Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling - Back from Tour of Britain...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...now that's how to interact with the fans.

We had a fantastic day watching the cycling, and between events being in the 'pit' area.

No matter which team we went to everybody connected to them couldn't have been more fan friendly.

Jnr got 5 of the 6 Sky riders autographs, photos with them all, as well as the winner Lars Boom, and current world Champion Thor Hushovd.
Plus countless others, all this within half an hour of the final race.

There wasn't a single ego, headphone, or 'minder' on show.

A great day was had by all.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
...now that's how to interact with the fans.

We had a fantastic day watching the cycling, and between events being in the 'pit' area.

No matter which team we went to everybody connected to them couldn't have been more fan friendly.

Jnr got 5 of the 6 Sky riders autographs, photos with them all, as well as the winner Lars Boom, and current world Champion Thor Hushovd.
Plus countless others, all this within half an hour of the final race.

There wasn't a single ego, headphone, or 'minder' on show.

A great day was had by all.

That's great to hear. Wish I could have made it. Highlights tonight made it look a real occasion, better than last time I went, a couple of years ago.

Onwards and upwards for cycling in the UK.

They do need to find ways to get a higher profile though. Most people didn't know about today in advance even now EVERYONE now has heard of Cavendish.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
On a related matter (but without starting new cycling threads and annoying the uninterested): if Cav wins the Worlds next week, would he be a shoe-in for Sports Personality of the year? I think Tommy Simpson won it in '65 after he'd won the World Championship. Would be fitting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We went past the Rapha team, and I saw the Yetti KoM's prize rammed in the front of a van.

I asked a member of staff if jnr could have his pic with the cuddly toy, the bloke replied, 'it's not mine'.

He then shouted the question and I saw Jon Tiernan-Locke the winner of the KoM stop what he was doing walk round get his prize and posse for a photo.

Top top work

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a related matter (but without starting new cycling threads and annoying the uninterested): if Cav wins the Worlds next week, would he be a shoe-in for Sports Personality of the year? I think Tommy Simpson won it in '65 after he'd won the World Championship. Would be fitting.
I’m not liking the look of the GB team, again!.

Millar Wiggins & Froome aren’t going to want to, or be able to ride solely for Cav.
G has to be the ‘other’ option for the win.
Cumming Hunt and Stannard aren’t exactly world beaters.

I don’t see Cav pulling this off, Theo Bos, for an outsiders win

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Millar Wiggins & Froome aren’t going to want to, or be able to ride solely for Cav.

I don’t see Cav pulling this off

Not exactly Goss & Renshaw, is it? And Renshaw hasn't even made the Aussie team.

Agree it's not where the smart money is, but yesterday's last ToB stage shows Cav can win even without a great leadout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah but the extra distance required to win the Worlds, means you need protection for ALL of the race not just three quarters of it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was a great day. The teams were so accessible. In the day Sky put security around their coach - which did not seem in the spirit of the day. However Geraint Thomas was signing away. We saw Cav throw a strop which was amusing.

It really was a great day.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

G has to be the ‘other’ option for the win.
Cumming Hunt and Stannard aren’t exactly world beaters.

I don’t see Cav pulling this off, Theo Bos, for an outsiders win

If Millar, Wiggins and Froome don't want to ride for Cav then they wouldn't be in the team. It WILL finish in a bunch sprint, and Mark Cavendish is the only rider in the GB squad capable of winning it. Personally I can't think of a much better lead-out than Millar-Wiggins-Thomas.

Who WOULD be in your team?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm absolutely not disputing their credentials, but:-

Millar is lightly raced since Le Tour new baby etc, and I doubt he sees his TT podium days, as a thing of the past.
So therefore won't be going full pelt for the race.

Wiggins/Frome went and raced a brutal Vuelta for 3 full weeks, plus Wiggins is in the TT.

G will need to be the 'backup plan', so won't go balls out for Cav.

There's no guarantee it will be a bunch sprint, and even if that's a possibility someone will have to cancel out Gilbert, from 5k out.
Nobody else will do it, why created a bunch sprint that you'll lose to Cav, instead.
I don't see the rest of the team being able to control the field enough, a la HTC, to get Cav to a bunch sprint.

A select group in single figures will fight out the win, in the last 5k

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TourofBritain079.jpg

TourofBritain039-1.jpg

TourofBritain088-1.jpg

Plenty more where they came from!.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here