Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Some fantastic efforts this week already. :bowdown: Unfortunately I've got the arse end of the weather this week, well I thought I'd get my excuses in early. :whistle::D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some fantastic efforts this week already. :bowdown: Unfortunately I've got the arse end of the weather this week, well I thought I'd get my excuses in early. :whistle::D
As you say it's just a bit of fun, so slipping down the leader board isn't a problem, is it?

If it helps I'm not expecting any more big (by my standards) weeks, for a little while.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
As you say it's just a bit of fun, so slipping down the leader board isn't a problem, is it?

If it helps I'm not expecting any more big (by my standards) weeks, for a little while.

Oh of course it's just fun :wink: I like the look of that route to Eartham and Duncton, might have to give that a go soon.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

To get my mug shot on the leader-board this week is going to require a near PB in distance. Not saying I'm all that, but we are in February for Cliff's sake.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh of course it's just fun :wink: I like the look of that route to Eartham and Duncton, might have to give that a go soon.
What my ride on Monday?
After going through Eartham we took the second left.
If you took the first left and kept left through Slindon you'll end up on the A29 heading up to Whiteways.

Just have your wits about you before the 29, it's a sharp descent on a rough road.
It's not a problem just forewarned etc.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What my ride on Monday?
After going through Eartham we took the second left.
If you took the first left and kept left through Slindon you'll end up on the A29 heading up to Whiteways.

Just have your wits about you before the 29, it's a sharp descent on a rough road.
It's not a problem just forewarned etc.

I'd do it from climbing out of Arundel then dropping down to Slindon, then heading north to Duncton and looping back home via storrington. :thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
To get my mug shot on the leader-board this week is going to require a near PB in distance. Not saying I'm all that, but we are in February for Cliff's sake.

If you're a Mon- Fri. Saturdays the only dry day. A quickly before footie unless you like riding in the rain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd do it from climbing out of Arundel then dropping down to Slindon, then heading north to Duncton and looping back home via storrington. :thumbsup:
Ah I see.

Coming down the A29 you'll either need Baycombe Lane (zoom in, the road I was talking about) or School Hill either lead you to Top Rd, which you stay on to the Britten's Lane T-junction, turning right straight onto a climb.
So really straight forward.

Strava says you've never been to Duncton before.
It's a lovely straight smooth descent, with 2 serious bends at the bottom, so don't get carried away going down.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Be sure to regularly clean your headset, people. I forgot for a while...the bearings seized, and have gouged a deep groove into my fork stem. This could have given way at any time, and I'd have been left collecting teeth from tarmac.

As it is, I now have to fork out (!) for a new front fork - and we are talking £225...and that's with a 10% discount.

I'm a little bit miffed, if truth be told.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What does that involve then?

Well, strange that you should ask that, as I sort of knew, but lack of confidence was my downfall. It was always - "I'll find out how to do it next week".

I can do it now - did my winter bike today - but I'm f***ed if I can explain it on here - but there are videos on youtube.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be sure to regularly clean your headset, people. I forgot for a while...the bearings seized, and have gouged a deep groove into my fork stem. This could have given way at any time, and I'd have been left collecting teeth from tarmac.

As it is, I now have to fork out (!) for a new front fork - and we are talking £225...and that's with a 10% discount.

I'm a little bit miffed, if truth be told.
Ouch blimey that's tough, still as you say it could have been worse.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Well, strange that you should ask that, as I sort of knew, but lack of confidence was my downfall. It was always - "I'll find out how to do it next week".

I can do it now - did my winter bike today - but I'm f***ed if I can explain it on here - but there are videos on youtube.
Gcn have a good series of maintenance videos. I watched the headset one as the last time I did it was before ahead sets on road bikes!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

So I guess a £40 service for My bike is a bargain rather than tackling Myself ? That includes fitting new bar tape.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So I guess a £40 service for My bike is a bargain rather than tackling Myself ? That includes fitting new bar tape.
I'd pay £400 to have my bar tape done properly.
Just don't tell my LBS man.

Doing the headset is my 'therapy' job.
My bearings are loose so I'm sat there with tweezers replacing each one of the 30 odd tiny bearings individually back into the cups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here