Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
That'll be Quest Adventure.

Is the bloke in there still batpooh crazy?

Once he went so OTT talking about a pedal I thought he was going to pleasure himself with it...

...I've not been back.

Hargroves (Chichester) have a celeste Intenso - veloce in your size.
It'll save buying a whole new wardrobe!!

Oh and my mate enjoyed his Wilier.

Yeah he's still there. Fancied something different as last two bikes have been Bianchi. On the plus side I'll have to get a whole new wardrobe. I always wanted to say that to My wife. I now understand why she has to buy a new outfit every time we go out. I must be getting in touch with My feminine side.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm continuing my quest for the perfect saddle and just rode on a Romin Evo Expert tonight (swapped it for my Antares). I'm now totally confused by the initial results.

Started out like I was riding on thin air and I was over the moon. A few miles in and it started to bite, not unlike the Antares would, but about 40 miles too early! - not good.

Get out the saddle to punch up a short steep climb and when I sit back down it's like air again, pain free and floating for a few more miles.

3/4 of the way up the long seated drag that I knew would really test it out and I'm back to pain like I've done 40 odd miles rather than less than 10!

Again, out of the saddle briefly to finish off the long drag and the pain goes. Rest of the flat and downhill ride home is back to like floating on air.

No middle ground with this saddle for me. Either painful and numb or floating on air. Very strange.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm continuing my quest for the perfect saddle and just rode on a Romin Evo Expert tonight (swapped it for my Antares). I'm now totally confused by the initial results.

Started out like I was riding on thin air and I was over the moon. A few miles in and it started to bite, not unlike the Antares would, but about 40 miles too early! - not good.

Get out the saddle to punch up a short steep climb and when I sit back down it's like air again, pain free and floating for a few more miles.

3/4 of the way up the long seated drag that I knew would really test it out and I'm back to pain like I've done 40 odd miles rather than less than 10!

Again, out of the saddle briefly to finish off the long drag and the pain goes. Rest of the flat and downhill ride home is back to like floating on air.

No middle ground with this saddle for me. Either painful and numb or floating on air. Very strange.

Have you tried this one yet?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/blog/mysterious-appeal-oddly-shaped-saddle-152837

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

My first thought was 'are you over thinking it'?

After all it's an unnatural sitting position, on an unnatural seat, with the rest of your body also out of kilter.
TBH if I'm not moaning and groaning, after a proper ride, I assume I've taken it easy.
But after a bath, (assuming I've earned it instead of a shower) a face full of food, and some down time everything is back to 'normal'.

Does the pain stop you from riding the next day?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Chuckle-some doping question reply here -

Loving Kwia's delayed reaction. Sure he understood it the minute Cav said it but tried to keep a straight face until he looked over at someone off camera who was already probably in stitches. :lolol:

Classic Cav!

My first thought was 'are you over thinking it'?

After all it's an unnatural sitting position, on an unnatural seat, with the rest of your body also out of kilter.
TBH if I'm not moaning and groaning, after a proper ride, I assume I've taken it easy.
But after a bath, (assuming I've earned it instead of a shower) a face full of food, and some down time everything is back to 'normal'.

Does the pain stop you from riding the next day?

And my first thought was - welcome to SB's little book of euphemisms.

No 17. Man up/ stop complaining. :rolleyes:

I do accept that a road bike isn't exactly meant to be comfy, but at the same time I do believe there's a saddle with each persons name on it where you can get up to the 50 mile mark and still feel nearly as comfy in that area as when you first set off - I still haven't found that particular saddle but I'm going to keep searching until I do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And my first thought was - welcome to SB's little book of euphemisms.

No 17. Man up/ stop complaining. :rolleyes:

I do accept that a road bike isn't exactly meant to be comfy, but at the same time I do believe there's a saddle with each persons name on it where you can get up to the 50 mile mark and still feel nearly as comfy in that area as when you first set off - I still haven't found that particular saddle but I'm going to keep searching until I do.
Ah, now then, now then, I wasn't quite going for that.
Lets face it I'm not shy when it comes to throwing the odd 'man up' around the place.

I've ridden some bikes/saddles that would have turned my spine to powder if I'd gone another inch.
So your quest is both a valid and noble one.

I was just wondering if in your search for the holy grail of saddles, you'd thought yourself out of cycling nirvana.

It's either that or you have an odd shaped bum :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ah, now then, now then, I wasn't quite going for that.
Lets face it I'm not shy when it comes to throwing the odd 'man up' around the place.

I've ridden some bikes/saddles that would have turned my spine to powder if I'd gone another inch.
So your quest is both a valid and noble one.

I was just wondering if in your search for the holy grail of saddles, you'd thought yourself out of cycling nirvana.

It's either that or you have an odd shaped bum :lol:

To be honest, all the saddles I've tried, bar an Arione, have been good for say 30 miles or so. But move into the 40 miles and above and I get a numbness that really starts to spoil my enjoyment. I get through the ride and can ride the next day if need be (it's the legs that ache for the longest afterwards, which is how it should be) but I'm convinced I should be able to get beyond 50 miles and only have slight saddle discomfort, or even none at all, instead of a lot of numbness.

So far I've tried a Selle Italia Flite gel, Antares, Aliante and now a Romin Evo Expert. This Romin actually felt ok today and I'll see how it goes on a longer ride tomorrow. It'd be great if it turns out to be the one, but if not then I've an inkling that one of the following might be THE saddle for me - Aliante vs, Charge Spoon or 155mm Romin Evo Expert/Pro rather than this 143mm version. Trouble is it's not only getting the right model that matters but getting the right angle as well, so it's a long drawn out process of elimination. Fortunately I do enjoy the tinkering process.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh how I enjoyed cycling the mile to work on 23mm slick tyres on snow.

Made all the more amusing when listening to one of the nimrods' I work with bleat on about being late because he didn't feel safe to drive.

Tool.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Oh how I enjoyed cycling the mile to work on 23mm slick tyres on snow.

Made all the more amusing when listening to one of the nimrods' I work with bleat on about being late because he didn't feel safe to drive.

Tool.

Surely you're asking for trouble riding in these conditions on these roads?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely you're asking for trouble riding in these conditions on these roads?
We only had about an inch, max, nothing frozen, it was all gone by 9.
I just needed to be careful, after all I was only going to work.
'to scared to drive' was frankly pathetic.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
We only had about an inch, max, nothing frozen, it was all gone by 9.
I just needed to be careful, after all I was only going to work.
'to scared to drive' was frankly pathetic.
Not even a dusting here.

Reminds me of when I lived in London. I cycled through proper snow to get to work, it was quite hairy and bloody cold.....only about 3 of us turned up (out of 8 or so)!

Any excuse.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Forecast for me is 0 all night and 1 at 7. I'll have a look but I need snookers to get out I reckon.

Anyway, went to my LBS today. Chatting with one of the guys and he bigged up the Synaes and Roubaixes but was not so keen on the Bianchis. Said they have 8 year old components which get ever harder to replace. Said if they'd get that sorted, they'd be away with it. Money off the clothing though. Nice. Oh, tried a Mojito on again. Want one. Badly. "You have expensive tastes" was the comment.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Forecast for me is 0 all night and 1 at 7. I'll have a look but I need snookers to get out I reckon.

Anyway, went to my LBS today. Chatting with one of the guys and he bigged up the Synaes and Roubaixes but was not so keen on the Bianchis. Said they have 8 year old components which get ever harder to replace. Said if they'd get that sorted, they'd be away with it. Money off the clothing though. Nice. Oh, tried a Mojito on again. Want one. Badly. "You have expensive tastes" was the comment.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't understand a word of that. What's a mojito?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm ashamed to say I didn't understand a word of that. What's a mojito?
That's a relief.

I know all the words, but none of the context.

Moto's musings are a thing of beauty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here