Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Crossrail Delay: Line will not open until 2021 as costs increase

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
With HS2 I really wished they'd taken the opportunity to build cycle lanes on the land alongside it wherever possible. Would be a huge boost to the cycle network which benefit all road users by having dedicated bike lanes away from traffic + pedestrians. Cost would be minuscule in relation to total.

Totally agree - it was madness this was dropped as it would have made a huge difference.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And you are? The construction expert on this project?

Jeez, why are you such hard work? No I'm not, but I am possessed with a degree of intelligence. Crossrail overran its budget by just under 15% If HS2 overruns its budget by the same amount it will come in at £34.5 billion (assuming your figure of the £30 billion estimate is accurate). That figure is nowhere near the £100 billion you proposed/feared/expect. Even if HS2 overruns by 100% it will only by £60 billion, again nowhere near your £100 billion.

So to answer your question (again). No, HS2 will not come in at £100 billion if the original budget is only £30 billion.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Jeez, why are you such hard work? No I'm not, but I am possessed with a degree of intelligence. Crossrail overran its budget by just under 15% If HS2 overruns its budget by the same amount it will come in at £34.5 billion (assuming your figure of the £30 billion estimate is accurate). That figure is nowhere near the £100 billion you proposed/feared/expect. Even if HS2 overruns by 100% it will only by £60 billion, again nowhere near your £100 billion.

So to answer your question (again). No, HS2 will not come in at £100 billion if the original budget is only £30 billion.

56bn is the original. 85bn is current thinking.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/20/hs2-could-go-30bn-over-budget

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
You're forgetting we inventes the hovercraft which has been banned by the EU and when independents day comes we can start using them again so wont need this crossrail thing anyway. We also invented the jet engine so can use that to

Regards
DG

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Again you have not explained why it would reduce capacity and instead want to promote more expenditure in the south east instead. The rolling stock in the north is being replaced, both Transpennine Express and Northern have new rolling stock already and more coming.
See the new Nova1 Nova 2 and Nova 3 trains here https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/the-nova-fleets/nova-3

HS2 is to connect London with Birmingham, and then onto Leeds and Manchester. The existing lines can serve the smaller intermediate locations with less crowding as some has moved off onto the HS2 line(s).

The plan is to reduce the services on the existing west coast mainline thus reducing the options for those South of Birmingham once HS2 is built.

Do you travel to London much and do you see the existing travel times as a major issue?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Surely not? That's way over 15%? And Brovion does possess a degree of intelligence.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
You're forgetting we inventes the hovercraft which has been banned by the EU and when independents day comes we can start using them again so wont need this crossrail thing anyway. We also invented the jet engine so can use that to

Regards
DG
With more modern ferries, fast catamarans with greater capacity and the Channel tunnel that is what did for hovercraft. Nothing to do with the EU.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just wait for HS2, the next big scandal. Crossrail just the warm up act....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry can someone remind me which political party started this? Without this key fact I won't be able to know whether to condemn the profligate ********ry, or nod saguely about no complex project ever coming in on budget. Or time. :shrug:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry can someone remind me which political party started this? Without this key fact I won't be able to know whether to condemn the profligate ********ry, or nod saguely about no complex project ever coming in on budget. Or time. :shrug:

I think it is more about what Government started what (no matter which) and at the end of the day these projects hike in price every single time no matter who the Govt. is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surely not? That's way over 15%? And Brovion does possess a degree of intelligence.

Yes, way more than you obviously. Your figures were a final cost of 100 billion over a budget of 30 billion. (I did make a point of saying it was YOUR estimate). It seems you were a teensy bit wrong!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
To give you an idea how friendless HS2 is, The Bow Group have come out today and said they no longer support HS2 due to the ever increasing costs (the current 85bn is generally believed to be on the low side) and due to the lack on integration in the current rail network. Who are the Bow group? They are a Tory think including the likes of Norman Tebbit, John Redwood and Geoffrey Howe not your natural opponents of such schemes.

The full line to Manchester / Leeds is currently estimated at 2040.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes, way more than you obviously. Your figures were a final cost of 100 billion over a budget of 30 billion. (I did make a point of saying it was YOUR estimate). It seems you were a teensy bit wrong!

Stop being such a child.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here