Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bumped into Brett last night. His facial expressions ranged from "who is this looney" to "this looney thinks he knows me" to "I have come across this looney before". Anyway, his off followed a rider falling in front of him. As he fell, he went over a barrier into the road (dual carriageway) resulting in £100 repairs and nearly a change of trousers.

No ToO on TV?

Have you been on the sauce? It's only 4.30pm.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

That's really horrible.

My last post was an attempt to explain how learning via twitter that Brett M was really shaken up after a cycling accident on Saturday. I saw him before the game and asked him more, but he didn't seem to recognize me. He was thrown over a barrier onto a DC and did not deny being very scared mid flight. And, is it me or is Eurospurt not showing as much cycling this season?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's really horrible.

My last post was an attempt to explain how learning via twitter that Brett M was really shaken up after a cycling accident on Saturday. I saw him before the game and asked him more, but he didn't seem to recognize me. He was thrown over a barrier onto a DC and did not deny being very scared mid flight. And, is it me or is Eurospurt not showing as much cycling this season?

Brett always forgets. I used to play in the same football team as him for a while, and he had only a vague recollection of this, despite my regular hat-tricks and unforgettable scorching shot.

I'm sure Eurosport will get back onto it when this Olympic business is over. But the Tour of Oman is on, isn't it?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sad news indeed. RIP Kristof Goddaert.

Re: Race coverage -

No live coverage of Oman at all.

For the Tours of Algarve and Andalucia, both starting tomorrow- I think Eurosport has some live coverage of one of these, but not certain as Eurosport seem to make it up as they go along. Best bet is to go here http://www.cyclingfans.com/live_race_coverage for links for any live race coverage.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Today's stage highlights, all 30 mins worth are on tomorrow. Tour of Andalusia seems the preferred event.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Today's stage highlights, all 30 mins worth are on tomorrow. Tour of Andalusia seems the preferred event.

I briefly followed a sort of official ticker of it today. The 30 seconds 'coverage' posted up on youtube today is a complete waste of time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just back from the third ride of my new regime.
I followed up the first with a repeat performance, only with slightly more confidence.

Today I kept it flat and reasonably fast adding a further 10 miles.
All in all it's going well, I even managed some 3 to 9 pedaling, not something my thighs are going to be happy about.

Don't worry I will tire of these reports once the novelty wears off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just back from the third ride of my new regime.
I followed up the first with a repeat performance, only with slightly more confidence.

Today I kept it flat and reasonably fast adding a further 10 miles.
All in all it's going well, I even managed some 3 to 9 pedaling, not something my thighs are going to be happy about.

Don't worry I will tire of these reports once the novelty wears off.

What is 3 to 9 pedalling?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I think Stat made it up :lolol:

Actually, I think he is talking about the idea of 'scraping' your foot back at the bottom of the pedal stroke. At least I presume that is what he is on about.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Actually, I think he is talking about the idea of 'scraping' your foot back at the bottom of the pedal stroke. At least I presume that is what he is on about.

Aaaaah, yes, that makes sense. 1 to 7 will suffice for me.

Town hills today - Falmer Road, Coldean Lane and 3x Elm Grove. Elm Grove's average gradient is slightly steeper than the average up the Tourmalet. So do it ten times and it's a similar climb! (As long as you discount the descent of Bear Road and loop around the Lewis Road!) This etape is gonna be a piece of piss! :facepalm:

I didn't want to venture out into the countryside. I keep getting punctures. Happily my new tyres had arrived when I got home...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Aaaaah, yes, that makes sense. 1 to 7 will suffice for me.

Town hills today - Falmer Road, Coldean Lane and 3x Elm Grove. Elm Grove's average gradient is slightly steeper than the average up the Tourmalet. So do it ten times and it's a similar climb! (As long as you discount the descent of Bear Road and loop around the Lewis Road!) This etape is gonna be a piece of piss! :facepalm:

I didn't want to venture out into the countryside. I keep getting punctures. Happily my new tyres had arrived when I got home...

Your not wrong about punctures, it is getting a bit ridiculous lately. I've walked home from my last two rides, not happy at all.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Your not wrong about punctures, it is getting a bit ridiculous lately. I've walked home from my last two rides, not happy at all.

Yep, it's awful. I have never seen so many nicks and holes in a pair of tyres as the ones I am replacing at the moment. So much grit on the roads, so many pot-holes.

We'd better get a corker of a summer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Is it not 9 to 3 pedalling? This was mentioned to me when I had a go on a wattage bike that showed a graph of your power throughout the pedal action. When your foot is at 9 o'clock you push forward toward 3 o'clock as if you are bypassing 12 o'clock (12 o'clock being the highest point of the pedal stroke). Supposed to even out your transitions in the pedal action so that the power is even throughout. Interestingly on the wattage bike it was how amazing it was to go from the graph being a circle (perfect power output) to a figure of '8' shape which effectively meant your efficiency takes a nose dive.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is it not 9 to 3 pedalling? This was mentioned to me when I had a go on a wattage bike that showed a graph of your power throughout the pedal action. When your foot is at 9 o'clock you push forward toward 3 o'clock as if you are bypassing 12 o'clock (12 o'clock being the highest point of the pedal stroke). Supposed to even out your transitions in the pedal action so that the power is even throughout. Interestingly on the wattage bike it was how amazing it was to go from the graph being a circle (perfect power output) to a figure of '8' shape which effectively meant your efficiency takes a nose dive.

Do you get outside on your bike these days? Or has youth football taken over your life?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do you get outside on your bike these days? Or has youth football taken over your life?

Each time I've been free to go out it's been torrential rain. I'd have to say I've been very unlucky. When it has occasionally been reasonable, I've been hooked into family days out. Sunday was a prime example, we took the kids out to the Birling Gap, had a great lunch and a nice day, but I had serious bouts of jealousy every time we passed someone in lycra!

I'm not a fair weather cyclist by any means, but it's been a bit sh1t hasn't it!

Anyway, ko Sunday for the kids is 12.30pm so I'm going to get out Sunday morning!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here