Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't really remember Degenkolb as an elite sprinter, more a 'best of the rest' rider.
He may well have been having some chin stroking moments v Cav, and then thought 'feck this' when Kittel appeared.

Cav's top 20 yesterday would seem to suggest MSR is a serious date in his calendar.

I enjoyed watching Cav scream at his team, only to see Renshaw roll up beside him and gently tell Cav to calm down.
If Renshaw is your barometer of calm, you're an angry little man. :lol:

This morning I am 'bicycle repairman', although I'll be jiggered if I can get what's left of the bearings off my crank.
Any tips?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Also Degenkolbs breakthrough was in the 2011 Dauphine, with at least one win on a short uphill dig. Yes, it was steep yesterday but it was only 1km the entire climb and only really 300m of steep stuff. I think we will see him winning more of this sort of stage in the future.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Also Degenkolbs breakthrough was in the 2011 Dauphine, with at least one win on a short uphill dig. Yes, it was steep yesterday but it was only 1km the entire climb and only really 300m of steep stuff. I think we will see him winning more of this sort of stage in the future.
True. Unfortunately for him, he's no cav/kittel on the flat, no sagan in these ones and no valverde on the longer/steeper stuff and not quite there at the end in the northern classics. He seems to clean up in the lumpy vueltas when no sprinters bother turning up!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was beginning to wonder if Cav was FINNISH seeing as how Kittel was able to take him at will last season.

Anyway, Fat Bikes. Not sure if there's a really place for them in rural England but I'd love to have a go one one. Pumping up after a puncture must be a work out on its own though. Anyone been on one?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I was beginning to wonder if Cav was FINNISH seeing as how Kittel was able to take him at will last season.

Anyway, Fat Bikes. Not sure if there's a really place for them in rural England but I'd love to have a go one one. Pumping up after a puncture must be a work out on its own though. Anyone been on one?

I wouldn't read too much in to Cav beating Viviani and Guardini to win stages, you would expect him to beat those guys every time. More worrying are the defeats to Gaviria in Argentina, I guess we will see later in the season but my prediction is Cav to go well in MSR and get beaten by Kittel and Greipel more often than not in the grand tours.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
True. Unfortunately for him, he's no cav/kittel on the flat, no sagan in these ones and no valverde on the longer/steeper stuff and not quite there at the end in the northern classics. He seems to clean up in the lumpy vueltas when no sprinters bother turning up!

Very true, he is a bit like EBH in that regard, really good at quite a few things, but not good enough at any of them to consistently win stages. Still 35 pro wins by the age of 26 is pretty impressive.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Very true, he is a bit like EBH in that regard, really good at quite a few things, but not good enough at any of them to consistently win stages. Still 35 pro wins by the age of 26 is pretty impressive.
Yes, degenkolb is still a cut above all but the very top guys.

I think cav will be much more canny this year as he knows he can't win a straight shoot out with kittel.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Forgot to post this earlier in the week, can anyone beat these stats from my Monday commute?

e4e8578983e5dee1b4ab3a3a227105e7.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Forgot to post this earlier in the week, can anyone beat these stats from my Monday commute?

e4e8578983e5dee1b4ab3a3a227105e7.jpg

Pah! No wind chill figures. Means nothing :wink:

Only two brave souls on last nights club run. Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet or anything :angel:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lizzie Armitstead going great guns in Qatar. Men's race starts today.

Opened up my bets for the season with 3 eggs in a sprint basket. Guardini 16/1, Kristoff 20/1 & Haussler 33/1.

Should be an exciting race this year as Wiggins is apparently targeting it as prep for PR, and so will be going head to head with the Steppers and Boonen in particular. Add Sagan into the mix and it could be a real 'classic' :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Opened up my bets for the season with 3 eggs in a sprint basket. Guardini 16/1, Kristoff 20/1 & Haussler 33/1.

Should be an exciting race this year as Wiggins is apparently targeting it as prep for PR, and so will be going head to head with the Steppers and Boonen in particular. Add Sagan into the mix and it could be a real 'classic' :)

Are there TV highlights, or is it just a live stream on bein, or whatever it's called?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's some live streaming on Bien coming up but still showing women's highlights so far and now last year's men's highlights. No doubt there'll be highlights up later.

http://www.sportingvideo.tv/20150208/vv54d6c57692cda0.33731195-999829.html

Looks like the steppers have split the peloton, but Sagan and Kristoff are in the first group. Not sure on Haussler. Kristoff and Haussler were my echelon insurance bets in case it doesn't go to a bunch sprint for the likes of Guardini. Not sure where Haussler is at the mo, or Wiggo for that matter (Boonen of course is in the lead group).

Edit: Live ticker here: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_wielrennen/Comp_Ronde_van_Qatar_2015/1.2233038

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can't put this morning's ride on Strava because my laptop has shat itself and I'm on a non USB device.

Another caning. Never emptied 2 bottles on a winter ride before. We swapped bikes for a few 100m. Me on a 'fall over the bars' Trek. Felt a bit 'Bambi on ice' at first, but straight into the knees into forearm position. Liked it. Maybe I should have got that Giant.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't put this morning's ride on Strava because my laptop has shat itself and I'm on a non USB device.

Another caning. Never emptied 2 bottles on a winter ride before. We swapped bikes for a few 100m. Me on a 'fall over the bars' Trek. Felt a bit 'Bambi on ice' at first, but straight into the knees into forearm position. Liked it. Maybe I should have got that Giant.

Good stuff Moto. Hope your laptop gets sorted and you can upload the ride. Think you and me started from a similar base and now we seem to be improving and enjoying our rides more and more. I could only squeeze in a short quick ride today but that gave me licence to go for it, even with Chick Hill near the end followed by more climbing, and that's exactly what I did. Solo today but this club riding lark has raised my game no end and I'm really enjoying pushing myself at every opportunity.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I did about 55 miles but the last 10 were running on vapours. Moved a cleat back after months of putting it off for a better feel. Knee not impressed. Hope the laptop is mendable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

So after yesterday's neat and tidy betting failure with my trio finishing 7th,8th & 9th, it now appears I actually started this seasons campaign just a day too early :facepalm:

Oh well, win some lose some I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here