Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That does annoy me when cyclists push to the front and occupy the whole road to get past other cyclists who are queuing at the lights already when they have no idea whether they will be faster than them or not. Just queue up like the other considerate cyclists were doing respecting all road users.

That guy wasn't a cyclist, he was just a prick on a bike and got a slap for being one. He probably equally p*sses off as many cyclists as he does drivers.

Exactly. Road ragers are just road ragers, whatever vechicle they're in or on. Trouble is when the subject matter is on a bike then they're often being a sanctimonious twonk, and consequently an embarrassment to the rest of us.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Tour down under highlights on Sky 3 now. It's only 30 minutes and they've just spent 30 seconds telling me about some jam factory in Adelaide. I don't care.

Obviously they have a contract - they get highlights in return for saying something about a tourist attraction, but I don't want that.

Argggghhhh!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tour down under highlights on Sky 3 now. It's only 30 minutes and they've just spent 30 seconds telling me about some jam factory in Adelaide. I don't care.

Obviously they have a contract - they get highlights in return for saying something about a tourist attraction, but I don't want that.

Argggghhhh!

It's one of the reasons I watched live in the middle of last night, although the main reason was the excitement of Corkscrew Hill. I shall be suffering the highlights and the endless adverts tomorrow though.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The cyclist had no reason to position himself where he did, he provoked the driver.

My understanding is that these bike bike boxes are designed so that cyclists can get ahead of cars before traffic lights so that they can be clearly seen and get away safely when the lights change. Therefore the cyclist was using the bike box exactly in the way that it was designed. Now whether bike boxes are a good idea/design is another matter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My understanding is that these bike bike boxes are designed so that cyclists can get ahead of cars before traffic lights so that they can be clearly seen and get away safely when the lights change. Therefore the cyclist was using the bike box exactly in the way that it was designed. Now whether bike boxes are a good idea/design is another matter.
I can understand that logic when the quantity of cyclists out weigh the space on the road.
Chummy had the space to ride along side the car, at which point he could (should IMHO) have stopped.
Second wheel on the road 2 abreast, happy days.
But he then turned across the front of the car and positioned himself fourth man out (space wise).

It's worth noting the car and all other road users were positioned correctly, BEFORE Attitude Man appeared.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Stunned at the number of transfers everyone has made. I thought we were sticking to one team?

Will now make as many as I can. I ain't finishing at the back of the group :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Stunned at the number of transfers everyone has made. I thought we were sticking to one team?

Will now make as many as I can. I ain't finishing at the back of the group :)

I tried to tell you...

This is the REGULAR LEAGUE. There is also a PURIST LEAGUE.

In the Regular League, we play by normal rules, making transfers as and when they are allowed.

The Purist League is for those that want to pick a team for the whole event and stick to it.

But being as you have entered the Regular League, transfers should be made when necessary, unless you want to finish last.

As I said in an earlier post, it's part of what makes it fun!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I tried to tell you...

This is the REGULAR LEAGUE. There is also a PURIST LEAGUE.

In the Regular League, we play by normal rules, making transfers as and when they are allowed.

The Purist League is for those that want to pick a team for the whole event and stick to it.

But being as you have entered the Regular League, transfers should be made when necessary, unless you want to finish last.

As I said in an earlier post, it's part of what makes it fun!

Tried to tell me my backside! No attempt made. I've been nobbled! Nobbled I tell yer!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not in the purist league. I promise not to make another change regardless. I'm no doper!

If you don't make any changes, then yes you are!

We all make changes, it's what makes it fun! It's why we have a regular league separate from the purist league.

You can't play a purist team, especially not your purist team, in the regular league, Hamilton!

If this wasn't trying to tell you, I don't know what else we could have said.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not in the purist league. I promise not to make another change regardless. I'm no doper!

If you don't make any changes, then yes you are!

We all make changes, it's what makes it fun! It's why we have a regular league separate from the purist league.

You can't play a purist team, especially not your purist team, in the regular league, Hamilton!

You think I actually read your posts? Get outta here!

That, Mr. Hamilton, is how you nobbled yourself.

As it were, so to speak.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That, Mr. Hamilton, is how you nobbled yourself.

As it were, so to speak.

Well I am now like some wheezing 80 year old with one right foot and only half a left pedal about to reach the bottom of the col whilst you lot breach the summit and descend the last few kilometres with the wind at your backs. You had better be ashamed if I get within 100 points of you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Next he'll be telling us he hasn't read the rules, and doesn't know how the points are dished out.

Amateurs.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Decided I couldn't face a TDU highlights package of 10 minutes action in a half hour programme of adverts, so I watched a 5minute stage report instead.

Whilst there I thought I'd check out Quintana's exploits in yesterday's San Luis stage. Possibly the most laid back little highlights package I've ever seen. Nice. :cool:

[yt]WJC5Zur52gQ[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey, cyclocross here I come :love::-

1390502728161-1davft6m270ej-670-80.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another brilliant stage to watch last night. The battle of Old Willunga Hill certainly lived up to expectations. Porte bossed it from the bottom up, and it was a great ride, but I'm left feeling really sorry for Cadel. He did all the right things really, knowing he had to attack Gerrans right from the off because he'd always get beat in a sprint to the finish line. All about the bonus seconds and with a headwind and Porte already gone up the road Cadel was left taking all the wind trying to drop a Gerrans who was sheltered all the way up. Cadel just ran out of steam near the top and it was easy in the end for Gerrans and Ullisi to go past him and Gerrans to nab enough bonus seconds on the line to take back the leaders jersey. Gutted for Evans that there's only one second in it now and that with such a strong OGE team he'll have to next to no chance of nicking an intermediate sprint bonus on the last stage to take victory.

Perhaps Tyrone can help me out here?, but I'm getting the distinct feeling that Cadel really doesn't like Gerrans much and that trying to win this TDU was as much about nicking it off of Gerrans as it was about going out with a home tour win in the twilight of his career. I may be completely wrong, and I know Cadel is reputed to be difficult to get along with anyway, but just seems like there's something personal between these two?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here