Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Current lack of goals

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
christ, knew it was bad but not quite that bad.

kinda makes sense when you’ve watched our games though. since we’ve had absolutely no threats on the wing, it’s been very difficult to create really good chances in the box.

obviously there has been some missed chances where we could’ve done better, joao pedro has a couple at the weekend, ferguson has one against fulham i think, and adingra had a couple against roma. but by and large the problem isn’t necessarily profligacy, but the fact that we’ve pretty much found ourselves restricted to pot shots from distance the most part as there has been absolutely no creativity.

the four goals we have scored since the start of march have been two comedy own goals and two bits of quality ball-striking from welbeck. it’s worrying how awful we’ve been creatively without mitoma or march

Jimmy Grimble

christ, knew it was bad but not quite that bad.

kinda makes sense when you’ve watched our games though. since we’ve had absolutely no threats on the wing, it’s been very difficult to create really good chances in the box.

obviously there has been some missed chances where we could’ve done better, joao pedro has a couple at the weekend, ferguson has one against fulham i think, and adingra had a couple against roma. but by and large the problem isn’t necessarily profligacy, but the fact that we’ve pretty much found ourselves restricted to pot shots from distance the most part as there has been absolutely no creativity.

the four goals we have scored since the start of march have been two comedy own goals and two bits of quality ball-striking from welbeck. it’s worrying how awful we’ve been creatively without mitoma or march
We’ve been saying it for months, RDZball (at least in an attacking sense) is heavily reliant on two proper wingers. Unfortunately, none of our back-up wingers are close to Mitoma or March in that out-and-out wide man role.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Looks like the squads been given 3 days off before they focus on scoring goals in the run in, according to Naylor.

Ferguson is in Paris currently, hopefully spending time with Killian

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
We’ve been saying it for months, RDZball (at least in an attacking sense) is heavily reliant on two proper wingers. Unfortunately, none of our back-up wingers are close to Mitoma or March in that out-and-out wide man role.
i think it works with one decent back up winger, such as adingra. as you have to bear in mind that the opposition will put two men on whoever our most threatening winger is, which is usually mitoma. obviously we’re in the situation where we have neither first choice winger, so nobody is manipulating that space to drag defenders out of position.

also worth noting that really, when you consider what de zerbi asks of his fullbacks, we basically play with four wingers. with pervis’ poor form, hinshelwood’s injury, lamptey’s dodgy fitness record and igor and veltman not being very good going forward, we’ve essentially had no one making those overlapping runs for most of the season. which then makes the opposition fullbacks job a lot easier as they only have to focus on the winger

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
i think it works with one decent back up winger, such as adingra. as you have to bear in mind that the opposition will put two men on whoever our most threatening winger is, which is usually mitoma. obviously we’re in the situation where we have neither first choice winger, so nobody is manipulating that space to drag defenders out of position.

also worth noting that really, when you consider what de zerbi asks of his fullbacks, we basically play with four wingers. with pervis’ poor form, hinshelwood’s injury, lamptey’s dodgy fitness record and igor and veltman not being very good going forward, we’ve essentially had no one making those overlapping runs for most of the season. which then makes the opposition fullbacks job a lot easier as they only have to focus on the winger
This isn’t new, Bruno and Knockheart did this.
It feels like we have zero pace in the side right now BUT the real issue IMO is the injuries and form of Ferguson, he ‘saved’ Tony £40m last summer, for the first time in years last summer not every thread on here was ‘we need a striker’ because we had a world class one in waiting, even Undav was (IMO naively) allowed to leave. With Fergie so off it we have no one who looks a threat. Desperately need him to rediscover fitness and form or those threads will return this summer.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
This isn’t new, Bruno and Knockheart did this.
It feels like we have zero pace in the side right now BUT the real issue IMO is the injuries and form of Ferguson, he ‘saved’ Tony £40m last summer, for the first time in years last summer not every thread on here was ‘we need a striker’ because we had a world class one in waiting, even Undav was (IMO naively) allowed to leave. With Fergie so off it we have no one who looks a threat. Desperately need him to rediscover fitness and form or those threads will return this summer.
agree re undav although i think the player wanted to return, so possibly the best option there. ferguson has obviously been going through a very dry spell in front of goal, which happens, but for me the lack of creativity is the real problem. i’ve seen too many games where we just haven’t created anywhere near enough. and we really struggle to create very high xG opportunities at the moment. not exactly making it easy for ferguson to end that dry spell when he’s feeding off scraps a lot of the time

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It's amazing really. Given the tactical reliance on quality wide players, we are still 10th and that is not through luck.

I get that no Ally Mac or Caicedo has weakened us but we have managed. It's the performance of our wide players that has impacted us the most.

Next season could be epic.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's amazing really. Given the tactical reliance on quality wide players, we are still 10th and that is not through luck.

I get that no Ally Mac or Caicedo has weakened us but we have managed. It's the performance of our wide players that has impacted us the most.

Next season could be epic.
Oh, agreed. We're currently witnessing how important March and Mitoma have been for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here