Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Stat forgive if I'm wrong but I've ridden up and down Pouter's Lane and I can't find this massive 14% climb anywhere ???

View attachment 65864

I can only think whoever set that segment had a corrupted device. Apparently there's a cat 3 near me but when you look at it, the beginning is 437 feet below see level and it is at 9%.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I can only think whoever set that segment had a corrupted device. Apparently there's a cat 3 near me but when you look at it, the beginning is 437 feet below see level and it is at 9%.

:lolol: it made me chuckle as it's just round the corner and don't think you could get a flatter road.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat forgive if I'm wrong but I've ridden up and down Pouter's Lane and I can't find this massive 14% climb anywhere ???
]

Are you strava stalking me banjo?

Do I need to get a restraining order? :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah that'll teach me. :( Just out of interest have I actually got anty segments quicker. :lolol:
Now now, we best not start that, I'm sure you have plenty.
I was just being a silly arse, for comedic effect.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Odd things you encounter on a bike ride #3.

6.30am - outskirts of Maidstone - well dressed young man crossing the road towards you waver a 5er at you. I hope he was on his way home sharing the love after a blinding night out, not another mental heath statistic.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Down in the Pyrenees and with nothing pre-planned today we've driven the Col d'Aubisque, Hautcam, and Col du Tourmalet.
Amazed first at the sheer number of people of all ages (and in some cases apparent fitness) taking on some serious challenges but most of all at the speed even rank amateurs descend. Around La Mongie coming down off Tourmalet still in cloud we were overtaken by a group who near miraculously avoided a herd of cattle crossing the road. They escaped with a few nasty scrapes to knees and elbows but we're lucky not to have suffered something much more serious. Totally freekin' mad!!!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Down in the Pyrenees and with nothing pre-planned today we've driven the Col d'Aubisque, Hautcam, and Col du Tourmalet.
Amazed first at the sheer number of people of all ages (and in some cases apparent fitness) taking on some serious challenges but most of all at the speed even rank amateurs descend. Around La Mongie coming down off Tourmalet still in cloud we were overtaken by a group who near miraculously avoided a herd of cattle crossing the road. They escaped with a few nasty scrapes to knees and elbows but we're lucky not to have suffered something much more serious. Totally freekin' mad!!!!

I would love to drive that route - last year's etape, which I thoroughly enjoyed (!) included the Tourmalet and the Hautecam. It would be interesting to see how the climbs feel when not on a bike, if you know what I mean.

Descending, it has to be said, was more fun!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a somewhat more sensible note, I've been really struggling to get a new jersey.

This morning, having once again gone through all the usual sites I was on the verge of blowing the:-

Team Geek Assemble conch

when I stumbled across

http://www.conquestcyclewear.com/

Their kit at full price gets very good reviews, and now it seems to be half price.
The jersey should be with me tomorrow, if it's any good I'll let you know.
Just back from wearing my new jersey, the Performance 2, and very good it is too.

There's not a lot to it, so it's very much a summer wear.
But it fits really nicely (if you're between sizes I'd suggest you go up instead of down) without ever feeling clingy.
There's enough elasticity for stretching.

For £40 I don't see how you can go wrong.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Going out still half asleep has its drawbacks. Something has not felt right for a little while, but I've pressed on. Yesterday after a little clipped-in-oopsie I knocked my seat off centre somehow. This helped me twig that my saddle has been sinking down. Just popped it back up a little, so I'll see how that goes.

Longest ride of the year and barely got into the second bottle and only had one nana and one nakd bar along the way. Wierd. Last 10 miles were a bit of a slog - wind turned on me again.

Just back from wearing my new jersey, the Performance 2, and very good it is too.

There's not a lot to it, so it's very much a summer wear.
But it fits really nicely (if you're between sizes I'd suggest you go up instead of down) without ever feeling clingy.
There's enough elasticity for stretching.

For £40 I don't see how you can go wrong.

Nice looking gear that Stat. Good service?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice looking gear that Stat. Good service?
Next day for the jersey.
My gilet wasn't in stock in the same depot, so expecting that later in the week.
That will be the acid test.

You do realise my 10 year old son rides up bigger hills than you do? :p :whistle:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Catch the Dauphine highlights if you can. Superb stuff.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Heads up, wiggo going for the hour record now on Sky2.

You can stuff that, the real action was at the Dauphine.

A true best of British performance there today :clap: Love seeing wins in that fashion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello geeks, I'm after some bike buying advise so I thought I'd ask the experts.
I promise to never tell you how it went.
In fact I'll probably ignore your advise, buy the wrong bike and then say cycling is shitehouse.

Anyway having had a couple of scary moments riding all winter on my commute, I vowed to get something sturdier for this winter.
I set my sights on a cyclocross bike, but always had in the back of my mind I'm 'not using it for purpose'.

Now this has come along:-

Buyer’s guide to gravel and adventure bikes plus 11 of the Best
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/153491-buyer-s-guide-gravel-and-adventure-bikes

At face value this range would seem ideal.

Only now the back of my mind is saying 'Emperors new clothes'.
A 'gravel bike' seems a little too hipster gimmicky for me.

Any advise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here