Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
BMX Update 2:

Spent the last couple of lunch breaks tinkering with the bike. Its now stripped of all decals, and the old school bars and brakes are fitted (managed to also re-use the cables already with it)
Only issue I've had is the seat post. While its the right size for the frame, the eagle eyed amongst you will notice its not tapered at the end, so I cant fit an old school "seat guts" clamp on there for the new railed saddle....so a new tapered seat post (chrome), which I can fit the SE saddle to, is on its way already. Should all be complete and ready to ride (barring new decals, grips & new tyres) next week 😎 Not bad for less than £60 all in so far

Attachments

• 20230203_152032-01_resized.jpeg
    20230203_152032-01_resized.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230203_152303-01_resized.jpeg
    20230203_152303-01_resized.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have my first 200k Audax in a couple of weeks, any tips?
Pray :lolol:

I once did the 300km Oasts and Coasts Audax. Unfortunately I was ill for the official event so I did it a few months later with a mate. This then meant we started said finished from Hastings instead, meaning it was now backloaded with the Ashdown Forest hills.

One actual tip. Don't forget to keep eating and drinking throughout.

Good luck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have my first 200k Audax in a couple of weeks, any tips?
Where is this Audax btw?

If you're local to East Sussex, have you ridden Mad Jack's yet?

It's a bit of a leg breaker and can be a tad chilly too. Lovely route though, starting from Hailsham. We used to do it as a ride there and back, since we're not too far away in Hastings, which took it to nearly a 200km day out.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Where is this Audax btw?

If you're local to East Sussex, have you ridden Mad Jack's yet?

It's a bit of a leg breaker and can be a tad chilly too. Lovely route though, starting from Hailsham. We used to do it as a ride there and back, since we're not too far away in Hastings, which took it to nearly a 200km day out.
It's Gravesend to Hythe and back.
Not ridden much in Sussex to be honest as I'm Surrey based so most rides tend to head for the Surrey hills.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's Gravesend to Hythe and back.
Not ridden much in Sussex to be honest as I'm Surrey based so most rides tend to head for the Surrey hills.
Just had a quick look. Wye Wednesday?

If so, the climb up from Wye to The Devil's Punchbowl is particularly nice. Hopefully they'll route you that way.

I did as much of my riding in Kent as I did in Sussex, seeing as I always preferred to head East and straight out into countryside from where I am. Nice area you're based in too:thumbsup:

Enjoy the Audax. They're great events.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its my fault on every level. I really must clean my bike more than once a year. Cranks barely move when bike is stationary and that must be making it harder to ride.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Be interested in your collective views on a series of Industry Challenge events the GB Olympians are hosting, which involve going Head to Head with the GB Gold Medallist in Flying Lap competitions on the Track and the One Mile Time trial, 5% of the time in competition with 95% being a couple of hours coaching, riding both on Road and Track at the Olympic Velodrome.

(You can accrue bonus time through fundraising, a slightly better call for support asking for help to beat a Gold Medallist rather than sponsor yet another long distance ride).

The cost is £345 for a team of two, the experience comes with athlete Q and A's and Individual and Team prizes plus Hospitality.

It seems people are scared of the challenge :).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I suppose I'll get called a plonker for this but I put a shit load of washing up liquid in my chain cleaner, topped it up with degreaser, then did a full degreasing session and stone me it looks metallic again.

Sir Julian has cancelled me tomorrow so I will have a shufty out east on me own.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hmm. Good to go, then I looked out of the window. It was wet. Undo all yesterday's cleaning? No chance.

2 roller sessions and a rear tyre gash noticed. Lucky. Will swap it over next weekend.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone ever ridden a recumbent, or know anyone that rides one on a regular basis?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
BMX Update #3:

Almost done! Just needs the new blue cables attached...BUT, I've found an old school freestyle chrome frame nearby for just £20, and Im considering getting that and swapping everything over, so will hold fire on the cables ATM. Will find out Friday PM if its mine or not...
For now though, Im more than happy with how this has turned out (and if the other frame doesn't pan out I wont be too concerned) - & all for about £100 inc. the cost of the original bike! 😎 many thanks to @Stat Brother for the brake levers - unfortunately the grips got swiped to go on the mtb! :thumbsup:

Before:

IMG-20230122-WA0003.jpg

After:

20230221_134912-02_resized.jpeg

20230221_134928-02_resized.jpeg
20230221_134943-02_resized.jpeg
20230221_135007-02_resized.jpeg
20230221_135019-03_resized.jpeg

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Thanks, I'll give Superglue a go.

Yeah the spindle the cotter pinned crank arms attach too, won't stay tight on the chain side of the BB.
Green loctite. Superglue is for childrens toys. . . .638. . . .metal/metal, make sure its all ultra clean, add a dash, bolt it all together and leave it 24 hours. The stuff goes rock hard and things will not move.

We've used it to rebuild squeakey scooter engines in Italy that have made it home, I used it to bodge a cracked flywheel back on a crankshaft, which weighed 5kg and revved to 6000 rpm . . . Held fine. Key is cleanliness for best adhesion, and leave it long enough to set.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here