Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is the issue SB. I said that cycling will get rid of me beer belly!
and how much have you eaten and drunk after such a tough ride today?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No one else watching Three Days of De Panne? Weird...

Viviani needs to grow some balls, three days in a row he has been in a decent position coming in to the final corner. Three days in a row he has been swamped by others cornering faster than him. The Italian Theo Bos, spend all year waiting for a perfect straight finish, on a flat course, with a tail wind, then he might win. So long as Cav, Kristoff, Kittel, Bouhanni and Greipel aren't there.

Dear geeks, I have a request! I took my Merida ride 90 2014 to the shop where it was bought today as it suffers from a gear shifting issue. it runs on the Claris groupset. When I picked it up the guy said that he had adjusted everything he could but the issue was still there. (Certain gears won't engage without going up then down) he thought it may be the shifters. He then said that the drive train was worn! The bike is 9 months old and I have done 2k miles. The Q is with ur super knowledge; is this normal as I want to upgrade in 3 months but he says that it needs to be addressed.
Please. P.S thanks SB.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Dear geeks, I have a request! I took my Merida ride 90 2014 to the shop where it was bought today as it suffers from a gear shifting issue. it runs on the Claris groupset. When I picked it up the guy said that he had adjusted everything he could but the issue was still there. (Certain gears won't engage without going up then down) he thought it may be the shifters. He then said that the drive train was worn! The bike is 9 months old and I have done 2k miles. The Q is with ur super knowledge; is this normal as I want to upgrade in 3 months but he says that it needs to be addressed.
Please. P.S thanks SB.
Shouldn't happen that quickly, it should be within warranty though?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The bike is 9 months old and I have done 2k miles.

The age is irrelevant, but 2,000 miles is a decent amount of use. The chain (and cassette) could need replacing after that amount of time. Especially if you've been using it throughout the winter and/or not maintaining (clean and lube) as much as you should.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For sure, but I've kept the bike in tip top in the aforementioned notations. But wear and tear so soon puts me off upgrading. Many geeks must had an alloy before carbon. ...But 9 months?
The frame isn't an issue.

As said if the cassette and chain need replacing so be it.
Chain Reaction have Tiagra, I couldn't instantly find Claris,10 speed for £12.50 each.
(I can't believe I've dirtied my search history with fishing tackle)

It's a reasonably straight forward refit, and obviously a job that will do you well to know going forward.

I do question the need to change the chain ring (cranks) and/or shifters.

Chain Reaction have Tiagra, I couldn't instantly find Claris,10 speed for £12.50 each.

It's a reasonably straight forward refit, and obviously a job that will do you well to know going forward.

Cheers SB, u know u love it!!! So the next Q is are there any local geeks that could help me fit the parts if I bought them??

Cheers SB, u know u love it!!! So the next Q is are there any local geeks that could help me fit the parts if I bought them??

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The age is irrelevant, but 2,000 miles is a decent amount of use. The chain (and cassette) could need replacing after that amount of time. Especially if you've been using it throughout the winter and/or not maintaining (clean and lube) as much as you should.
Not that much for shifters, maybe enough for a new chain or cables but that's still pushing it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You genuinely don't need help, armed with the right tools and a reputable Youtube tutorial, it's pretty straight forward.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I would just start with the chain and see if that helps. A bit of chain stretch will throw everything out and changing it might sort the problem.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You genuinely don't need help, armed with the right tools and a reputable Youtube tutorial, it's pretty straight forward.

I can vouch for this ^^^

I changed the rear cassette on my bike and it really was a doddle. I'm not very good mechanically but give most things a go via youtube tutorials and for this particular job I didn't throw a single feck into it :angel: so it must have been easy!

You have to get the right tools though and make sure they're compatible. I invested in a chain whip and Campag cassette remover - not hugely expensive and tools that will last you a lifetime, so worth buying and adding to your DIY toolkit.

The bonus of doing jobs yourself are many too. Save money, really get to know your bike, ride confidence in knowing your bike is properly maintained, and a great sense of satisfaction when you complete a new job for the first time.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Cheers IL I'll start with that! Meanwhile, i'll have to avoid seg challenges @statbrother! !!!!!! X

Note that you need to buy a specific chain, they are slightly different widths depending upon how many cogs you have on the rear cassette. I believe Claris is 8 speed, so get an 8 speed chain. You will also need to remove some links to make it the correct length. A Google search will show you how to calculate this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By pro cyclists

“It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond

“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.” John Howard

“When my legs hurt, I say: "Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!” Jens Voigt

“It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels.” Heinz Stucke, German long-distance touring cyclist

“Crashing is part of cycling as crying is part of love." Johan Museeuw

“Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades.” Eddy Merckx

“As long as I breathe, I attack.” Bernard Hinault

By other people

“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.” Mark Twain, American author and humourist

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip

“Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” Albert Einstein

“Bicycles are almost as good as guitars for meeting girls.” Bob Weir, Grateful dead

“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F Kennedy

“Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race.” HG Wells, English author

“As a kid I had a dream – I wanted to own my own bicycle. When I got the bike I must have been the happiest boy in Liverpool, maybe the world. I lived for that bike. Most kids left their bike in the backyard at night. Not me. I insisted on taking mine indoors and the first night I even kept it in my bed.” John Lennon

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” Elizabeth West

“Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs

“The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community.” Ann Strong

“Think of bicycles as ridable art that can just about save the world.” Grant Petersen, bicycle designer

“The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind.” William Saroyan, Nobel prize winner

“The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked.” Amy Webster

“Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity” Lord Charles Beresford

“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bicycle and that’s pretty close.” Anon

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A mate of Colin's, who I've ridden with, has posted his latest jaunt.

The Wonderful Wessex Audax.

Only 300km from Portsmouth through Sailsbury, Warminster, Bath, Swindon, Andover, Winchester, back to Pompey.

Distance 226.6miles, Moving Time 13:57:14, elevation 9,537ft.

As the start was Rowland's Castle and he lives in Bognor, he cycled the 40 mile round trip to the event :bowdown: :facepalm: :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here