Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The big bike race is coming to Sussex on 13th September does anyone know the route and timings it the British version of the Tour de France. Are you going to watch it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That would be a nice ride, what is it, about 50miles? do it on the bike!
Ease up Bold let the poor fella enjoy his bike before you get the stopwatch and milometer out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The big bike race is coming to Sussex on 13th September does anyone know the route and timings it the British version of the Tour de France. Are you going to watch it!

No route announced yet. Will be watching in Brighton on Saturday and London on Sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If like me you're predisposed to a bit of David Millar luurve, even with all his histrionics.
The Cycling Podcast chaps, now sponsored by The Daily Telegraph, have recorded a bit of a retrospective with him:-

www.thecyclingpodcast.com

It's a good listen, they don't pull too many punches esp when talking about him.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh pooh 3 mins left and the Colnago's not selling. aarrrgghhhh

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Just following British tt champs on Twitter.

Bottrill has been bossing things domestically and Wiggins puts 2 and a half minutes into him on the first lap!

Dowsett a minute down as well!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just following British tt champs on Twitter.

Bottrill has been bossing things domestically and Wiggins puts 2 and a half minutes into him on the first lap!

Dowsett a minute down as well!
[MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] will pi$$ it at about 3am, once he's built up a head of steam on lap 78.

Last edited:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Just watched the Pantani film and cannot believe the state of Berzin! That gear must do deep and permanent damage to your appetite glands.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Geek help required please.

Thinking of getting an upgrade so I can pass my Battaglin onto teenage 1066 and use it as a winter hack at times too. Quite like the idea of going carbon but keen to stay with a Campag groupset. Budget in the region of £600 to £800 at a massive push so was hoping to get a good secondhand job that would retail at about £1,000 - £1,300. Could possibly see what's available on a cycle to work scheme too, but it seems to be nearly all Shimano at that price range.

With that in mind I've been and road tested a 2013 Ribble Evopro full carbon. Centaur groupset throughout and fulcrum racing 5 wheels. The bike looked lovely to my eyes as it's understated black but with a clear coat that lets the carbon weave show. Could see it didn't have much mileage on it as was in very good nick. Not sure if I was expecting it to just glide along when I got on but instantly it seemed to feel laboured and sluggish as I pedaled away on it. Once I got going though it felt nice and the shifting was very smooth (certainly compared to my old centaur). It has gatorskins on it but surely the rolling resistance of those alone wouldn't make it feel sluggish, would it?

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much of carbon and perhaps underestimating my old Battaglin? Anyway, I've left it to think about overnight before getting back to him. I'm torn as there's so much I like about the bike but something just doesn't quite feel right to me. Everything seems to run true and can't see anything wrong with the bike at all. I sort of feel that if it doesn't feel 100% right then I should just leave it as I'm in no rush and I quite enjoy the endless research and chase anyway and something's bound to come up eventually, just that it's unusual to find something so local with a spec that I'm after.

Any thoughts please?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Geek help required please.

Thinking of getting an upgrade so I can pass my Battaglin onto teenage 1066 and use it as a winter hack at times too. Quite like the idea of going carbon but keen to stay with a Campag groupset. Budget in the region of £600 to £800 at a massive push so was hoping to get a good secondhand job that would retail at about £1,000 - £1,300. Could possibly see what's available on a cycle to work scheme too, but it seems to be nearly all Shimano at that price range.

With that in mind I've been and road tested a 2013 Ribble Evopro full carbon. Centaur groupset throughout and fulcrum racing 5 wheels. The bike looked lovely to my eyes as it's understated black but with a clear coat that lets the carbon weave show. Could see it didn't have much mileage on it as was in very good nick. Not sure if I was expecting it to just glide along when I got on but instantly it seemed to feel laboured and sluggish as I pedaled away on it. Once I got going though it felt nice and the shifting was very smooth (certainly compared to my old centaur). It has gatorskins on it but surely the rolling resistance of those alone wouldn't make it feel sluggish, would it?

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much of carbon and perhaps underestimating my old Battaglin? Anyway, I've left it to think about overnight before getting back to him. I'm torn as there's so much I like about the bike but something just doesn't quite feel right to me. Everything seems to run true and can't see anything wrong with the bike at all. I sort of feel that if it doesn't feel 100% right then I should just leave it as I'm in no rush and I quite enjoy the endless research and chase anyway and something's bound to come up eventually, just that it's unusual to find something so local with a spec that I'm after.

Any thoughts please?

If you have doubts, it's a lot of money to spend. Road test a few more bikes, and don't close your mind off to Shimano - my 105 group set is brilliant (and the Sora on my winter bike isn't noticeably worse).

It should not feel sluggish, it should ride itself. I would not buy it - you will always be wondering if it was the wrong decision. Gatorskins don't slow you down much, even 28s.

Good luck sleeping tonight! :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you have doubts, it's a lot of money to spend. Road test a few more bikes, and don't close your mind off to Shimano - my 105 group set is brilliant (and the Sora on my winter bike isn't noticeably worse).

It should not feel sluggish, it should ride itself. I would not buy it - you will always be wondering if it was the wrong decision. Gatorskins don't slow you down much, even 28s.

Good luck sleeping tonight! :)

Thanks for that. I think you're right, probably best to leave it if I have doubts, especially as it's a big long term investment for me. The looks and the spec really have turned my head but I'd be a bit silly to let those things alone draw me in I suppose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It sounds like you were expecting too much, coupled with your current steed being better than you think.
Even though you're not in the market, lbs' don't know that.

Over the next few weeks take 3 very different brands out for a spin, with different group sets.

You'll have a better opinion and a better nights sleep after that.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Did the Colnago go in the end SB?

Did my longest ever 'flag to flag' ride this morning. Much flatter than normal, so I've never done so much peddling before. Didn't finish either bottle. Used (probably not properly) the Garminge2's route upload facility which bailed me out a few times as I went well into unknown territory. Sat up a few times and took in some lovely views. 3/4 of the way in, I had to work a bit harder. 4/5 in and I was blowing a bit. Somehow did a PR close to home coming in. Surprised and pleased to see a 16mph average at the end. Funny how I struggled last week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah it went for £185, with some odd bidding patterns.
Just a smidge under an ideal price but happy enough.

T'is a shame Halfords still won't sell me a replacement, due to the wrong pedals :shrug:
There's a decent 650c Giant on eBay, ending tomorrow night, im keeping an eye on.

I'm glad you had a good ride today I'll have a good nose around it on Strava later, I'm watching the nationals at the moment.
Finally Pinarello have made a bike I approve of!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did my longest ever 'flag to flag' ride this morning. Much flatter than normal, so I've never done so much peddling before. Didn't finish either bottle. Used (probably not properly) the Garminge2's route upload facility which bailed me out a few times as I went well into unknown territory. Sat up a few times and took in some lovely views. 3/4 of the way in, I had to work a bit harder. 4/5 in and I was blowing a bit. Somehow did a PR close to home coming in. Surprised and pleased to see a 16mph average at the end. Funny how I struggled last week.

Nice work Moto :thumbsup:

Did something similar myself today. Was a bit fed up that the promised rain still hasn't arrived so went for a long ride today by way of consolation. Skirted round your neck of the woods where I saw my first ever proper bike race going in the opposite direction at Biddenden - official cars and motorbikes, the works! Two man breakaway out front and a big old peloton chasing them down.

I also had a lot less climbing than usual for me, but that was deliberate to get me through the distance. Quite a bit of headwind on the long flat sections though and also happened upon a charity ride on the final leg from Pevensey to home which made me fell like a bit of a plonker as it must have appeared to the casual observer that I was racing the mainly mountain biked charity riders. Pleased to get up the final hill home without the cramps fully kicking in, even though I did get a few twinges at one point. All in all a fairly nice ride, but a long way from being my most enjoyable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It sounds like you were expecting too much, coupled with your current steed being better than you think.
Even though you're not in the market, lbs' don't know that.

Over the next few weeks take 3 very different brands out for a spin, with different group sets.

You'll have a better opinion and a better nights sleep after that.

Thanks SB. Sound advice I'm sure but to be honest I can't see me trawling around lbs' as I;d need to travel a bit to make it worth my while.

Glad to hear you got a sale on the Colnago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks SB. Sound advice I'm sure but to be honest I can't see me trawling around lbs' as I;d need to travel a bit to make it worth my while.

Glad to hear you got a sale on the Colnago.
Fair do's.

We all always say the same.
'Try as many bikes as you can'.

I was thinking about your 'problem' earlier.
The best I could come up with was if you weren't in your kit, perhaps the bike just didn't quite fit, or the tyres were under inflated.

Failing that all I had left was that it was an absolute carbon (no pun intended) copy of your current bike, making the only difference it being a touch lighter, pretty hard to spot for us.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Pleased to get up the final hill home without the cramps fully kicking in, even though I did get a few twinges at one point. All in all a fairly nice ride, but a long way from being my most enjoyable.

I shall enjoy looking at your ride.

I think there was triathlon based at Leeds Castle. Didn't hear a triathlete coming as I 'left something' on the tarmac. Close. I'll aim left from now on.

Had to go out to collect my daughter and got right leg Adductor longis(?) cramp. Slid the seat right back for a different driving experience let's say.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fair do's.

We all always say the same.
'Try as many bikes as you can'.

I was thinking about your 'problem' earlier.
The best I could come up with was if you weren't in your kit, perhaps the bike just didn't quite fit, or the tyres were under inflated.

Failing that all I had left was that it was an absolute carbon (no pun intended) copy of your current bike, making the only difference it being a touch lighter, pretty hard to spot for us.

Funny you should say that about the tyres. After my first go around the block and me reporting back my honest thoughts, he asked what I ride on and when I said 120psi he looked a bit surprised and then got his track pump to put another 20psi in them. He was a nice bloke like that. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference to how it felt to me getting it up to speed. I did toy before I went with taking my bike over to compare, but I felt a bit silly to do that. I did however jump straight on mine when I got back home for a quick spin round the block to try to compare that way :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here