Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Current World XI Draft

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've made two small errors so far.

1)I've severely underestimated my lack of knowledge of world football. I knew I probably didn't have the depth of knowledge of some of you but I didn't think that I'd be out of viable options half way through the draft. The way things are going I'm going to be choosing random players I've never heard of by round seven.

2)My entire strategy.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've made two small errors so far.

1)I've severely underestimated my lack of knowledge of world football. I knew I probably didn't have the depth of knowledge of some of you but I didn't think that I'd be out of viable options half way through the draft. The way things are going I'm going to be choosing random players I've never heard of by round seven.

2)My entire strategy.

I feel your pain I'm finding this much harder than the bhafc one as then I could sit and think about players I had seen and players I had heard about and then do a bit more research. Still its a great challenge.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think we're reaching the stage now where people's "wishlists" will inevitably be hit harder and harder as the amount of available "big" names starts to decrease.

I've got a LONG wait until my next pick and, although I can say for certain right now who I want to be able to pick when the time comes, I can't be even vaguely confident that the player I want will still be available.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My strategy has been to go for the best player available at the time of selection. It remains to see how this will pay off when it comes to the later choices...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Right, my next pick comes in category six as he has played in four different countries. He is currently on loan from Real Madrid at his old club Borussia Dortmund where he has played every game this season and had more touches of the ball than any of his teammates - impressive stuff.

25-year-old Turkish international NURI SAHIN

fft104mm2750930.jpg

Sahin and Alonso dictating the play? Have fun chasing the ball for 90 minutes.

Paging [MENTION=5392]Reinelt12[/MENTION]

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Just realised I'd originally said Dante was for cat 6 too. Oh well, either Dante or Sahin can jump to cat 10 (two league titles with two clubs) as they both qualify for both

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
My strategy has been to go for the best player available at the time of selection. It remains to see how this will pay off when it comes to the later choices...

If it's any consolation, I've gone for the 'strong spine' approach, ignoring any real flair or playmakers until it had been established. I've got maybe two creative players left I can pick from that I'd already shortlisted.

Going to be close...

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I am offline at the moment so can't put a pic up or give stats etc. but with my fifth pick, and in the category of Winning a title for 2 different teams (Inter and Man City) - I decided I needed a loose cannon, someone unpredictable to make things a little interesting in my side, and with bags of talent to boot... I give you Super Mario Balotelli...

N.B can someone mention the next player up please as I am unsure of the name to use?

bhafc22

Feb 21, 2009
Market Harborough - Midlands
[MENTION=15941]pauldcpfc[/MENTION] next but I think that is [MENTION=13200]bhafc22[/MENTION]

It is indeed!

My 5th pick and 2nd attacking player represents Argentina, but has never played for them in the World Cup

He currently plays for Paris Saint Germain...

69169.jpg

Ezequiel Lavezzi
[MENTION=24420]Gullflyinghigh[/MENTION]

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I am offline at the moment so can't put a pic up or give stats etc. but with my fifth pick, and in the category of Winning a title for 2 different teams (Inter and Man City) - I decided I needed a loose cannon, someone unpredictable to make things a little interesting in my side, and with bags of talent to boot... I give you Super Mario Balotelli...

N.B can someone mention the next player up please as I am unsure of the name to use?

Goddamn it! That's mightily annoying.

I will now be using some of the alloted time to think my next pick through...hmm

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Goddamn it! That's mightily annoying.

I will now be using some of the alloted time to think my next pick through...hmm

I couldn't believe he had slid this far down the draft... I just had to take him now as I knew he wouldn't last another 20 picks!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I couldn't believe he had slid this far down the draft... I just had to take him now as I knew he wouldn't last another 20 picks!

He would've lasted until mine at the latest so a good move on your part!

I'm now torn between a couple... Argh!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Ok, I've read the list of drafted names about three times and I think this young man is still available;

Qualifying under category 9 as he's only 20 years old, my next choice is going to be the creative hub of my team.

He's already got 7 international caps under his belt as well as winners medals for the UEFA Cup and Copa Del Rey. Add to this his current standing as the joint-top assist provider in La Liga and becomes one of world football's rising stars. Of Atletico Madrid, he is;

Jorge Resurrección Merodio
(Otherwise known as 'Koke')
[MENTION=1284]moggy[/MENTION] is up next if memory serves...

bhafc22

Feb 21, 2009
Market Harborough - Midlands
Ok, I've read the list of drafted names about three times and I think this young man is still available;

Qualifying under category 9 as he's only 20 years old, my next choice is going to be the creative hub of my team.

He's already got 7 international caps under his belt as well as winners medals for the UEFA Cup and Copa Del Rey. Add to this his current standing as the joint-top assist provider in La Liga and becomes one of world football's rising stars. Of Atletico Madrid, he is;

Good pick, very good player, despite an average performance on Tuesday!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

@moggy is up next if memory serves...

Nice... A connoisseurs choice...

Oct 25, 2003

what an absolutely superb middle name

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is indeed!

My 5th pick and 2nd attacking player represents Argentina, but has never played for them in the World Cup

He currently plays for Paris Saint Germain...

69169.jpg

Ezequiel Lavezzi

[MENTION=24420]Gullflyinghigh[/MENTION]

That is a very good spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here