Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Unusual things to see in the road on a bike ride: a boxing glove.

Today I decided to give my old L2B training ride a go. Never did it so early, or after a ride the day before. First climb is always tough, but a PB up the tough part (in granny gear). Second climb saw me use lower gears and granny ring at the end. 3rd climb saw me bail on the steep bit. 4th climb saw me bail after the approach. Cracking morning.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Ah the good old days.

At least the boy Wiggins hasn't resorted to running and swimming. :kiss:

Had a nice 20km this morning in the cold. Unfortunately, it was preceded by a swim and followed by a run so I guess it doesn't really count as a "proper" ride...

Blimey the lake was cold!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Had a nice 20km this morning in the cold. Unfortunately, it was preceded by a swim and followed by a run so I guess it doesn't really count as a "proper" ride...

Blimey the lake was cold!
Just entered my 2nd tri, moving up to standard from sprint and graduating from 400m pool swim to 1500m in a river. Not sure how I'm going to adapt to that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just entered my 2nd tri, moving up to standard from sprint and graduating from 400m pool swim to 1500m in a river. Not sure how I'm going to adapt to that!
On you own thread for starters :lol:

How are you finding the Pro Race 4's?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
On you own thread for starters [emoji38]

How are you finding the Pro Race 4's?
Right, that's it I'm off to start my own thread.

Just remember that it's not me it's you, geeks!

I've not got the pro race 4s on yet! My commute takes in a really shifty bit of cycle path that glistens like the starry sky with all the glass on it. The only alternative is a bit of dual carriageway with all the lorries coming from the port. They are, however, in the process of resurfacing said cycle path so I'm waiting to christen it with the new tyres!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just got myself a bike second hand, the back wheel is a bit loose, moves on the bearing.

Any ideas?
What sort of bike/wheels are we talking here, and is this the front or back?

There's plenty of 'replace bicycle wheel bearings' tutorials on Youtube.
Although if that isn't your thing then it's a simple enough job for a shop.

If the bike is a bog standard second hand A to B'er then chances are new bog standard wheels will be cheaper than a shop bearing replacement.

Edit
Sorry I just reread and noticed the crucial bit.
Back wheel bearings are harder to replace than front, because of the re cogs.

What sort of bike/wheels are we talking here, and is this the front or back?

There's plenty of 'replace bicycle wheel bearings' tutorials on Youtube.
Although if that isn't your thing then it's a simple enough job for a shop.

If the bike is a bog standard second hand A to B'er then chances are new bog standard wheels will be cheaper than a shop bearing replacement.

Edit
Sorry I just reread and noticed the crucial bit.
Back wheel bearings are harder to replace than front, because of the re cogs.

It's a Viking racer, it only ever did the London to Brighton. Looks brand new in every respect.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It's a Viking racer, it only ever did the London to Brighton. Looks brand new in every respect.
Could just need tightening. YouTube is your friend here as it may be a matter of tightening the bearings until the play is gone. Does the wheel wiggle side to side in the frame?

Could just need tightening. YouTube is your friend here as it may be a matter of tightening the bearings until the play is gone. Does the wheel wiggle side to side in the frame?

Looks like you need special tools.

Halfords it is then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How loose is loose?

When in position with the quick realise skewer not too tight (a common mistake) how much play is there?
I have one bike that's rock solid but the other has a couple of mm's 'wiggle' room.
Granted it's not ideal but it won't kill me, either.

Obviously there's no harm in cleaning the whole axle through, spraying it with WD40 and checking the skewer is sound.

If you're not happy with the 'play' a new or better second hand wheel might be the cheaper way to go, than fixing a bearings.
Even then it still won't be expensive.

In the meantime and for ever more keep your tyres pumped up.

How loose is loose?

When in position with the quick realise skewer not too tight (a common mistake) how much play is there?
I have one bike that's rock solid but the other has a couple of mm's 'wiggle' room.
Granted it's not ideal but it won't kill me, either.

Obviously there's no harm in cleaning the whole axle through, spraying it with WD40 and checking the skewer is sound.

If you're not happy with the 'play' a new or better second hand wheel might be the cheaper way to go, than fixing a bearings.
Even then it still won't be expensive.

In the meantime and for ever more keep your tyres pumped up.

It's noticeable is the best way I can describe it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's noticeable is the best way I can describe it.
Ok.

I'd be surprised if it was an urgent problem for nipping around town or a short commute.
But if in your head you're not confident with the wheel, you should definitely get some expert opinion.
You'll never get the full benefit of riding if you're just waiting for a problem to arise.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Looks like you need special tools.

Halfords it is then.

No shame in getting the bike shop to fix it, in my book. But use a small local bike shop instead of Halfords.

Halfords' mechanics are rarely very knowledgable when compared to the dedicated geeks you get in a LBS, and the service will be nothing like as friendly or in depth.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Astana looking very very strong so far. Aru needs to actually gain some time over Contador and especially Porte before the TT though. Another exciting days racing, this Giro has been superb so far.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm happy with Cav winning on points and Sagan winning GC. Would be fun to see a biggie that close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here