Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What bike?
Training for what, how, why?

Strava, if you're not already it will make you competitive.

I ended up with a Boardman (2011-13) MTB Pro which retailed around the £1,100 mark for £549 plus £50 voucher ... result IMHO?

Training for the Sussex 100, although I'm only doing the 60 .... sponsor form to follow!

Using Endomondo and just wondered what people thought of Strava and which was better.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's the competitive element I need, so maybe Strava is it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I ended up with a Boardman (2011-13) MTB Pro which retailed around the £1,100 mark for £549 plus £50 voucher ... result IMHO?

Training for the Sussex 100, although I'm only doing the 60 .... sponsor form to follow!

Using Endomondo and just wondered what people thought of Strava and which was better.

Boardman (2011-13) MTB Pro that's a funny name for a road bike :jester:

As it stands the Geeks Strava page won't be much use to you as we're on t'tarmac.
But it's still a great tool for comparing your personal progress, and pitting your wits against others.
Not to mention finding new routes.
I have no knowledge of Endomondo as I've always been a Garmin chap which lead onto Strava.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]: I'm still in the 'zone' faithfully watching every Live programme of Tour of Britain to date. Looking forward to Stage 4 later. :)

The rubbish they casually throw into the hedgerows/side of the road, is this later collected?

I'm impressed with the guys stamina! I'm guessing after the Tumble yesterday Ditchling Beacon and Bear Road will be like minor bumps on the journey into Brighton!
The rubbish issue is one the UCI (governing body) is aware of, litter bugs do get fined, but it's not much more than a token amount.

There is a designated area just after each feed zone for litter, this is tidied up afterwards.

As for out on the road, I'd imagine 99% of bottles are collected (fought over) by fans on the road side.

I guess we have to take responsibility for gel wrappers (I always take mine home).
But the empty bottles of Lucazade and cans of Red Bull, that we get the blame for, is in fact from fat reps not us.

Oh and as for stamina.
Yeah these guys are the real deal, cut like freakin steaks, with no body fat, and hard as nails.
When you get a full grasp of what they do, it's not really surprising that cycling has always had a 'murky' underbelly.

Fortunately for you, post Lance cycling, is working hard with it's credibility, now's just about the best time in 15 years to be investing in the sport.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Boardman (2011-13) MTB Pro that's a funny name for a road bike :jester:

As it stands the Geeks Strava page won't be much use to you as we're on t'tarmac.
But it's still a great tool for comparing your personal progress, and pitting your wits against others.
Not to mention finding new routes.
I have no knowledge of Endomondo as I've always been a Garmin chap which lead onto Strava.

Indeed, I have an early Dawes Road Bike and the MTB won't be leaping over trees and rolling down muddy slopes either, I'm getting too old for that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to buy a fixie. Discuss.
That's brilliant news.

It means I can go on about celeste bar tape while everyone is hating on you.
Happy days.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fixie ??? Celeste bar tape :love:

OK. I'm getting the picture here.

I just really fancy one for spins into town.

I've just emptied my penny jar which has been filling for 18 months, and I have £140 in there. I need to spend it on something.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've just emptied my penny jar which has been filling for 18 months, and I have £140 in there. I need to spend it on something.

You could do a lot worse than pop in to see Aaron. http://www.aarons-bicycle-shop.co.uk

They have all sorts of frames and things in there, have some fixies built up, or even make one up to order (I know you love a bit of custom!).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just had a look at this. I'm off to Lausanne in December - maybe I should take my bike!
Best take an extra cardi too.
When my LBS stocked Bianchi Glyn had a chrome one.
I'll admit to a little pang, but no regrets.

Unlike missing out on the Bianchi cyclocross he also had in, and ended up virtually giving away.
Still kicking myself over that non purchase.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm going to buy a fixie. Discuss.

Sigh.

It must be at least two months since you last bought a bike, so I guess the time is right.

I don't know if you've noticed, but there is one glaring problem with fixies. They have no gears.

Were you aware of this?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Use it properly and I think your fitness will rocket. Properly does not mean fannying about in town though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well what a pointless ride that was.

I got halfway round and had an absolute and unshakable craving for cod and chips, with a can of Ben Shaw's bitter shandy. :facepalm:

So after 31 miles & 1887ft of climbing, the net result is me being half a stone heavier, having just demolished a big plate of starch and grease.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Well what a pointless ride that was.

I got halfway round and had an absolute and unshakable craving for cod and chips, with a can of Ben Shaw's bitter shandy. :facepalm:

So after 31 miles & 1887ft of climbing, the net result is me being half a stone heavier, having just demolished a big plate of starch and grease.

I'm glad someone else rides to eat :thumbsup: night shift over must get out tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here