Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've decided to only commute on the bike and have a complete break from proper rides for a while. Not recording any of the commutes either so going to give Strava a proper rest (I'll still check what others are doing though from time to time).

Just feeling run down in every respect and to cap it all little miss 1066 had a puncture over the nature reserve the other evening - freezing cold wind, furthest point away from the car and the valve on her spare 650c tube keep coming unscrewed with the pump (long story). I'd left the puncture kit at home too so she had to cycle back slowly on a flat tucked in behind me into a beast of a coastal headwind for about 3 miles or so. Luckily it doesn't seem to have wrecked her tyre or wheel or her enjoyment of the ride, but it has wrecked what little was left of any mojo I had :down: Blessing in disguise though I think as the break will do me good I hope.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've decided to only commute on the bike and have a complete break from proper rides for a while. Not recording any of the commutes either so going to give Strava a proper rest (I'll still check what others are doing though from time to time).

Just feeling run down in every respect and to cap it all little miss 1066 had a puncture over the nature reserve the other evening - freezing cold wind, furthest point away from the car and the valve on her spare 650c tube keep coming unscrewed with the pump (long story). I'd left the puncture kit at home too so she had to cycle back slowly on a flat tucked in behind me into a beast of a coastal headwind for about 3 miles or so. Luckily it doesn't seem to have wrecked her tyre or wheel or her enjoyment of the ride, but it has wrecked what little was left of any mojo I had :down: Blessing in disguise though I think as the break will do me good I hope.
No harm in taking a break to regain your love of cycling - mine lasted about 10 years!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No harm in taking a break to regain your love of cycling - mine lasted about 10 years!

It's a shame to take a break now when I've finally been feeling improvements due to putting some half decent winter miles in (by my standards anyway) and completely changing how I ride. I'd rather a natural break come when I'm planted firmly on the settee for three weeks escaping the heat and watching the TdF instead. But still, busy planting time of year now so perhaps not a bad time to take a break after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Clutching at straws here and probably only telling granny how to suck eggs - plus whatever other cliches you want to chuck in for good measure, but......

You definitely have put the stem and top cap back on in the right order haven't you? Only I didn't the one and only time I did mine, so despite tightening the top cap up to the point of breaking a bit of it off, everything was still loose. A new top cap and youtube tutorial soon had me sorted luckily.

As I say, you've done it before so probably wouldn't make such a mistake, but just a thought.
Thanks, but I'm as sure as I can be it's all good.
I even put it back together jumbled up just so I was confident that I was right all along.
Today's ride seems to have sorted out the mechanics just not the noise.

I suppose the noise may well be coming from elsewhere and just reverberating 'out front'.

I guess I've been riding pretty hard recently on a bike of age, it's days of silky smooth gliding on rough roads might be behind it.

The easiest way to sort it out would be to just buy a Canyon Endurace!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame to take a break now when I've finally been feeling improvements due to putting some half decent winter miles in (by my standards anyway) and completely changing how I ride. I'd rather a natural break come when I'm planted firmly on the settee for three weeks escaping the heat and watching the TdF instead. But still, busy planting time of year now so perhaps not a bad time to take a break after all.
Deffo no point forcing yourself and making a bad situation worse.

I'm sure you'll know when the times right to get going again.
Chances are you'll be all the stronger for the break.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Upside down mate. Do the commute in a car. You'll soon regret it.

I'm doing my first commute tomorrow. I've been grinning at the prospect for days. Then going out solo on Saturday, with a ride with my speedy mate and another solo Sunday and Monday. The wife'll be grumpy with all the washing, but she can get funked. Eye of the Tiger baby, I've got a mountain to prep for.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Upside down mate. Do the commute in a car. You'll soon regret it.

I'm doing my first commute tomorrow. I've been grinning at the prospect for days. Then going out solo on Saturday, with a ride with my speedy mate and another solo Sunday and Monday. The wife'll be grumpy with all the washing, but she can get funked. Eye of the Tiger baby, I've got a mountain to prep for.

What mountain, Moto? What have you got planned?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I also enjoyed the Tour OF Yorkshire this afternoon. It does annoy me a bit that they insist on the 'de' insted of 'of' though. This is not a French race, the Cote de Robin Hood Bay does not make any sense. Fine when it was the Tour de France, fine calling it a peloton, a bidon etc etc but Tour de Yorkshire just sounds stupid :rant:

I particularly enjoyed Ned Boulting and David Millar as a commentary team, well informed and informative. Such a rarity for cycling commentators to have any sort of a clue what is going on. I'm looking at you Phil, Paul and Carlton.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I also enjoyed the Tour OF Yorkshire this afternoon. It does annoy me a bit that they insist on the 'de' insted of 'of' though. This is not a French race, the Cote de Robin Hood Bay does not make any sense. Fine when it was the Tour de France, fine calling it a peloton, a bidon etc etc but Tour de Yorkshire just sounds stupid :rant:

I particularly enjoyed Ned Boulting and David Millar as a commentary team, well informed and informative. Such a rarity for cycling commentators to have any sort of a clue what is going on. I'm looking at you Phil, Paul and Carlton.
I agree. Is it an aso thing?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I agree. Is it an aso thing?

Doesn't appear to be. It is The Tour OF Qatar, Tour OF Oman, Arctic Race OF Norway, La Vuelta a Espana. I guess it is them weird Yorkshire folk that have done this. Really it should be Tour Tut Yorkshire :lolol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Looks a beaut. When is that planned for? Part of a longer holiday I presume?

Yeah. Mrs M wanted a drive out holiday, so I went looking for a coast with nearby mountain setting. 3 bike hire shops nearby. This morning, by coincidence I had a long slog of similar distance. At 4 times the gradient, I don't really stand a funking chance.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks, but I'm as sure as I can be it's all good.
I even put it back together jumbled up just so I was confident that I was right all along.
Today's ride seems to have sorted out the mechanics just not the noise.

I suppose the noise may well be coming from elsewhere and just reverberating 'out front'.

I guess I've been riding pretty hard recently on a bike of age, it's days of silky smooth gliding on rough roads might be behind it.

The easiest way to sort it out would be to just buy a Canyon Endurace!
SB, how did you get in with replacing yout campag chainset bearings? Was it a bike shop job in the end?

Mine are running freely bit a bit noisy despite generous application of gt85!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
SB, how did you get in with replacing yout campag chainset bearings? Was it a bike shop job in the end?

Mine are running freely bit a bit noisy despite generous application of gt85!
No, it was all good, once I overcame the inevitable part of the job that wasn't going to form.
On the crank side I needed to bypass a bearing puller with a vice, screwdriver and a big hammer, but once that was off it's a pretty straight forward fix.

The key to completing was the introduction of a stunt peg to my tool kit.
It's the perfect size and shape to use as a taperonerer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here