Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bought a garmin edge 200 and used it for the first time today. My question is; is there a point to Garmin connect? Is it better to just upload rides straight to strava?

No point to Garmin Connect, as nobody ever connects. However, I have never found a way to upload rides from my Garmin without going through Garmin Connect.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Going to disappoint you again Pogue, not only do I have a cateye bike computer I use My iphone to record rides onto Strava. :(

Not disappointed at all, my musical chum!

I have a Garmin, and use it like I used to use my cateye. Only when my Samsung Galaxy runs out of charge do I use it to connect to Strava - through Garmin Connect, which I find a pain in the arse every time.

Nearly all of my rides are uploaded straight to Strava from the Samsung.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unsurprisingly I'm not clued up on this.

I used to log my rides on Connect, before I got into Strava.
Since then I've picked up Garmin Express.

After a ride I now plug my unit into my computer and by the time I've had a shower the ride is logged on Strava and my unit has been cleared.

I have no idea which element does what, but it couldn't be easier.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Think you're correct SB, Garmin Express runs in the background and will upload your ride to Garmin Connect as soon as the device is connected, and now will also send it over to Strava.

Now that they have the link between Garmin Connect and Strava, it's worth setting up since it's makes uploading even less effort. Whereas beforehand it was a bit of a waste of time since no one used it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Think you're correct SB, Garmin Express runs in the background and will upload your ride to Garmin Connect as soon as the device is connected, and now will also send it over to Strava.

Now that they have the link between Garmin Connect and Strava, it's worth setting up since it's makes uploading even less effort. Whereas beforehand it was a bit of a waste of time since no one used it.

Unsurprisingly I'm not clued up on this.

I used to log my rides on Connect, before I got into Strava.
Since then I've picked up Garmin Express.

After a ride I now plug my unit into my computer and by the time I've had a shower the ride is logged on Strava and my unit has been cleared.

I have no idea which element does what, but it couldn't be easier.

Not disappointed at all, my musical chum!

I have a Garmin, and use it like I used to use my cateye. Only when my Samsung Galaxy runs out of charge do I use it to connect to Strava - through Garmin Connect, which I find a pain in the arse every time.

Nearly all of my rides are uploaded straight to Strava from the Samsung.

Yeah but, download to Connect and pop over to Strava where its waiting for you.

Even better with the 510/810/1000 - bluetooth means it uploads via connect on the phone then syncs to strava. I never plug the garmin in to the computer!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've got the "one tap for strava" app now, which is quite handy. Just tap it and it starts a new ride recording without going into Strava.

Going to be a while before I can afford a Garmin Edge, although the 200 looks decent value at £80?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Definitely. I would have done it this year, but at this time of year I am all sportived out, and hadn't noticed that it was on.

I taught a lad who spends a lot of time at Chestnut Tree. Lovely lad, and a fantastic Hospice, well worthy of anyone's support. I donate to them, other teachers at my school donate to them and Calde supports them.

What's not to like?

Calde does an awful lot for CTH; he's a very nice guy too, as most people know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Note to self.

When wearing your 'high tech, wicks sweat away from your body' base layer, don't wear it inside out.

It will get messy :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 drugs cheats this season.

All with EPO, it's like they don't even care, that's just lazy.

So much for The Movement for Creditable Cycling.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Is Greg Lemond trying to sell everyone else turbo trainers at the top of this page?

You may be a proper legend Greg but you can get to f*** if you think I'm buying one of those. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here