Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Much to my surprise I'm in Basingstoke waiting for the sportive off.
First impressions are there's no sign of any winter hacks, or mudguards!!

Anyone would think it was July not December.

Oh and I include myself in that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Much to my surprise I'm in Basingstoke waiting for the sportive off.
First impressions are there's no sign of any winter hacks, or mudguards!!

Anyone would think it was July not December.

Oh and I include myself in that.

Good luck, Stat. Enjoy.

I just looked out of the window. It looks horrible.

So I'm going back to bed. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good luck, Stat. Enjoy.

I just looked out of the window. It looks horrible.

So I'm going back to bed. :)
Well that was fun, but grim enough at the start to make me think bed was the better option
The event had a cross route tagged on, somehow I managed to be filthier than the off roaders'.

The M3 corridor was considerably more rural and rustic that I thought.
I passed more stables and riding schools than cars passed me, on much better quality roads than Sussex.

I realised very quickly its been a long long time since I'd ridden on roads I didn't know like the back of my hand.
That certainly added an element of squeaky bum while thundering down wet leafy roads approaching blind bends.
I was fortunate to share half the route with a local fella who hadn't ridden since LeJoG in September, making for some interesting conversations.

All in all a quality day out even though I wasn't 100%.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well that was fun, but grim enough at the start to make me think bed was the better option
The event had a cross route tagged on, somehow I managed to be filthier than the off roaders'.

The M3 corridor was considerably more rural and rustic that I thought.
I passed more stables and riding schools than cars passed me, on much better quality roads than Sussex.

I realised very quickly its been a long long time since I'd ridden on roads I didn't know like the back of my hand.
That certainly added an element of squeaky bum while thundering down wet leafy roads approaching blind bends.
I was fortunate to share half the route with a local fella who hadn't ridden since LeJoG in September, making for some interesting conversations.

All in all a quality day out even though I wasn't 100%.

Nice ride there SB :thumbsup: Profile looks suitably lumpy but without any big killer hills. I take your point about riding unfamiliar roads. I really enjoyed doing that the other week in Kent. In fact, I'm tempted to start plotting routes on the Bryton out of my normal range and drive the car to start the odd ride much further afield.

In other news. Remember that red handlebar tape I was considering? Well, consider it done :) On the plus side, at least the info I got from Skipper on the other thread means you don't have to suffer full page photos anymore.

close up.jpg
Verenti.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How did I know those pics would be appearing soon.
Very nice, it looks like you've done a pro job, chapeau.

Yeah the ride was certainly challenging, there was no time to just sit tight, and recuperate.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How did I know those pics would be appearing soon.
Very nice, it looks like you've done a pro job, chapeau.

Yeah the ride was certainly challenging, there was no time to just sit tight, and recuperate.

Funny thing is, I probably could have stuck full page jobbies up on here, but you might have needed sunglasses to view them :lol: The question genuinely was for elsewhere that is less forgiving on sizing. I'm curious now to see how long this colour takes to show the dirt, only ever having had black before. Mind you, I suppose I'll actually have to get out on the bike regularly for that to happen :blush: You, on the other hand, seem to have a new lease of life these days, as today has shown. Nice work!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Funny thing is, I probably could have stuck full page jobbies up on here, but you might have needed sunglasses to view them :lol: The question genuinely was for elsewhere that is less forgiving on sizing. I'm curious now to see how long this colour takes to show the dirt, only ever having had black before. Mind you, I suppose I'll actually have to get out on the bike regularly for that to happen :blush: You, on the other hand, seem to have a new lease of life these days, as today has shown. Nice work!

Now it's all about the tyres. Vittoria Rubino Pros have some very nice ones with red piping!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Now it's all about the tyres. Vittoria Rubino Pros have some very nice ones with red piping!

Nope, the handlebar tape was the limit, and I'm not entirely convinced that even works to be honest. The tyres will always remain black for this one.

I do have tyres with blue piping on the other bike, but that's a bit of a mish mash anyway in terms of colours, just about an Italian theme with that one.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Haven't got time for a long time now but have been meaning to mention. ESCC are gradually doing their best to make the roads of the county uncyclable by replacing the old smooth surfaces with loose gravel.

I think we need to mount some sort of campaign against this crap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nope, the handlebar tape was the limit, and I'm not entirely convinced that even works to be honest. The tyres will always remain black for this one.

I do have tyres with blue piping on the other bike, but that's a bit of a mish mash anyway in terms of colours, just about an Italian theme with that one.
Wooow back down there sparkie.

At the start of the season I had the good sense to listen to Pogue re tyres.
Having previous ridden Conti's and then my must have tyre Michelin Pro Race, I swapped to Rubino's.

They are easily the best tyres I have ridden on.
Incredibly grippy without compromising rolling resistance.

They were great all summer and have put up with some considerably punishment so far this winter.

As and when you next need tyres, you need to be listening to Pogue, at that point why wouldn't you buy the red ones.

Haven't got time for a long time now but have been meaning to mention. ESCC are gradually doing their best to make the roads of the county uncyclable by replacing the old smooth surfaces with loose gravel.

That is good news.
It must mean WSCC has released it's strangle hold on the gravel market.

It's amazing how much they ruin the road.
It makes all potholes worse, the road is no longer smooth, and is completely dead.

It's the only thing pro's consistently moan about when cycling in the UK.

There's a mini roundabout at the end of my road.
Left is 1/2 a mile of newly laid chippings.
Right 1/2 a mile of newly laid tarmac (don't ask, I have no idea)

The difference is stone age v 22nd century.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

There is an 'official' petition to government on 'surface dressing'. It was started by motorcyclists, who also find the 'new' surfaces very dangerous. But I think a lot of cyclists have also signed:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67408

It is also very common is Staffordshire.

Last edited:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Surrey Hills have been using this stuff for a year or so. They are particularly keen to put it on a hill. The good news is it falls off the hill fairly soon. The less good news is it falls to the bottom of the hill and congregates in gravelly piles - then it's my turn to fall off the hill!

Awful stuff, too slippy and hurts when you rub your legs on it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is an 'official' petition to government on 'surface dressing'. It was started by motorcyclists, who also find the 'new' surfaces very dangerous. But I think a lot of cyclists have also signed:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67408

It is also very common is Staffordshire.
Thanks for that. A disappointing number of signatures (though I don't know whether these things actually make any difference anyway). Is it something we could put to the broader NSC audience?

It's ruined a number of my favourite roads, such as the hill up to Telscombe Village, the lane from Ripe to Laughton, the road from Lewes to Ringmer and the road through Isfield.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm planning to write a long and whingey letter to the council(s) and I hope I won't be the only one.

Even when there are no longer any loose stones (after a few years) the drag on these roads is appalling compared to how they used to be. If only we had roads like France.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wooow back down there sparkie.

At the start of the season I had the good sense to listen to Pogue re tyres.
Having previous ridden Conti's and then my must have tyre Michelin Pro Race, I swapped to Rubino's.

They are easily the best tyres I have ridden on.
Incredibly grippy without compromising rolling resistance.

They were great all summer and have put up with some considerably punishment so far this winter.

As and when you next need tyres, you need to be listening to Pogue, at that point why wouldn't you buy the red ones.

Steady on! At what point did I dismiss Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres as an option?

All I dismissed was the idea of tyres, of whatever make or model, with red piping for this bike. As and when I do need new tyres for the Verenti I'll be doing my usual research, which will include listening to what the geeks have to say. But one thing is for certain...the tyres will remain all black for this bike because the splashes of red have now reached their absolute limit. Next you'll be recommending red cabling :rolleyes:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm planning to write a long and whingey letter to the council(s) and I hope I won't be the only one.

Even when there are no longer any loose stones (after a few years) the drag on these roads is appalling compared to how they used to be. If only we had roads like France.

I always thought roads in France were known for their heavy going. Maybe I got that wrong? Remember, what you see for the TdF is usually especially laid just for the occasion.

The council used these chippings you're talking about on a section of The Ridge here. Horrible surface, and when first put down it was pretty dangerous too. It's bedded in now so not dangerous anymore, but still not nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here