Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Crooked Hove solicitor Paul Arscott's lenient sentence for fraud

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few weeks ago, I mentioned how my dad's best friend, a solicitor, robbed my dad's estate - as well as cleaning out at least half a million from other clients. I bemoaned that he got a suspended sentence, whereas some herbert from Scoomb would probably get a stiff jail term for stealing that much.

Weststander posted that sentencing guidelines had changed since then and in every case a solicitor would get a long jail sentence. As we can see, things haven't changed at all. It's a poor state of affairs.

They have changed, solicitors are jailed for this frequently. This sentence is a mystery, with a good post on this thread pointing out a mistake in sentencing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Argus probably omitted possible mitigation such as broken home, pet died, actions of former employee, living in an area full of villains, etc that meant his actions were almost inevitable.

Bottom line is that he stole from vulnerable and charities and would have continued to do so if he hadn’t been caught.

His lenient sentence sends out the wrong messages.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There are few people we have to put a level of trust in. If these people are untrustworthy then they should never practice again and should definitely serve a custodial sentence for crimes such as this. They are the scum of the earth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here