Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
OK, having broken many rules already by signing up for multi-sport heresy, I put the tri bars on today as I felt I needed to train in the TT position!

A few things became apparent -

- my vastly reduced flexibility compared to the last TT I did (I was 19!) means it's a good job I don't want more kids. The numbness is impressive!

- tri bars and mudguards is a ridiculous combination

- tri bars and a rucksack is both ridiculous looking and a pain in the arse as it keeps getting you in the back of the head.

- tri bars have not provided the speed boost I hoped for. I have to accept that I am just much, much slower than I used to be.

I once rode to a race with a rucksack, while wearing an aero helmet. Neither practical nor aesthetically pleasing!

Have you just put tribars on the road bike without tinkering with saddle position and bar height?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
E3 Harelbeke highlights are well worth a watch. Unfortunately a few crashes to key classics riders as well, but hopefully they'll be ok for the big races coming up.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
E3 Harelbeke highlights are well worth a watch. Unfortunately a few crashes to key classics riders as well, but hopefully they'll be ok for the big races coming up.

Indeed, BBC spoilered me though. I watched up to 30k to go on my break at work, then thought I would save the rest for tomorrow breakfast. :censored:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's tough for me not to mention who popped up third on the podium :whistle:

Once again Stat predicts the races 1 event early.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Indeed, BBC spoilered me though. I watched up to 30k to go on my break at work, then thought I would save the rest for tomorrow breakfast. :censored:

That's the typical media only interested when it's one of 'our boys' bollox unfortunately. Sorry it caught you out.

It's tough for me not to mention who popped up third on the podium :whistle:

Once again Stat predicts the races 1 event early.

One race early...you sure?

Anyway, if you know what's good for you you'll be taking my mate Bozic for Sunday. He's 80/1 again for his favourite race of the season :) Sam Bennett is a steal at 50/1 too.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That's the typical media only interested when it's one of 'our boys' bollox unfortunately. Sorry it caught you out.

I know, still will probably watch it anyway. Three out of four Belgian races for our boys though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One race early...you sure?

Anyway, if you know what's good for you you'll be taking my mate Bozic for Sunday. He's 80/1 again for his favourite race of the season :) Sam Bennett is a steal at 50/1 too.
Oh yes you're quite right in my befuddled state I forgot Kuurne & Dawes Doors Diana Dors, from this years Belgium races.
I guess I'm going to have to retract now :down:

Even I've noticed both of those riders seem to be going well.
I'd have Bennett over Bozic, but I'll not be betting, so you've got an even better chance now.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i saw the aftermath of an accident this morning involving 2 bikes and a car, that's what it looked like. it was at the bottom of woodland drive near the mini roundabout adjacent hove park. hopefully they are all okay. ambulance was there and everything.

D

Deleted member 22389

A259 from Peacehaven to Newhaven they are finally sorting out a proper cycle path. Anyone who has tried to ride that space before will remember it is a horrible surface to ride on riddles with holes. It also means you won't have to use the road either which as you know is becoming dangerous.

The one I am most looking forward to completion is the Newhaven to Lewes, which is long overdue, again it means you won't hopefully have to touch the C7.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
News (to me anyway) Cancellara out for most of season after fall yesterday (didn't see it in highlights) so no more spring classics for him and Victoria Pendleton has taken up horse riding and hopes to compete at next years Cheltenham Festival !

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Did my first ever 10 mile TT today. Wasn't really too sure what to expect but am happy with my time of 26:20 (using TT bike), especially given the weather. The ground was wet and there were 3 roundabouts where you turned back on yourself which were really slippy. It was also quite windy and started to rain in the last few miles.Think I paced it pretty well, and possibly had a tiny negative split. The danger is now that I have a time to beat I'll probably push too hard too early and blow up!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did my first ever 10 mile TT today. Wasn't really too sure what to expect but am happy with my time of 26:20 (using TT bike), especially given the weather. The ground was wet and there were 3 roundabouts where you turned back on yourself which were really slippy. It was also quite windy and started to rain in the last few miles.Think I paced it pretty well, and possibly had a tiny negative split. The danger is now that I have a time to beat I'll probably push too hard too early and blow up!
Well done that's brilliant.
I'm no expert but anytime that's just a couple of minutes within a Glanders training ride would be plenty good enough for me.

10 mile TT has to be the ultimate slave to course and conditions.
Neither of today's sound ideal, I bet you'll be able to knock a decent chunk from today, when conditions are better.
Then you'll have set the most frustrating time EVER.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That's a good effort for a first 10 in, what must have been, pretty tough conditions. Knock a couple of minutes of that for a still, warm summer evening!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Evening geeks, quick Q? What are the thoughts-experiences of computers on rides? I'm taking me blower with me n using strava but with new bike inevitable I'm wondering whether it is worth investing?
I would say so. Makes things so easy and much better than the phone.

Good deals around on garmin 500 at the moment, although I find Bluetooth very useful for instantly syncing the rides.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Evening geeks, quick Q? What are the thoughts-experiences of computers on rides? I'm taking me blower with me n using strava but with new bike inevitable I'm wondering whether it is worth investing?

The problem with using the phone is that the battery doesn't always last on long rides. So you haven't done the last bit.

I've got a Garmin 200 which I find useful, and it didn't break the bank.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would be lost without mine.
There's 2 schools of thought Garmin or something else.

Garmin is the market leader and as usual that comes at a premium.
But with that comes a pretty much bomb and idiot proof piece of kit.
If I were you I'd 'over-spec', the 810 is about £230, the 1000 more or there are cheaper versions.
They do crop up second hand but sell quickly with a pretty high mark up.

1066 runs something else so he'll give you the lowdown on those.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here