[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yeah. I think I'll take a spare from now. I know some like to do running repairs, but its a bit cold for that. It was 2 punctures; 1 right on the edge old a previous repair. I'll need to take something to dig out the darn thorns though, they get quite stuck don't they?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah. I think I'll take a spare from now. I know some like to do running repairs, but its a bit cold for that. It was 2 punctures; 1 right on the edge old a previous repair. I'll need to take something to dig out the darn thorns though, they get quite stuck don't they?

I always have 2 spare tubes, especially in the winter. I never bother repairing either, for the very situation you've described.

As for thorns/flints, a quick run around the inside of the tyre with your finger, prior to putting the new tube in, should do the trick.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
don't suppose anyone is doing the Evans ride from Gatwick tomorrow morning?

i did a 22 mile run today to get used to riding in the sleet at a balmy 3 degrees!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then caught and passed another rider who had not been up it.
This very nearly past me by.

Hunting down and beating targets!, good work fella.
Completely glossing over the possibility he might have been on a century ride, recovering from heart surgery, cramping in both legs.

No I CAUGHT AND PASSED ANOTHER RIDER who I wasn't racing and he had no idea I was there. :thumbsup:

That's one of your last geek badges earned.
(You should have had a tube with you, and got a double)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well played Glanders on your Qatar victory :clap2:

Very tight at the top in the end, and once again NSC turning in some very respectable scores on the nationwide. This is one tough league we have going on here I reckon, which can only ever be a good thing in my book.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think I'll try my usual tactic -

Pick cav

Pick team, fiddle with team.

Remove riders prior to first stage that end up scoring massive points on said 1st stage.

Transfer back in those same riders by which time everyone else has got them anyway.

Pick wrong sky rider

Get annoyed at having to use transfers for riders that have pulled out.

Console myself with the fact that it's form on june/July that matters not Feb!

Well that tactic has fallen at the first hurdle - no Cav apparently.

As for picking the wrong Sky rider - that'll be you and everyone else then because no one will have a clue what Sky will be up to, least of all Sky themselves I expect. Froome apparently team leader for this one, but I'll believe it when I see it. I thought I had it on good authority that Bernie was going to be the man for Qatar but that sort of didn't and did happen. I'm baffled, except to know that any Sky pick for these minor races remains a lottery.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Thanks folks! Got a bit lucky in the last stage. The next race looks like a bit of a nightmare, not least because of the absence of a credible start list. Surely somebody, somewhere knows who's going to ride less than 24 hours before the off!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks folks! Got a bit lucky in the last stage. The next race looks like a bit of a nightmare, not least because of the absence of a credible start list. Surely somebody, somewhere knows who's going to ride less than 24 hours before the off!

And that is without mentioning the mysterious parcours. We know there is a mountain, because a stage finishes at a Green Mountain, there are some hills in some of the stages, but who knows which ones and where they are. I've really not worked out my tactics for this one.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Still no startlist update. Certainly quite a few of the riders currently listed are racing Tour Méditerranéen as we speak so they're definite non starters.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
You may all know this, but there are generally decent start sheets over at cycling fever. Still missing a few slots for Oman though, last time I looked.

Correction; looks pretty much complete now. Bit of a ballache flicking between the two websites, but it can be done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems pretty up to date now, only 6 pages of riders.

I don't imagine anyone will get close to my awesome display, next week.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh great!, loving that revised startlist.

6 of my riders greyed out, 2 of which were young hopefuls I had high hopes for, and two young hopefuls I wanted to work in for when it goes uphill aren't starting either. Oh well, back to the drawing board as per usual.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Trial & Error pick for me. Which 30 credit+ riders to go for?

I'll just find out, after the first stage. :rolleyes:
None, mid twenties is all I need to humiliate you lot.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right, I think that'll have to do for me or else I'll be tinkering all night. Alarmingly though I seem to have ended up with 3 Italians. Thankfully only one of them is a sprinter so that should cut down the unpredicability factor just a tad.

3 Italian
2 French
2 Slovak
1 German
1 Canadian

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My winners are a Benetton ad:-

3 Belgiums
1 Dutch
1 Czech
1 Kazak
1 Italian
1 Aussie
1 Frenchie.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Right, I think that'll have to do for me or else I'll be tinkering all night. Alarmingly though I seem to have ended up with 3 Italians. Thankfully only one of them is a sprinter so that should cut down the unpredicability factor just a tad.

3 Italian - Nibali, Bennatti, Viviani
2 French - Bouhanni and Soupe
2 Slovak - Velits and Sagan!
1 German - Degenkolb
1 Canadian - Rast

Too expensive I know, but must be close!

1 Australian
1 Japanese
2 Dutch
1 Italian
1 Belgian
2 French
1 Slovak

Do I win the international prize!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports