[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it doesn't matter for our purposes but we might be excluded from the purist leagues overall as we're not premium players.

Yeah, should be fine for us, but I'd still like a shot at the overalls as usual. And I was hoping to get a level playing field from going purist too.

I saw the list of premium 'advantages' compared to the standard package - read like another list of a 1001 useless things you never knew you needed. The betterware catalogue of fantasy cycling if you will.

Mind you, if they've locked us out of the national purist league then it's as you say - probably the beginning of the end for the free game.

Edit: Started a thread over there to see where we stand. http://road.cc/content/forum/107987-purist-league-non-premium-players

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yep, top line up. Always the question though as to who's here to race (they pretty much all claim to be of course) and who's here to just get some early season race miles into the legs.

The one rider who is always ready to race at the TDU is Greipel. Has a fantastic record at the event. He has to go into any fantasy team selections for this event.

Mark Renshaw is one who might fly a bit under the radar but his team looks as if he might get the green light to have a crack.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The one rider who is always ready to race at the TDU is Greipel. Has a fantastic record at the event. He has to go into any fantasy team selections for this event.

Mark Renshaw is one who might fly a bit under the radar but his team looks as if he might get the green light to have a crack.

Agreed. The gorilla has won it a few times hasn't he?, and always seems to enjoy this race, despite it becoming less pure sprint friendly in recent years. Be interested to see if Kittel is up for giving it a go, because if so then we could have some serious sprint fireworks going on. Especially exciting to see how the young Van Poppels and of course Caleb Ewan match up against Greipel et al. From what I've heard of Ewan, he can get over bumps in the road pretty well too. Could be a cracking start to the season!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just for pure entertainment stakes i'll have a few small wagers on Michael Matthews and Rojas to win it.

With Moreno in the team and Rojas habit of never being able to nail a sprint ???

Matthews possibly, but my money would go hedged on Porte or Thomas, or even Moreno.

I've been looking for some early markets to get on but can't find any yet.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yep, always Gerrans to lose in the end. Bit of a formality really. I can sort of see where Evans was coming from, in that Porte was doing all the attacking so if Cadel conserved knowing Gerrans had to give chase then maybe, huge maybe yes, but just maybe Cadel had a glimmer of hope in the sprint given that he can put in a half decent sprint of sorts when required.

Have you been drinking 1066? Evans will never beat Gerrans in a sprint, unless he is starting from a ramp with 500m to go and Gerrans has ridden 250km and is ill, and drunk :lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can we keep this Jaguar uk guy? He seems like fun. Road Tax, not stopping at lights, undertaking, lycra louts and Green party enthusiasts; all the classics. I think maybe his Missus left him for a cyclist or something :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can we keep this Jaguar uk guy? He seems like fun. Road Tax, not stopping at lights, undertaking, lycra louts and Green party enthusiasts; all the classics. I think maybe his Missus left him for a cyclist or something :lolol:
He'll be back.

That may well have been his second or third attempt at an 'original' argument with his 2 wheeled brethren.
Just give it time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FDJ (France)
BONNET William (FRA)
CORTEILLE Arnaud (FRA)
ELISSONDE Kenny (FRA)
LECUISINIER Pierre-Henri (FRA)
ROUX Anthony (FRA)
SOUPE Geoffrey (FRA)
VEIKKANEN Jussi (FIN)

Billy Bonnet & Jeff Soup.

YEAH BABY, WE'RE BACK.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I've just put my team in - and again Billy Bonnet couldn't be overlooked! This 'knowing nothing' approach is loads more fun than research!

Am I right is assuming we're Purist only after the start of the race? If any riders drop out pre-race we can replace them, non?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

And 'hobby'. He called it a 'hobby'. :smile:

Every cliche possible, every misconception possible. You're right, he's fun. He's got the lot.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
And 'hobby'. He called it a 'hobby'. :smile:

Every cliche possible, every misconception possible. You're right, he's fun. He's got the lot.

He missed out pavement cycling, helmets, wearing black and the use of lights. Also he forgot that cyclists hold drivers up whilst speeding past them. He got the 'undertaking' in, but forgot to mention how cyclists never use cycle lanes.

4/10

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He missed out pavement cycling, helmets, wearing black and the use of lights. Also he forgot that cyclists hold drivers up whilst speeding past them. He got the 'undertaking' in, but forgot to mention how cyclists never use cycle lanes.

4/10

He was spot on with the baldy comment though......:angry:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Goodness me, I've just seen the [MENTION=27807]Jaguar_uk[/MENTION] posts. My word!

Trouble is that most motorists are entirely misinformed on many road matters. He's not alone, he's just a symptom of the general ignorance.

As for Clarkson - rule 163 of the Highway Code Mr Clarkson.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

4/10

You're right of course. I was just considering the 'feel' of his posts.

I bet he's extremely fat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]423048319556788224[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have you been drinking 1066? Evans will never beat Gerrans in a sprint, unless he is starting from a ramp with 500m to go and Gerrans has ridden 250km and is ill, and drunk :lolol:

To be fair, I did include three "maybe", a "huge" and a "formality".

You're probably right though. It's been a long wait for the new season and my excitement with the new season approaching may have clouded my judgement....just a tad :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
4 x criminals
3 x Cheese eating surrender monkeys
1 x Brit.
& inexplicably
1 x Fountain urineator.

Total time, 5 mins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports