Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Felt really sorry for Yates today. I think he would have held Alaphilippe off had he not fallen on the descent.

View attachment 99054

I don't think so myself. Alaphillipe is just so good descending it's frightening. I did feel really sorry for Yates all the same.

The riders passed the Fabio Casartelli monument today. His sad accident doesn't feel like 23 years ago.

RIP.

I remember watching it at the time. Really sad day.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
What are the chances of Froome "doing an Hinault" today? Despite the assurances he is helping Thomas, surely that 5th Tour is too much of a lure for him? Just like Hinault vs Lemond in the mid 80s.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
What are the chances of Froome "doing an Hinault" today? Despite the assurances he is helping Thomas, surely that 5th Tour is too much of a lure for him? Just like Hinault vs Lemond in the mid 80s.

I just cantt see it. The domestiques would have to stay with Thomas and haul him in, would they not. Whatever, it would be fascinating, and if anything does happen, we'll know very soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Didn't Lemond do the 'honourable' thing and never truly attack the senior rider (with 4 Tour wins up to that stage)?

I've always assumed that if Lemond had deprived Breton hero Hinault of his record equalling 5th win, his personal safety would have been seriously risk in all future tours.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn't Lemond do the 'honourable' thing and never truly attack the senior rider (with 4 Tour wins up to that stage)?

I've always assumed that if Lemond had deprived Breton hero Hinault of his record equalling 5th win, his personal safety would have been as seriously risk in all future tours.

Lemond did the honourable thing in '85 on assurance that Hinault would support his bid the following year - only for Hinault to continually attack Lemond in '86. Lemond held on.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The GC group led to a non-competed stage finale for Quintana.

The Eurosport and ITV hype didn't quite pan out.

Not totally sure that i agree with you. Quintana rode one hell of a stage and simply blew the others away today for the win. Dan Martin was competing and threw all he had at it but simply could not touch the Colombian.

Froome looked like a busted flush today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here