Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crawley v Swindon

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
You could guess that Swindon fans are still quite bitter about that Adam Virgo goal twenty years ago.

But it's harder to understand that by far their favourite song is about the 1969 League Cup Final.
It's a good one to be fair, and they all sing along and know all the words. Even though no more than 40 of the 1,040 in the away end would have been alive in 1969

Still a decent afternoon in the sunshine at our Sussex neighbours.

Swindon's hopes of promotion took a knock with this 3-1 defeat. 67% possession, but not enough goals. Does that sound familiar?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not too hard to understand really, their League Cup success of 1969 was about the only real success Swindon have ever enjoyed, their all too brief sojurn in the Premier League apart.

Doubtless Don Rogers has the freedom of the County Ground as a result.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not too hard to understand really, their League Cup success of 1969 was about the only real success Swindon have ever enjoyed, their all too brief sojurn in the Premier League apart.

Doubtless Don Rogers has the freedom of the County Ground as a result.

Don Rogers has a stand named after him.......but in all seriousness its a bit of silverware won ......we BHA have won no silverware!!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Don Rogers has a stand named after him.......but in all seriousness its a bit of silverware won ......we BHA have won no silverware!!!
We've won more than you think, albeit nothing major except the Charity Shield.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite so. Where most clubs have trophy rooms we have a trophy shelf. Still it saves on the dusting l guess.

It’s a trophy cabinet in the entry to the boardroom. We have replica cups for the divisions we have won, the playoff trophy etc.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
League Two's promotion places are crazy.

Forest Green were about 15 points clear a month ago. Now it's down to just five with Exeter storming up the table but any club in the top half can make the play offs or automatic promotion (just please don't be Salford City with their class of '92 owners).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly. Swindon have won a proper, honest-to-goodness, top level, genuine English Cup competition, one that was open to all the top clubs. They beat Arsenal in the Final, and Derby and Burnley (among others) on their way there. By contrast we've only won competitions where the Big Boys don't enter because the criteria for entry is you have to be shit to start with: League Two Champions in 2001 for example. Oh, and we're often the best side in Sussex!

Hold tight to that 112-year old Charity Shield win people, it's all we've got.

The funny thing about yesterday’s game was that Crawley had only one fit centre-back and no fit left backs. So were forced to play 4 midfielders in a back 5. Oh dear Swindon

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Their older supporters are still aggrieved about the 1976/77 game at their place that was called off at half time after a monsoon with them winning comfortably. I believe that we won the re-arranged game, but by then were already promoted.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I was at the match. OK Crawley rode a bit if luck but all teams do. They ran out worthy winners. What was quite distinctly different and refreshing was how the teams wanted to get the ball forward and attack minded none of this pass it around the back line countless times. Very entertaining football even if overall there was a difference in skill level from PL to L2.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Their older supporters are still aggrieved about the 1976/77 game at their place that was called off at half time after a monsoon with them winning comfortably. I believe that we won the re-arranged game, but by then were already promoted.

We were 4-0 down, when it was abandoned.

The rematch we lost 2-1, I remember going. I think Wardy opened the scoring…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here