Crime drops again

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Crime figures dropped a further 5% last year and have dropped 39% since their peak in 1995.

Obviously the labour party are doing a good job, (as well as our lovely police forces)

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
ditchy said:
spin spin spin

No those are the bare facts of the crime survey.

The risk of becoming a victim of crime has dropped from 40% to 26%.

The number of crimes commited last year was the lowest figure since 1981.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Nice to know that Tony's "Lock 'em up, put more bobbies on the beat" policy is working.

Spin, spin, spin. Why 1995? Why not 1998 or 1999? They would make more sense as a starting point to judge Labour's record. Even that one quote showed that crime reduced from 1995 to 1998/9.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Well 1995 was the year with the highest recorded crime figures.
I don't have the figures for 1996 or 1997, but they probably dropped in those years. Still succesive Conservative governments presided over a 16 year rise in crime.

The labour comment at the top was just to wind up the rabid right. You've got to wonder why Tony Bliar is making speeches about the end of "the 1960s social-liberal consensus on law and order".

The reality is despite what our politicians and tabloid papers are saying Britain is becoming a safer place.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So do you feel safer on the streets Voroshilov?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Im guessing the figs are for crimes reported? What about those that (perhaps stupidly) despair of the system, and don't report crimes....?

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
I must admit that the shootings have declined where I live at the moment.
Don't know why???

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Faldo said:
Im guessing the figs are for crimes reported? What about those that (perhaps stupidly) despair of the system, and don't report crimes....?

Again... from the BBC website...

Crime levels may or may not be falling, but more than half of victims still don't tell police what has happened to them. Why is it people choose to suffer in silence?

If you were a victim of one of the 11.7 million crimes committed in the UK over the past year, it's odds-on that you never reported it to the police.

While the authorities are trumpeting a 5% decline in overall offences, the authoritative British Crime Survey also shows many victims remain reluctant to turn to them for help.

Almost six out of 10 people who have experienced a crime never tell police - a figure consistent with previous studies.

It is not just those who suffer relatively minor crimes like bicycle theft or common assault who don't come forward.

About half of the victims of violent crime decide not to seek help, while a quarter of those who have experienced a burglary also keep quiet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3914351.stm

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Faldo said:

Two sets of crime figures have been reported this morning. The polices reported crime figures and the British Crime Survey.

The polices figures are of crimes reported to the police that can't be proved to be bogus. They include this year a recorded allegation of Treason against George Galloway for opposing the GW2.

The british crime survey is the result of interviews with 40,000 people over the age of 16. Although it has obvious drawbacks, it is generally considered to be a better picture of crime than the police figures as over half of all crimes go unreported.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Voroshilov said:
I never felt particularly unsafe on the streets.

Okay, I'll put it another way.

Was anyone 'in' the last time you went to a police station?

Smithers-Jones

Mar 26, 2004
Eltham
Crime figures down ......Ok so that's sheep worrying in Northumbria taken care of!! However, here in London there has been a big increase in violent crime. The Govt. (any Govt.) can spin figures as much as they want, but the bottom line is would you let your missus walk home late from the station on her own? Do you always have it in the back of your mind that if you get into any sort of argument in the street there is a good chance that some prick will pull a knife on you? We had a stabbing here in South East London at Christmas that was carried out by a 65 year old man!!

House broken into? Console yourself in the fact that you can call the police and your crime number will be with you very quickly to forward onto the insurance company, who will then promptly increase your premiums! Don't expect them to nick the scrote who did it though, most times they don't even bother actually attending, just send you the usual "Sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime" note...

"Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime"? :angry: :angry:

Rant over (Jesus, I must cut down on the coffee intake!)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely another factor is that there is no point reporting a crime when you know nothing is going to be done about it!

My mate was burgled and the police just told him to change his locks and gave him a crime number so he could claim on the insurance.

New labour...PAH

Dave the UKIP convert
Kilroy Silk for PM

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
As we all know figs can be manipulated to look good ... real worry is crime has increased and it isnt just a labour or tory thing .. as wozza points out ..how many police stations remain un manned at night etc... I think New york represents a good example of crime down.. they achieved it by putting more bobbies on beat etc and zero tolarance .. seems to have worked

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
I heard that in B&H crime had droped by around 4-5% however "sex rated crime has risen by a worrying (and here is where I'm scared to quote) 40%" however that may have been 14% I'm not sure cos I heard it on the radio and couldn't believe my ears if it was 40!

Unless the numbers were v.low such as a 40% from 5 cases in 2003 to 7 cases in 2004. Still "worrying" nontheless

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Wozza said:
Okay, I'll put it another way.

Was anyone 'in' the last time you went to a police station?

The last two times (in fact the only) I have been to Police stations people have been in. One was in Central London and the other a rural station. Both were manned and very helpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports