Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
When I read about this last night I assumed the car was in the wrong, but - bloody hell....how fast did he want to take that corner!?!? Has he heard of brakes? Poor driver must've thought he would be well out of the way on the outside.
The rider looked as if he had absolutely no awareness for how sharp that corner was, and loads of the riders were taking it wrong - including the other 2 that crashed. Did any of them actually study the route map before the start?!
Glad he will be ok, but could've been so much worse than it was....
It's true that he was way over doing it but a lot of the riders before seem to come in very fast and get surprised. It would be interesting to see what he was doing before he arrived in the picture.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sap on the road. Talk to me about feeling like you're being stuck down!? Cycling past Plumpton college the hot sap on the road I could feel and hear it clinging and adhering to my tyres, **** you sap I thought!!!

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I'm riding on my day off THIS TUESDAY if anyone is interested.

If riding solo I'll be trying to find Barhatch Road Cranleigh.
But have bike, will travel as I can do that route anytime.

Annoyingly I need to work. After Barhatch the challenge is always where to go next. An idea maybe to go up Pitch Hill which runs north out of Ewhurst. This is a fine hill and if you go straight over the top you'll come to Shere. From here turn right along the A25 through the charming villages of Gomshall and Abinger, then turn left up Whitedown Lane. At the top take a right down Ranmore Road into Dorking. The Jampot cafe with its tables outside will welcome you at the T junction in Dorking. After refuelling its up Leith to Coldharbour and down a southern descent to go towards the A29 and the familiar tarmac of Billingshurst and Pulborough.

If you fancy this I could join you for a cup f tea at The Jampot as I'll be working nearby. Oh what fun it is suggesting a hilly route when I don't have to ride it!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It's true that he was way over doing it but a lot of the riders before seem to come in very fast and get surprised. It would be interesting to see what he was doing before he arrived in the picture.
If you watch from the other angle, video in the news link I posted, he comes around the previous corner like a bat out of hell and completely screwed up any chance of braking. Clearly his desire was greater than physics or his own ability.

Race officials have said the driver and cyclist were not in the wrong, but coming in that hot you have to lay some blame on the cyclist. If the car wasn't there he'd be in those trees I reckon.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
If you watch from the other angle, video in the news link I posted, he comes around the previous corner like a bat out of hell and completely screwed up any chance of braking. Clearly his desire was greater than physics or his own ability.

Race officials have said the driver and cyclist were not in the wrong, but coming in that hot you have to lay some blame on the cyclist. If the car wasn't there he'd be in those trees I reckon.
That clip looks the same as the other ones. The rider before him overcooks it and pulls it in then he appears. You will base your speed into a corner you don't know on those in front, if his man was going too hard then he'll do the same and if he pushes a little more and can't brake then this happens.

He's a relatively experienced pro so something led to it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That clip looks the same as the other ones. The rider before him overcooks it and pulls it in then he appears. You will base your speed into a corner you don't know on those in front, if his man was going too hard then he'll do the same and if he pushes a little more and can't brake then this happens.

He's a relatively experienced pro so something led to it.
Very true.

I think the team directeur sportif is partly to blame too. They should be the ones to study the map and warn riders of some of the tricky stuff, surely. Unless Tour of Utah bans radio communication to riders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Annoyingly I need to work. After Barhatch the challenge is always where to go next. An idea maybe to go up Pitch Hill which runs north out of Ewhurst. This is a fine hill and if you go straight over the top you'll come to Shere. From here turn right along the A25 through the charming villages of Gomshall and Abinger, then turn left up Whitedown Lane. At the top take a right down Ranmore Road into Dorking. The Jampot cafe with its tables outside will welcome you at the T junction in Dorking. After refuelling its up Leith to Coldharbour and down a southern descent to go towards the A29 and the familiar tarmac of Billingshurst and Pulborough.

If you fancy this I could join you for a cup f tea at The Jampot as I'll be working nearby. Oh what fun it is suggesting a hilly route when I don't have to ride it!
I think tomorrow I'll just be tacking Barhatch onto my usual northern spin and go up through Rudgwick returning via Dunsfold.
I'll certainly be asking for advise if I take to riding in the grim north.

I have to be in on Tuesday morning. Would have loved to.
C'est la vie, maybe next time.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
British Cycling have a very strong team for this weekend's revolution event in Derby. Wiggins, Cav, Clancy, Trott, Archibald... anyone would think they have a new Jersey to flog!

Shame it won't be on telly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a quality clipped in fall for you geeks.

After climbing Barhatch I went past the left turn I needed just to make sure I had actually finished the climb.
I stopped for a drink.
Then got back on and clipped in my inside (right) shoe.
Now I attempted to do a 0.1 mph u-turn to the right on a narrow lane.

Sure enough the next thing I know I'll lying in the road with my pride in tatters. :facepalm: :lol:

I'm just thankful I was alone, as 30 seconds later there would have been a few cars and a fellow roadie.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As someone relatively new to cycling, interested to know if there is a rule similar to Naismith's rule for cycling. Done a few rides and would like to 'convert' the ascent into time, as Naismith does.

Interesting question, but your cycling speed is going to be so difficult to estimate compared to a walking speed where your margin for error is smaller. You'd have so many other factors to consider in estimating the speed too like weather, how far you'd been before it, how you were feeling etc. I try to go up the Beacon as fast as I can whenever I attempt it. For just under a 1 mile climb, I've done it from anything between 9mins 12 seconds (5mph) to 6mins 46 secs (8.1mph).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As someone relatively new to cycling, interested to know if there is a rule similar to Naismith's rule for cycling. Done a few rides and would like to 'convert' the ascent into time, as Naismith does.

Nah, nothing like that. Are you on Strava? It logs all the data for EVERY part of your ride.

You will go slower on your own than if you cycle in a group. How quickly you can climb depends on your weight and fitness.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Nah, nothing like that. Are you on Strava? It logs all the data for EVERY part of your ride.

You will go slower on your own than if you cycle in a group. How quickly you can climb depends on your weight and fitness.

Yes, I am (via Garmin Express) but it is tedious unpicking all the stretches. Naismith is a handy rough and ready tool when walking

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Interesting question, but your cycling speed is going to be so difficult to estimate compared to a walking speed where your margin for error is smaller. You'd have so many other factors to consider in estimating the speed too like weather, how far you'd been before it, how you were feeling etc. I try to go up the Beacon as fast as I can whenever I attempt it. For just under a 1 mile climb, I've done it from anything between 9mins 12 seconds (5mph) to 6mins 46 secs (8.1mph).

Yes, probably true that cycling has more variability than walking, but still true that Scafell Pike in sunshine is quicker then in snow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here