Crawley supposedly about to appoint John Gregory

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Rather harsh.

Crawley Town fans are realistic about our status.We all know we're out our comfort zone and look out of place in League One.We're a non-league club mixing it with many well established league clubs and at times find it difficult dealing with the adjustment.We do however have a history,the club has been around since 1896,long before the new town was even thought about.So the tin pot remarks are just a tad disingenuous to a club that's been around well over a hundred years.

At the moment we are having a few issues,but every football club has issues from time to time,even Brighton has had a few over the years.I soppose many other clubs fans thought you were tin pot when you were playing at Withdean stadium.
Owning and running a football club in this day and age is a massive undertaking.For a club like Crawley it's even more challenging.We are sandwiched between Brighton and the London clubs, which makes the fan base difficult to grow.We are trying to establish ourselves as a league club knowing it could all fall apart at any moment.We are all aware the slide back to the conference is always just around the corner,but heh,you gotta live the dream ain't ya.

Very fair comments, and well done to you Red.

Unfortunately the bravado that came out of Crawley during the Majeed era has tainted your club, especially down here on the The Riviera. ' One club in Sussex' etc etc.

For the true Crawley fans I wish you a painless descent back to League 2 or top end of Conference (?) from where you can begin to rebuild.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Richie Barkers sacking is shrouded in mystery at the moment.
Was he sacked because of results,or was it because he was in contact with Portsmouth.Im sure our owners must have crossed the t's and dotted the i's before terminating Barkers contract.He still had 18 months left to run on it.
The sacking has split our fan base.Many think he deserved more time to turn round the teams fortunes.Others are glad to see him go mainly due to the negative way he set his team out at home games.He was very fond of playing one up front and far to often the side lacked a cutting edge in the final third.All would agree we needed to be more adventurous when attacking,it was frustrating to watch most games.It became even more frustrating because he always seemed to stubborn to make changes.

Not sure why Steve Coppell has gone.We presume it's out of solidarity to Richie Barker.Or he could have the hump because the decision was made without consulting him,after all,he was the director of football.
I would have preferred it if he had stayed but we are where we are.

As for John Gregory,well that is a surprise contender.He is looking like the odds on favourite though and I reckon there is a very good chance he will be in charge for the FA cup match at Bristol Rovers on Saturday.
Is he the right man for the job? I have absolutely no idea.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think Steve Coppell's loss to Crawley will hit them harder than Barker's. The status he has in the game and the contacts he has will have helped Crawley in bringing in players on loan and permanently. While their location will continue to be of some benefit in that regard, I think they may not come to appreciate what Coppell brought to the club until he's no longer there.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
I think Steve Coppell's loss to Crawley will hit them harder than Barker's. The status he has in the game and the contacts he has will have helped Crawley in bringing in players on loan and permanently. While their location will continue to be of some benefit in that regard, I think they may not come to appreciate what Coppell brought to the club until he's no longer there.

That is a very fair comment.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
He was very fond of playing one up front and far to often the side lacked a cutting edge in the final third.All would agree we needed to be more adventurous when attacking,it was frustrating to watch most games.It became even more frustrating because he always seemed to stubborn to make changes.

Has anyone ever seen Richie Barker and Gus Poyet in the same room??

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wonder which of our discards they will sign next?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So, Gregory is not just managing the team then ? I suppose he has to run the burger van,get the kit washed and sell all those raffle tickets too ?

You forgot the: calling his his star player fat & dropping him; ignoring mental health problems of players; & banging on about Bruce ****ing Springsteen at any given opportunity... :tosser:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
From the BBC Website

John Gregory: Crawley appoint ex-Aston Villa boss as manager
Crawley Town have appointed former Aston Villa, Derby and QPR boss John Gregory as their new manager.

The 59-year-old has not managed in England since he was sacked by Rangers in 2007 and has since had spells in Israel and Kazakhstan.

Gregory has signed an 18-month contract with the League One club and replaces Richie Barker, who was dismissed last week after 15 months in charge.

The Reds are on an eight-match winless streak and are 15th in the table.

Gregory's managerial career
•Portsmouth: 1989-1990
•Plymouth: 1990 (caretaker manager)
•Wycombe: 1996-1998
•Aston Villa: 1998-2002
•Derby County: 2002-2003
•QPR: 2006-2007
•Maccabi Ahi Nazareth: 2009-2010
•FC Ashdod: 2010-2011
•FC Kairat: 2011

Gregory won six England caps during a playing career which included spells at Villa, QPR, Derby, Bolton, Plymouth, Brighton and Northampton.

His first managerial job was at Portsmouth and he had a two-year spell in charge of Wycombe before taking over at Aston Villa, who reached the FA Cup final under him in 2000.

"I'm delighted to be here, back in English football at a club who have made tremendous progress over the last three years," said Gregory.

"When I met the directors I was impressed by their ambition to keep on moving Crawley Town forward.

"You can't stand still in football and the potential at this club is enormous.

"We have got a good squad of players and I have every confidence that they can challenge for the play-offs.

"You have to aim high and I'm really looking forward to getting on the training ground with the players and kicking on."

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
From the BBC Website

John Gregory: Crawley appoint ex-Aston Villa boss as manager
Crawley Town have appointed former Aston Villa, Derby and QPR boss John Gregory as their new manager.

The 59-year-old has not managed in England since he was sacked by Rangers in 2007 and has since had spells in Israel and Kazakhstan.

Gregory has signed an 18-month contract with the League One club and replaces Richie Barker, who was dismissed last week after 15 months in charge.

The Reds are on an eight-match winless streak and are 15th in the table.

Gregory's managerial career
•Portsmouth: 1989-1990
•Plymouth: 1990 (caretaker manager)
•Wycombe: 1996-1998
•Aston Villa: 1998-2002
•Derby County: 2002-2003
•QPR: 2006-2007
•Maccabi Ahi Nazareth: 2009-2010
•FC Ashdod: 2010-2011
•FC Kairat: 2011

Gregory won six England caps during a playing career which included spells at Villa, QPR, Derby, Bolton, Plymouth, Brighton and Northampton.

His first managerial job was at Portsmouth and he had a two-year spell in charge of Wycombe before taking over at Aston Villa, who reached the FA Cup final under him in 2000.

"I'm delighted to be here, back in English football at a club who have made tremendous progress over the last three years," said Gregory.

"When I met the directors I was impressed by their ambition to keep on moving Crawley Town forward.

"You can't stand still in football and the potential at this club is enormous.

"We have got a good squad of players and I have every confidence that they can challenge for the play-offs.

"You have to aim high and I'm really looking forward to getting on the training ground with the players and kicking on."

Doesn't every new manager say their new club has 'great potential'. I got sick of Albion managers using that phrase. But for Crawley?? As one of their fans points out above, they are at the max of their potential now.

Smacks of disaster. Shame.

PG

PS EIGHT games WITHOUT A GOAL!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Rather harsh.

Crawley Town fans are realistic about our status.We all know we're out our comfort zone and look out of place in League One.We're a non-league club mixing it with many well established league clubs and at times find it difficult dealing with the adjustment.We do however have a history,the club has been around since 1896,long before the new town was even thought about.So the tin pot remarks are just a tad disingenuous to a club that's been around well over a hundred years.

At the moment we are having a few issues,but every football club has issues from time to time,even Brighton has had a few over the years.I soppose many other clubs fans thought you were tin pot when you were playing at Withdean stadium.
Owning and running a football club in this day and age is a massive undertaking.For a club like Crawley it's even more challenging.We are sandwiched between Brighton and the London clubs, which makes the fan base difficult to grow.We are trying to establish ourselves as a league club knowing it could all fall apart at any moment.We are all aware the slide back to the conference is always just around the corner,but heh,you gotta live the dream ain't ya.

117 years and you're still sh!t.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
117 years and you're still sh!t.

Really? 15th position in the 3rd tier is one we'd have welcomed for much of our history, as recently as 2010.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How can Crawley Town FC be 117 years old when the town isn't?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports