Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, definitely no jogging!!!! Very bad for your cycling legs, even if you're used to it.

What's that old pro cycling quote about looking after the legs when not on the bike?...

Something along the lines of?...

"Don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lay down".

Not sure whose quote it was originally. One of the old timers quoted it again this season, but I can't remember who and when. Might have been Mick Rogers at either the Giro or Tdf.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

So it looks like you're set on USB rechargeable. Good choice I'd say in your situation.

That front light looks to be spot on, both price wise for a good quality light, and plenty of power for your needs that will still suffice should you encounter any unlit areas and are not hurtling along.

To be honest, I think you can find better options in terms of price for a rear light. Even with good side visibility, you should be able to get cheaper than that and still have a good light. Alternatively do as IL suggests and get the smart lunar r2 that I recommended and some cheap fit anywhere type side lights like the knogs http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-frog-strobe-rear-light/ That does mean no usb option for the rears though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION].

I'm just back from my wettest and darkest ride with full mudguards on my bike.
The bottom third of my top and my backside were, amazingly, bone dry.

It was also the first ride out for my neoprene overshoes, this winter.
Part of the reason for being so late was I'd forgotten it takes a feckin age to get the buggers on!!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Part of the reason for being so late was I'd forgotten it takes a feckin age to get the buggers on!!

Wore mine for the first time this year. Cosy toes. Forgotten how warm they keep your feet.:thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Nice work SB.

My backside wasn't soaked on yesterday's ride, the ride was torturous purely because I was struggling physically. But I could certainly see how full mudguards would have come into their own on some of those muddy lanes.

As for overshoes. I already ordered the Endura ones earlier this evening that PM recommended. £19.95 from Ribble :thumbsup:

Edit: Forgot to mention. I got XL rather than L as loads of reviews said they come up small and can be a bugger to get on.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yeah, it was very, very wet on the way home today. Absolutely pissing it down.

I have fixed mudguards to my winter bike, and like you, bone dry arse! Marvellous.

The trick with the overshoes (apart from getting the right size) is to leave them 'sort-of-on' once you have put them on. That way it's easier next time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, it was very, very wet on the way home today. Absolutely pissing it down.

I have fixed mudguards to my winter bike, and like you, bone dry arse! Marvellous.

The trick with the overshoes (apart from getting the right size) is to leave them 'sort-of-on' once you have put them on. That way it's easier next time.

My feet were soaked when I got home from work as it chucked it down the entire short journey. Hence straight onto ordering the overshoes this evening. Everywhere else was dry though as the waterproof coat and trousers did their job. Think I'll still hold out on full mudguards, despite all the evidence in favour.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My feet were soaked when I got home from work as it chucked it down the entire short journey. Hence straight onto ordering the overshoes this evening. Everywhere else was dry though as the waterproof coat and trousers did their job. Think I'll still hold out on full mudguards, despite all the evidence in favour.

I held out for years. This is the first year that I have put them on. It's a revelation. I love them.

Enjoy your overshoes!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's so odd how we've come to the same conclusion at the same time.

I even had the mudguards, unused in the shed.
Before this winter had anyone asked I'd have probably given them away.

Not any more, I freakin love these bad boys.
So simple and easy to use, I swap them from bikes in seconds.
Mine are just a little wider than CrudCatchers which appears to be no bad thing.
I don't know they are there, when riding.

Judging by your comment 1066 I probably should have got xl overshoes.
I think you'll be pleased with the buy.

I might as well move Strava here.
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION], Houghton Hill climb is comfortably the second toughest ascent to Whiteways.
It still has a couple of 'spiky' parts to the climb but considerably more single figure ascending, esp at the top.

The approach from the west, Fairmilebottom (Feelmybottom), is the easiest.
Arundel Hill, from the south (Pogue was very complimentary and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] is 10 bloody seconds quicker than me!!) is next.
With Houghton and then Bury Hill, from the North being the toughest ascent.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just had my first go using the Park Tool CM 5.2 chain cleaner tonight.

Blimey! It works amazingly well. Very quick and easy to use. I've never had a chain so clean!

A nice touch is the magnet at the bottom that attracts any metal filings that come off in the cleaning process and stops them going round and round in the brushes as they clean.

Thoroughly recommend this tool if like me you've just been using wet wipes and the occasional going over with an old toothbrush.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] were you asking about Houghton as a way of checking out some new routes?

If so, a good way to extend your ride west would be:-

Houghton - FeelmyBottom - cut across the A29 to Slindon - Eartham - A285 north to Duncton - on to A283 right turn to Fittleworth - back to Pulborough.

You can do the whole lot 'cross country' but I wouldn't recommend that this time of year.
As it is that ride is fairly regular to me, it's rolling with a few little testers for good measure.
With the added bonus that even though they are A roads they aren't busy enough for traffic to be an issue.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] were you asking about Houghton as a way of checking out some new routes?

If so, a good way to extend your ride west would be:-

Houghton - FeelmyBottom - cut across the A29 to Slindon - Eartham - A285 north to Duncton - on to A283 right turn to Fittleworth - back to Pulborough.

You can do the whole lot 'cross country' but I wouldn't recommend that this time of year.
As it is that ride is fairly regular to me, it's rolling with a few little testers for good measure.
With the added bonus that even though they are A roads they aren't busy enough for traffic to be an issue.

Yes matey seen some of the routes you've done further west and thought about venturing out that way. Might wait till conditions dry a little. Bad enough riding routes I know ATM. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes matey seen some of the routes you've done further west and thought about venturing out that way. Might wait till conditions dry a little. Bad enough riding routes I know ATM. :thumbsup:

Cool, that's a good route for new roads, because as and when you need to turn, you just turn right, and up hill!!.
(As said there are cross country routes but that'll be for the Summer)

The only 2 areas worthy of extra consideration are:-

Slindon - Coming down off Whiteways, you'll see a long wall on the right.
This wall ends at a gatehouse, just as the road begins to rise, on a left turning bend.
At this point, still on the right, there is a single track road, which you need to take, pretty much straight on.
So you've just started going up hill, on a bend, and you need to cross the A29.
It's nowhere need as bad as it sounds, none of us have ever had a problem, it could just be easier!!

Oh and that track is the steepest part of the ride, double digit % for a couple of hundred yards.

In Slindon just keep turning right, past the college and down a little drop into the countryside.

Duncton Hill - It's a lovely, wide, new surfaced, straight, 10% descent.
With a sharp enough 180 degree bend at the bottom.
You're likely to be up around 40+ mph, and that's too fast for the turn at the bottom, esp for a newbie.
Again you'll be fine, it really isn't a problem, this is just the equivalent of me shouting 'careful at the bottom' if we were riding together.
The descent is easy to get carried away with.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
TURBO TRAINER recommendations?

All, I am looking to source a reasonable turbo trainer for the winter evenings whilst trying to maintain my efforts accumulated through the Summer months. As a relative newbie to this cycling game, I'm not too sure where to start. They all look pretty similar to me (the magnetic ones). I have a max budget around £150 - £160 so am happy to consider 2nd hand as well (if you know of any available!)

Any advice most welcome...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
TURBO TRAINER recommendations?

All, I am looking to source a reasonable turbo trainer for the winter evenings whilst trying to maintain my efforts accumulated through the Summer months. As a relative newbie to this cycling game, I'm not too sure where to start. They all look pretty similar to me (the magnetic ones). I have a max budget around £150 - £160 so am happy to consider 2nd hand as well (if you know of any available!)

Any advice most welcome...

I got a Turbo last year. It's pretty good, if basic. Elite-it.com - it's called the Crono.

One thing it did was to encourage me to go out on my bike in shitty weather. Or to the gym.

It really is hard to enjoy a Turbo Trainer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here