Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crawley Town no longer officially exist

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Basically he said he isn’t racist so he isn’t, ok?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Blimey his view ‘why aren’t people focussing on what I wasn’t found guilty of’ 😂

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I guess he won't be hanging around at Roffey games anymore. The crypto bros have made a decent appointment, but I'm not sure how successful it'll be, I have my scepticism about how well its going to work. Brentford and Brighton are the life work of their owners, they think its easy to replicate which it is not. I still think the Yems verdict shocked a lot of fans, as due to the small nature of the club, most knew him personally and thought he was a decent bloke, which he clearly is not. Some people will never forgive the new owners for sacking Yems, but clearly they were right, still think this will all end in tears. As @LennyTee says they are returning to their natural level, as the National League is an absolute pig to get out of.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's being interviewed by Jim White on TS........no apology (in fact thinks a few need to apologise to him), maybe 'used a few words that he shouldn't have' was as close as he got.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
A really weird article that didn’t contain a single reference to the racism scandal at the club. Glib cuttings piece
The Athletic has a superb piece about them.

It seems the owners have their heart in the right place, they are learning in a place where you can't afford to make mistakes. However, I don't trust crypto, especially not NFTs so it is bound to end in tears at some point.

I do feel Crawley would have had more success in pulling in fans if their upwards rise didn't occur simultaneously with us getting the Amex and getting promoted from League One. Who knows what would've happened if we didn't go up? They were in League One a couple years after we went up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

It seems the owners have their heart in the right place, they are learning in a place where you can't afford to make mistakes. However, I don't trust crypto, especially not NFTs so it is bound to end in tears at some point.

I do feel Crawley would have had more success in pulling in fans if their upwards rise didn't occur simultaneously with us getting the Amex and getting promoted from League One. Who knows what would've happened if we didn't go up? They were in League One a couple years after we went up.
In all honesty l don't think it would have made too much difference, Crawley were until fairly recently a non- league club, and many residents of the town were already Albion, or (shame) Palace fans, and allegiances rarely change. Being a small town, in footballing terms at least), even if the club were to get promoted back up to League One, l can't see the attendences rising very much.

Success for Crawley, for so long a non-league club, should be about Football League survival. Good luck to them in there quest.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In all honesty l don't think it would have made too much difference, Crawley were until fairly recently a non- league club, and many residents of the town were already Albion, or (shame) Palace fans, and allegiances rarely change. Being a small town, in footballing terms at least), even if the club were to get promoted back up to League One, l can't see the attendences rising very much.

Success for Crawley, for so long a non-league club, should be about Football League survival. Good luck to them in there quest.
A bigger town than Burnley

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

I see your point. I myself never lived in Crawley so I can only believe what you say. But the Amex definitely created a new generation of Albion fans who absolutely could've been lost to Crawley had we not gone up and got the Amex. I l

As you're in the area, do you know why so many Crawley fans absolutely despise the Albion?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I also don't think they are very welcoming either, Worthing, Lewes, Bognor, Horsham and Hastings have done extraordinarily well over the last few years by welcoming anyone into the ground to watch football. Where as Crawley often feel quite hostile to Brighton fans, despite the possibility of collecting a few of us to support them when we are away. On New Years Day in 2022, Hastings, Worthing and Bognor all had a higher attendance than Crawley.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I also don't think they are very welcoming either, Worthing, Lewes, Bognor, Horsham and Hastings have done extraordinarily well over the last few years by welcoming anyone into the ground to watch football. Where as Crawley often feel quite hostile to Brighton fans, despite the possibility of collecting a few of us to support them when we are away. On New Years Day in 2022, Hastings, Worthing and Bognor all had a higher attendance than Crawley.
Had the same feeling when I went around 9/10 years ago and I ended up talking with a groundhopper instead. No one cared to explain why they had such anger towards us either.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
As you're in the area, do you know why so many Crawley fans absolutely despise the Albion?
Having lived in Crawley for a long time, I never got the feeling they despised us, I think after having been non league for such a long time they felt they needed a rival, so perhaps the fans were trying to create a rivalry.
I personally couldn’t care less about them as a club, despite my uncle once being a director back in their Town Mead days, I always looked at them as a little club doing their best with no money and a very small fanbase.
I hope they don’t go down, and I hope they don’t end up going bust, they’re pretty insignificant to us in the scheme of things.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I see your point. I myself never lived in Crawley so I can only believe what you say. But the Amex definitely created a new generation of Albion fans who absolutely could've been lost to Crawley had we not gone up and got the Amex. I l

Crawley is a new town which was only created in the 1950's. The majority of people who moved there came from south London, Palace territory. Although that generation has now largely passed away, their decendents are now to a large degree Crystal Palace fans.

Hence the anti Albion feeling that exists amongst many in the town.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Having lived in Crawley for a long time, I never got the feeling they despised us, I think after having been non league for such a long time they felt they needed a rival, so perhaps the fans were trying to create a rivalry.
I personally couldn’t care less about them as a club, despite my uncle once being a director back in their Town Mead days, I always looked at them as a little club doing their best with no money and a very small fanbase.
I hope they don’t go down, and I hope they don’t end up going bust, they’re pretty insignificant to us in the scheme of things.

I find it weird that Brighton / Crawley don’t have a better relationship when it comes to loan players

League 2 football and close to Brighton, seems like a win win for both clubs and the player.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ah! The old "accidental racist" excuse.

Maybe if it happened once and something accidentally slipped out, you couldn't excuse it but perhaps you could understand it. Found guilty of TWELVE offences though. Nope, that was no accident. If you have racism on repeat, that is no "subconcious" event.

Complete bollocks and the authorities fail yet again.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Hopefully someone will apologise to him. Along the lines of " sorry you're a thick, ugly , racist twat. Just bants, it's what I said when I was a kid".

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I find it weird that Brighton / Crawley don’t have a better relationship when it comes to loan players

League 2 football and close to Brighton, seems like a win win for both clubs and the player.
yes- recently we've loaned a fair few players to other league two clubs but I think only a handful to Crawley in the past 10 years?

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Crawley is a new town which was only created in the 1950's. The majority of people who moved there came from south London, Palace territory. Although that generation has now largely passed away, their decendents are now to a large degree Crystal Palace fans.

Hence the anti Albion feeling that exists amongst many in the town.
I'll poke my nose in here.
Few things being said that made me smile and need correcting....first thing, Brighton are not hated by Crawley Town fans or anyone in crawley for that matter,except maybe those that support Palace ....Palace by the way are not the London team that gets the most support in this town.Its Chelsea ,Tottenham ,West Ham ,Arsenal then maybe Palace .We do have Brighton supporters but not that many compared to the London clubs mentioned.
Brighton has never been well supported here and as such never been hated.Even when we played you in the 3rd round of the fa cup there was no, oh great ,glad we're playing Brighton we hate them.it was more let's go down mob handed go on the piss have a laugh and see what the day brings.Remember Crawley lads back then always had hassle getting in clubs and bars in Brighton and often ended up in a bit of trouble before the night was through .It was just the same mentality for the fa cup game.
But as I say no hatred at all towards Brighton ,and when you play Palace people are just not bothered either way who wins .
On the current crisis at the club I'd say this season will see us relegated and then the freefall to national south ,if we're lucky..
To much has happened this season that's brought instability and even chaos, this can't be good for any club and will only end badly for Crawley Town .
Big rest of January coming up with Sutton away and then 3 home games that are at least winnable from our point of view.
Things will be a lot clearer in a couple of weeks .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here