuffs_Cycle_Lock/product_info.html?utm_source=googleversafeed&vfsku=1091401&gpla=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBv0ClEWfWMxV87faVQ2s3HBkgcyk4bg7_qqQAiRPoVUaAoVp8P8HAQ

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I use one of these, along with a cheaper cable type lock. I've never had a bike nicked since I started using it 7/8 years ago. Was recommended by a bloke in a bike shop in London with a questionable past in the bike trade! He said they are great because they give no leverage and nowhere to put bolt cutters.

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p1091401/Masterlock_Street_Cuffs_Cycle_Lock/product_info.html?utm_source=googleversafeed&vfsku=1091401&gpla=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBv0ClEWfWMxV87faVQ2s3HBkgcyk4bg7_qqQAiRPoVUaAoVp8P8HAQ

Shortlisted

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One for [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]:-

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I just got back from a holiday in Cantabria in northern Spain. I've been there a few times and the mountain (and road) cycling potential is immense. There's usually some Vuelta stages through the mountains that lie a few miles inland from the sea. Stunning scenery and not many cars (if you stay out of the Picos). Can be cheap to get there (fly to Bilbao, Santander or Oviedo or ferry to Santander/Bilbao), fantastic food blah blah. I've not taken a bike as I usually take a surfboard instead but next time....
More details here: http://cantabria-apartment-rental.com/adventure-tourism/mountain-biking/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here