Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Thanks [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] . Think im gonna be a few more days yet (hopefully, rather than weeks) but look forward to exploring eastwards some more.

On the cadence note I went out with a friend recently who was keeping his heart rate at 166 as that's what he knew his optimum performance to be (he does tri and perhaps more appropriate on a flatter route) but it seemed he was concentrating more on that than the gradient ahead and reading the road, his speed seemed all over the place to me.

I really don't know, interested to hear other views, but possibly concentrating on cadence too much can similarly take the joy and consistency (for want of better word) out the ride as opposed to putting it in, time and a place for it like.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] . Think im gonna be a few more days yet (hopefully, rather than weeks) but look forward to exploring eastwards some more.

On the cadence note I went out with a friend recently who was keeping his heart rate at 166 as that's what he knew his optimum performance to be (he does tri and perhaps more appropriate on a flatter route) but it seemed he was concentrating more on that than the gradient ahead and reading the road, his speed seemed all over the place to me.

I really don't know, interested to hear other views, but possibly concentrating on cadence too much can similarly take the joy and consistency (for want of better word) out the ride as opposed to putting it in, time and a place for it like.
That's just training vs riding really.

Hill repeats, higher cadence, the turbo... All stuff that isn't fun but is a means to an end.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, tend to agree. As said on my long ramble about cadence yesterday, I can't say I enjoyed the ride as much. Certainly felt more like training, not that I'm training for anything in particular.

However, as IL says, it's a means to an end really. I'd like to concentrate on my cadence for a while until a much high cadence than I've previously been riding at becomes almost second nature and also more comfortable because of hopefully the increased fitness as a result. All of which is meaningless of course if I don't get my arse in gear and actually get out on the bike a whole lot more than I am at the moment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hmmm, I guess there's a reason why triathletes use HR as their yardstick, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

HR seems a particularly tri thing to concentrate on, but the problem is, like you say, the moment a beep goes off you have to chuck an anchor out of the back.
Whereas working towards a steady increase in cadence will improve speed and performance, while also stopping HR from spiking.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I wanna know what [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] has purchased.

I convinced him to go for a Fixie so he picked up this rather snazzy ride....

19649_215317002818_34756197818_3204918_3059222_n.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

View attachment 58079

And he's not been back on here since.

Regarding all this GPS, cadence, HR stuff, I reckon you make of it what you want. From a mild fitness / ride enjoyment perspective, the garminge2 covers it perfectly for me. Enough of a distraction to keep me self-competitive, but so much to stop me sitting up and taking in some views. Yes, I want to keep on improving and pushing myself, but only at a sensible rate given my age etc. I'm sort of interested by cadence and HR, but don't envisage thinking about an upgrade until the 2 checks out.

No, I didn't get out. Typically, no rugby championship today to watch either. Nice to see the moto3s on TV though. Need a win today or I'll be well miffed.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

View attachment 58079

Of all the things wrong about that bike is it weird that what annoys me the most is the fact they left the down-tube shifter on? At least the rest of it is either aesthetic (and each to their own mostly, although celeste bar tape will ALWAYS be wrong!) or practical.

Oh no - I've just noticed it isn't the only one... :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quick piece of advise needed.

Myself and 9, nearly 10 year old, Jnr are off to Plumpton tomorrow to do the Evans sportive.

As we don't have any time constraints, I'm wondering about doing the sportive then on the way home parking up at Ditchling.
Clearly he's not going to climb all the way up the Beacon so would I be a bad dad giving him 'the experience'?
Or am I asking for trouble.

It feels like it'll be ok, but I just can't shake the 'what the fook are you thinking' voice in the back of my mind.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Myself and 9, nearly 10 year old, Jnr are off to Plumpton tomorrow to do the Evans sportive.

As we don't have any time constraints, I'm wondering about doing the sportive then on the way home parking up at Ditchling.
Clearly he's not going to climb all the way up the Beacon so would I be a bad dad giving him 'the experience'?

It feels like it'll be ok, but I just can't shake the 'what the fook are you thinking' voice in the back of my mind.
Do it. You'll be surprised what he'll manage. I think the only time I ever rode up it I was 10 (and a bit of a chunk at that age as well!)
Hmmm, I guess there's a reason why triathletes use HR as their yardstick, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

HR seems a particularly tri thing to concentrate on, but the problem is, like you say, the moment a beep goes off you have to chuck an anchor out of the back.
Whereas working towards a steady increase in cadence will improve speed and performance, while also stopping HR from spiking.
On the contrary, short of a power meter, heart rate is the perfect way to tailor your training zones.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I'd go for it. Loads of encouragement and praise, no matter where he climbs off, and he'll be fine. It certainly won't do him any harm if you don't put any unrealistic expectations on him.

As you know, I come up an horrendous hill with my 9yr old (Croft Road) because she knows there really is no alternative on occasions when we want to start the ride straight from the house rather than driving out somewhere first. She got a bit fed up with herself at times when she kept having to climb off, but I continued to give loads of praise and she continued to opt for that ride and give it another go time and time again. You should have seen the joy on her face when she finally cracked it! :) Having said that, the other night she climbed off again because we hadn't done it for a while, but with her that'll just make her more determined to crack it again the next time. She was also able to see that a particular section she used to always struggle on she managed to conquer, so she could take some positives out of it still. Any concerns I first had are increasingly lessened by seeing just how resilient most kids are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd go for it. Loads of encouragement and praise, no matter where he climbs off, and he'll be fine. It certainly won't do him any harm if you don't put any unrealistic expectations on him.

As you know, I come up an horrendous hill with my 9yr old (Croft Road) because she knows there really is no alternative on occasions when we want to start the ride straight from the house rather than driving out somewhere first. She got a bit fed up with herself at times when she kept having to climb off, but I continued to give loads of praise and she continued to opt for that ride and give it another go time and time again. You should have seen the joy on her face when she finally cracked it! :) Having said that, the other night she climbed off again because we hadn't done it for a while, but with her that'll just make her more determined to crack it again the next time. She was also able to see that a particular section she used to always struggle on she managed to conquer, so she could take some positives out of it still. Any concerns I first had are increasingly lessened by seeing just how resilient most kids are.
I'm not to bothered about his mental state!

I was more concerned about him doing any physical damage to himself.
Like 'mini' he's a stubborn bugger who'll never quit until he's fallen off the side.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not to bothered about his mental state!

I was more concerned about him doing any physical damage to himself.
Like 'mini' he's a stubborn bugger who'll never quit until he's fallen off the side.

But he's got his kids racer hasn't he and not going to be doing it on a regular basis is he. Unless.........you haven't gone and bought that fixie from a page or two ago and going to make him do it on that with your cake supply loaded in the front basket!? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here