Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sterling effort Moto for this weeks riding! :clap2:

SB, I'll give more feedback on how I get on with the cadence thingie once I get it up and running. If it didn't come as part of the deal I wouldn't be in a rush to fit one to be honest as I could easily see it as just more clutter, both on the bike and for the mind. I quite like looking at scenery and wildlife still when I ride even though I do get into number watching as well.
It amazes me how consistent I am with my cadence, I certainly don't study it.
I only use it as a tool when my legs are telling my body 'something's not quite right here'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It amazes me how consistent I am with my cadence, I certainly don't study it.
I only use it as a tool when my legs are telling my body 'something's not quite right here'.

Right, got the thing set up and working, on the bike stand at least. What should I be looking for in terms of numbers etc when I next ride?

I heard recently that pros generally spin at around 90 rpm on average and that the likes of us at around 60 -70, unless we work at getting it up through training. Not actually sure what any of that actually means mind you. I've been quite happy going on feel and trying not to grind too big a gear if I can help it, but I know you've looked into all this cadence stuff and swear by it so I'm all ears for some experimenting.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Right, got the thing set up and working, on the bike stand at least. What should I be looking for in terms of numbers etc when I next ride?

I heard recently that pros generally spin at around 90 rpm on average and that the likes of us at around 60 -70, unless we work at getting it up through training. Not actually sure what any of that actually means mind you. I've been quite happy going on feel and trying not to grind too big a gear if I can help it, but I know you've looked into all this cadence stuff and swear by it so I'm all ears for some experimenting.
90 is quite achievable, you'll find the pros around 100+ when riding steady. 60-70 would be quite slow for anyone.

Just see what is natural for you when you're out and try to up a bit if needed. I try to always change down if I dip into the 80s.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
90 is quite achievable, you'll find the pros around 100+ when riding steady. 60-70 would be quite slow for anyone.

Just see what is natural for you when you're out and try to up a bit if needed. I try to always change down if I dip into the 80s.

Thanks, I'll see what happens when I get out and report back.

Can having the sensors (spoke AND chainstay) too far away give you a lower reading or is it that if you're getting a reading then it's accurate? In other words, FM or digital radio type signal as in digital you have to be fully locked on or there's nothing but with FM you can hear something with a weak signal. Only I seemed to be spinning it pretty fast on the stand to get it up to 90. Mind you, I suppose it's hard to really gauge up on the stand.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks, I'll see what happens when I get out and report back.

Can having the sensors (spoke AND chainstay) too far away give you a lower reading or is it that if you're getting a reading then it's accurate? In other words, FM or digital radio type signal as in digital you have to be fully locked on or there's nothing but with FM you can hear something with a weak signal. Only I seemed to be spinning it pretty fast on the stand to get it up to 90. Mind you, I suppose it's hard to really gauge up on the stand.
That sounds about right, you can't spin it very fast with your hands.

If it's getting a signal it should be right. If too far away then it'll more likely jump around the place with the reading.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That sounds about right, you can't spin it very fast with your hands.

If it's getting a signal it should be right. If too far away then it'll more likely jump around the place with the reading.

That's good then, especially as it was my 5 yr old that insisted on doing most of the spinning :lol:

I look forward to seeing how I get on with this. I'm a bit like a kid at Christmas at the moment playing with all his toys at once as I've made so many purchases (mainly secondhand) since getting the other bike. Bike radar and ebay have really come up trumps for me just recently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As IL it's what you can do.
I don't ride in the 90's as said 85 rpm is my sweet spot.

I do enjoy a momentary 112+ rpm spin out when I've mistimed a big gear change, always worth a chuckle.
Some Katusha fella did it on the Arctic Tour, his legs seemed to be going 3 times faster than the rest of the peloton, for a good few metres.

You can work out your optimum rate, there must be a schedule on t'internet somewhere, it's fairly straight forward.
Perhaps hold that thought for a few weeks.

Try to marry the whole ride up with your cadence, gradient, speed, wind resistance, time.

You'll quickly get to segments of your riding thinking 'hang on I can do better than this' or 'I'm over cooking this I need to back off a little'.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Cadence is one of the many reasons to ride fixed. You HAVE to spin up to 130+ on occasion. If you can then transfer this to the road bike a higher cadence becomes natural.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Cadence is one of the many reasons to ride fixed. You HAVE to spin up to 130+ on occasion. If you can then transfer this to the road bike a higher cadence becomes natural.

That's true. When I started riding the track, it did wonders for my leg speed. As a junior we were restricted to 52/14 on the road and I don't recall ever needing more (and used to ride 48/14 on the track).

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Entered the ballot for the RideLondon-Surrey 100 today. 100 miles of flat should be easy considering what I ride out here living on the Mont Blanc massif. It'll be my first non gravity bike race (usually race Downhill bikes) but not my first 100 mile day.
Looking forward to it, even though it's a long way away. Might enter a few small races locally to get use to riding in a pack first.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Entered the ballot for the RideLondon-Surrey 100 today. 100 miles of flat should be easy considering what I ride out here living on the Mont Blanc massif. It'll be my first non gravity bike race (usually race Downhill bikes) but not my first 100 mile day.
Looking forward to it, even though it's a long way away. Might enter a few small races locally to get use to riding in a pack first.

*ahem, I didn't consider Leith Hill and Box Hill flat I've got to say….(although noted they missed them out this year due to bad weather).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
*ahem, I didn't consider Leith Hill and Box Hill flat I've got to say….(although noted they missed them out this year due to bad weather).
In fairness the rest of the course is like the flat bits of Cambridgeshire!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

When you are used to cycling the terrain that [MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION] has in his back yard, then those two hills are like pimples on your face. He'll barely notice them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not a good first outing with the cadence sensor :(

Delayed start to the ride because of rain, and when I did finally leave the house the Bryton wasn't recording anything other than cadence. After ignoring that for a mo and checking the cadence I quickly discovered that a figure constantly over 80 felt really unnatural for me. I then hear an odd click come rustling sound coming from the pedal, on the side the magnet is fitted. I stop to check, no rubs or anything and everything is fine but still the weird sound when I get back on. Anyway, long story short, sound did go away but aborted the ride very early doors and turned round to come home as clearly nothing was going to go right tonight.

Two worrying outcomes:

1) Even though I can image I could quite easily eventually get into a cadence avg of around 80 once out on the open road of a ride, I can definitely say I haven't been spinning that on a regular basis. Anything around 90 feels like I'm spinning the wrong gear.

2) No idea what's happening with the Bryton as it worked flawlessly on it's first outing over a 40 mile ride. Could be it didn't pick up a GPS signal, or maybe something to do with the cadence sensor (which did work fine). Stuck it on the comp and done a software update and see where that gets me.

All in all a crap cycling day, but hey ho, goes like that some days. Onwards and upwards.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Not a good first outing with the cadence sensor :(

Delayed start to the ride because of rain, and when I did finally leave the house the Bryton wasn't recording anything other than cadence. After ignoring that for a mo and checking the cadence I quickly discovered that a figure constantly over 80 felt really unnatural for me. I then hear an odd click come rustling sound coming from the pedal, on the side the magnet is fitted. I stop to check, no rubs or anything and everything is fine but still the weird sound when I get back on. Anyway, long story short, sound did go away but aborted the ride very early doors and turned round to come home as clearly nothing was going to go right tonight.

Two worrying outcomes:

1) Even though I can image I could quite easily eventually get into a cadence avg of around 80 once out on the open road of a ride, I can definitely say I haven't been spinning that on a regular basis. Anything around 90 feels like I'm spinning the wrong gear.

2) No idea what's happening with the Bryton as it worked flawlessly on it's first outing over a 40 mile ride. Could be it didn't pick up a GPS signal, or maybe something to do with the cadence sensor (which did work fine). Stuck it on the comp and done a software update and see where that gets me.

All in all a crap cycling day, but hey ho, goes like that some days. Onwards and upwards.
Could be that it is hitting the sensor once the small amount of Flex when pedalling is taken into account. Try it further away and see if it's still registering. Can't help with the workings of your unit though!

I wouldn't worry too much about the cadence. Just know that it's an area where you could make gains. Just trying to ride at a slightly higher cadence (be it 85+ or whatever). You could also try some spin ups to get there quicker - try spinning as high a cadence as you can on some descents - 20-30s full blast should do it (but you shouldn't feel any resistance).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta love geeks and it's sagely advise, [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION].

I feel quite guilty for not preparing you for extra set up time.
In hindsight I'd have been more surprised if your first report back was 'well that went really well'.

Once you've fine tuned the set up, it'll all be fine and you'll not be touching it again.

Again it'll take a few weeks before you've got a handle of what's a good rpm for you, and where your limit actually is, I guarantee that's not the same number.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just looked at Strava - what's happening Moto? That's some week, chapeau!
I know he spurred me on into 3 figures, even at 141 miles on the week I didn't even make the top 3.

Just in case you missed the separate thread, collectively, last week, the geeks logged 1270.4 miles.

Which means we rode to Valletta, capital of Malta.
Or better still beyond Casablanca or Reykjavik.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I know he spurred me on into 3 figures, even at 141 miles on the week I didn't even make the top 3.

Just in case you missed the separate thread, collectively, last week, the geeks logged 1270.4 miles.

Which means we rode to Valletta, capital of Malta.
Or better still beyond Casablanca or Reykjavik.

Blimey, impressive stuff. I've not been on my bike for a week now, nearly. I have been being very unhealthy at a festival, and am now suffering as a result. I might get out on, say, Thursday...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here